3

The Darkness That Follows Me

 

   
 
 
 
 
     It started when I was 5. I didn't understand it at first, why people were constantly getting hurt, some even dying, people treating me as if I was some sort of monster. My parents acted like they were afraid of me. I had only one friend, Minhyuk. Whenever I talked to him in public everyone would either stare or run away. I always thought it was because they found him intimidating or something. I was 13 when I realized it was because I am the only one who could see him. When I confronted him about it, he finally showed me his true form. His eyes were darker than charcoal, skin whiter than snow. Dark circles surrounded his eyes and scars covered his body.
     
     "What do you want with me?" I asked him. I was very frightened by what stood before me. "Are you afraid of me now? My appearance changed but I didn't. Are you going to throw me away now? Am I no longer good enough for you?" I couldn't answer him. What he said is true but it was still pretty scary. "You can't get rid of me. I could do to you what I did to everyone who gets close to you." I froze in my place. It was him the whole time? "W-what do you mean?" He walked closer to me, "You are my friend. You only belong to me. I will not share you with anyone! That includes your parents. The only reason they are still alive is because you still depend on them." He leaned in to me and whispered in my ear, "You. Are. Mine!" 
 
     On my 18th birthday, he killed my parents."You don't need them anymore." he said with a smirk. That was the last straw. I had to get away from him. I saved up all my money and secretly bought a train ticket to Seoul the other day. I never wanted to leave Mokpo but if it's the only way to get away from Minhyuk, I will gladly do it. I'd be living in the second house my parents own for when they had business in Seoul. I packed a small backpack with things I really need. I can't take everything, he will become suspicious. I walked down the stairs to the living room where he was sitting on the couch. "I'm going to school." I said with a fake smile. He got off the couch and came up to me kissing me on the cheek, "Ok baby, have a good day!" I cringed when he called me baby. Two years ago he had declared himself my boyfriend. When I tried to decline, he pushed me down the stairs so I had no choice. I nodded to him and walked out the door. With each step I took walking to the train station, I felt more relieved.
 
     It was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I slept the entire train ride and before I knew it, I was in Seoul. The neighborhood I would live in was not far from the station so I just walked. It was quiet, but very relaxing, just what I need. I saw the blue house at the end of the street and smiled. I can finally start a new life, make new friends, be happy. I opened the door and was welcomed by beautiful decor. "It's beautiful."
 
     "Yes it is." I froze. I know that voice. Slowly I turned around and saw Minhyuk standing at the door. "I....what....h-how...." I couldn't form a proper sentence. "Did you really think you could get away that easily?" He scoffed and slammed me against the wall, his eyes going dark. "I told you before, you can't get rid of me! I hear your thoughts, I know where you are at all times!" He threw me to the ground and climbed on top of me circling his hands around my throat. "You ever try something like that again, I will end you! Do you understand?"
     
     I was feeling light headed from the lack of oxygen so all I could manage was a small nod. "Good." he said releasing me. "Baby, you belong to me. We will be together forever, okay?" He gently caressed my hair as I was still catching my breath. That was when I knew I would never be free. I would always be trapped by this....I don't know what he is. All I know is that he is nothing but darkness and I will never see light. 
 
 
 


 

     
 
 
     "Who lives there?" I heard a voice outside my window. I didn't recognize it so I guessed it belongs to the guy who just moved in. I was curious of what he looks like so I peaked out the window. My breath left me as I saw him. He was absolutely beautiful. Chocolate single-lidded eyes, sharp jaw line, plump lips, I couldn't take my eyes off him. But then I heard Sungmin speak, "Listen Hyukjae," Hyukjae? That's a nice name. "Whatever you do, stay away from that house." I could see Hyukjae looking confused. "Why?" he asked. Sungmin continued saying how dangerous I am and how I try to kill everyone. My heart almost broke when I saw the horrified look on his face. I guess it's for the best though.
     
     "What are you doing?" I quickly turned around and tried to stay calm. "Nothing. I was just enjoying the view of nature." I should have known better than to lie to Minhyuk. "You're lying. Stay away from him." He glared at me before exiting the room. I released the breath I didn't know I was holding and quickly went back to the window. I was kind of disappointed when I saw them leave but unexpectedly, Hyukjae turned back and looked right at the window I was at. I quickly closed the curtain and hid behind the wall. I hope he didn't see me. "Baby! Let's watch a movie!" I looked out the window one more time before going downstairs.
 
     I sat down next to Minhyuk who handed me a bowl of popcorn. "What are we watching?" I asked him. "Titanic. Your favorite movie!" He leaned in and pecked me on my lips. About ten minutes into the movie he grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently. "If I ever catch you near him, I'll kill him." I gulped. I know for a fact that whatever he says, he means it. He kissed my forehead and turned his attention back onto the movie.
 

 

 

Is it too weird? I tried to make it longer but I'm getting sleepy :p

Comment and Subscribe!

To Silent Readers: Thank you for reading! You don't have to comment but I'd appreciate it if you do! :)