1

The Darkness That Follows Me

 

 

 

           

 

     It was a bright sunny day as a young man stepped out from a taxi, taking a deep breath of fresh air. He finally made it to Seoul! When he found out he was adopted, he always wanted to visit his birth place. What he was told was his parents died in a car crash when he was 6 months old and he was put into foster care. A middle aged couple, Mr. and Mrs. Lee, adopted him and brought him to America. They gave him the name Spencer Lee, but his birth name is Hyukjae, and since he is in the country of his birth, he decided to go by Hyukjae from now on. On the outside, the Lees looked like any normal happy family, but behind closed doors, they were very abusive. After 25 years of being abused, Hyukjae finally got free when his neighbor secretly recorded the abuse and they were sent to jail.

     Hyukjae grabbed his luggage out of the trunk of the taxi and headed to the front door of his new home. This is it. He thought to himself. This is the start of a new life. It was a really beautiful home. There was a large oak tree in the front yard, a decent sized porch, and a porch swing. He unlocked the door and walked inside. The living room had a simple design, tan walls, white couch, and wood floors. There were three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big kitchen and a fairly large backyard. The perfect house for a new family. I have no family. He unpacked his bags and took a long, relaxing shower. He wiped steam off the mirror and stared at his reflection. With his single lidded eyelids, sharp jaw line, plump lips and short black hair, all the girls practically threw themselves at him. Too bad for them, he’s gay. He admired his looks in the mirror a little while longer before he got dressed. Just as he pulled the shirt over his head the doorbell rang. Who the heck could it be? I just got here. He opened the door and was greeted by a guy dressed in all pink, holding a pink cake.

     “Hello! I’m Sungmin! I’m your new neighbor! I brought over this strawberry cake I made!” Hyukjae had a hard time understanding what he said because his Korean skills are not that great and the guy was talking too fast. “Uh…could you repeat what you said?” he said in accented Korean. “Oh! That’s right! I heard you are from America! I’ll speak English ok? Just until your Korean gets better! Wait, I have a better idea! I’ll help you perfect it!” Sungmin shoved the cake in his hands, “Lee Sungmin! You’re Spencer right?” Hyukjae just gave him a confused look. How does he know all this about me? “Uh, call me Hyukjae.” Sungmin nodded and smiled brightly at him. “Come on! Go put the cake away and let me introduce you to the others!” He shoved Hyukjae in the direction of the kitchen. I guess it couldn’t hurt to make a few friends. He put the cake in the fridge, of course not before dipping his finger in the frosting and eating the strawberry goodness, and walked out to Sungmin.

     They walked up and down the street going to every single house introducing each other. So far, there was Leeteuk and his boyfriend Kangin, Yesung, Shindong and his wife Nari, Kyuhyun and Siwon, also a couple, Heechul, Kibum, Ryeowook, Sungmin’s boyfriend, Zhou Mi and Henry. They all decided to go to Sungmin’s to eat dinner. Hyukjae noticed they skipped a house but figured no one lived there. He was proven wrong when he saw a light go on through the closed curtains in the window. Why didn’t they introduce me to whomever lives there? “Who lives there?” Hyukjae asked pointing to the blue house at the end of the street. Everyone froze in their tracks, glancing nervously at each other. “Listen Hyukjae,” Sungmin spoke up. “Whatever you do, stay away from that house.” Hyukjae was starting to get a little creeped out. “Why?” Sungmin sighed, “The guy who lives there, Lee Donghae, he is a very dangerous person.”

     “He is very cold hearted and mean and he…well…he tries to kill everyone who steps foot into his home.” At this point, Hyukjae was very creeped out. “Why doesn’t anyone call the police?” How can they let someone like that live freely? “The police won’t do anything about it. We don’t know why. Enough about him, let’s go! I’m starving!” Sungmin smiled, turning the atmosphere back into a cheery one. Hyukjae took one last look at the house and noticed how the curtain was now opened a bit but quickly shut. Is everything they say true? 


First chappie! I hope I don't disappoint :p