The Truth

Counting the Days

Minseok woke up first and got up carefully.  He was sore in more places than just his leg.  He smiled and pulled on some boxers before heading to take a shower.  He walked out quietly and found Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun passed out in various places.  Baekhyun was sleeping on a chair, Jongdae was asleep on the floor, and Chanyeol was asleep on the coffee table.  Kyungsoo poked his head out of the kitchen and smiled.

“Good morning,” he greeted.  

“Morning,” Minseok replied.

“I’m making coffee and breakfast right now, but do you need anything?” Kyungsoo asked.

“No, I’m good.  Seriously Kyungsoo, you’re worse than a mom.  You need a new hobby,” Minseok commented.  Kyungsoo just shrugged and went back to the kitchen.  Minseok chuckled and took his shower.  When he came out everyone else was up.  They were all sitting at the table and Chanyeol looked almost ill.

“Seriously Kyungsoo, how do you NOT have a hangover?  You should be rolling on the ground in agony like the rest of us,” Chanyeol grumbled.  Jongdae didn’t look too bad, but Baekhyun looked almost as bad as Chanyeol.  Luhan looked positively chipper and smiled as Minseok walked into the room.

“I just don’t,” Kyungsoo replied, putting plates in front of them.

“Not so loud,” Chanyeol said wincing.  There was a knock at the door and the other three groaned.  Minseok just chuckled.

“I’ll get it,” Luhan said.  He got up and answered the door, Minseok following.  On the other side of the doorway was a tall boy with pitch black hair and intense looking eyes.  He was almost intimidating.  He looked like he was about to say something, but his eyes grew wide with shock.

“Luhan?” he asked, his voice full of disbelief.  ”Oh my God Luhan!”  The boy practically jumped on Luhan, hugging him hard.  Luhan looked shocked.  ”Jesus Luhan!  Where have you been?  What have you been doing?  Why didn’t you call?  Wufan!”  The boy let go of Luhan and another boy came into view, this one just as tall and just as intimidating.  He looked at Luhan and blinked before getting tears in his eyes.

“I’m sorry, but who are you two?” Minseok asked, walking over.

“I’m Wufan, Luhan’s ex, who are you?” the blonde boy replied.  Minseok looked at Luhan in shock.  Luhan looked just as shocked.

“I’m Minseok, Luhan’s boyfriend,” Minseok replied slowly.  Wufan looked confused, as if he had heard the name before.  It took only a moment to realization to invade his features.

“I’m Zitao,” the other boy said quickly, grabbing Wufan’s arm.  Wufan shook his head quickly and lost his expression.  There was something familiar about the name Wufan, but Minseok was having a hard time placing it.  ”Luhan, why haven’t you called us?”

“I’m sorry.  I was in a car accident a few months back.  I don’t remember anything before that,” Luhan replied.  Zitao and Wufan looked at each other and then looked at Luhan with worry.

“Are you okay?” Wufan asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.  I’ve been living here since I was released from the hospital,” Luhan explained.  ”I was in a coma and Minseok helped me pull through.”  Luhan took Minseok’s hand and smiled at him.  Minseok smiled back, his mind still searching for who Wufan was and why he sounded so familiar.

“Well we just moved in next door.  We came to greet the new neighbors,” Zitao said, wrapping his arm around Wufan’s shoulders loosely.

“Oh, and it’s nice to meet you.  I’d bring over the other roommate, but he’s currently battling a hangover,” Minseok replied.  The two smiled and chuckled.

“Luhan, can we talk to you later?” Wufan asked.

“Uh, yeah, that’s fine,” Luhan replied.  The two nodded slightly and went back to their apartment.  Luhan closed the door and looked deep in thought.  ”Wufan…”  It was then memories flooded into Minseok’s mind.  He doubled over and fell to his knees, holding his head.  Luhan’s voice sounded so distant as he shouted Minseok’s name.

Minseok walked on the sidewalk.  It was late and he was on his way home from visiting a friend across town.  It wasn’t far enough to want to drive so he decided to walk.  He waited for the light to turn green before walking in the crosswalk.  He saw headlights out of the corner of his eye and looked over.  The car wasn’t slowing down.  He tried to get out of the way, but the car hit him, mostly on the left side.  He heard the car tires squeal before blacking out.

He was drifting in and out of consciousness when he cracked his eyes open.  Everything hurt and he moaned in pain.  He could see a boy with curly blonde hair pacing above him, holding the phone to his ear.

“Wufan I hit someone!  What part of that did you miss?” he shouted.  He had tears in his eyes and was running his free hand through his hair endlessly.  ”I already told you where I was!  I think he’s still alive.  Wufan, there’s so much blood.  I can’t stay here!  No!  I can’t!”  Minseok saw the boy put the phone in his pocket and run back to his car.  He heard the car drive away right before he passed out again.

Minseok felt Luhan’s hand on his shoulder and he slapped it away.  He looked at Minseok confused and concerned.  Minseok just looked at Luhan with disbelief and hurt.

“Minseok, what’s wrong?” Luhan asked, his eyes pleading.

“You hit me,” Minseok said.  

“I don’t understand,” Luhan said, sounding frantic.

“The person that hit me with the car and left me.  It was you,” Minseok replied.  He stood up and backed away from Luhan.  Luhan didn’t get up, his eyes wide and afraid.  At first he didn’t know how to respond.  He stood up slowly.

“I…I…” Luhan began.  He put his hand to his hand, obviously remembering.  He looked up at Minseok and took a step toward him.  Minseok just backed away from him.  ”Minseok…”  Luhan reached for him with tears in his eyes, but Minseok just looked away.  Luhan grabbed his jacket and Jongdae’s car keys, running out of the apartment.

“What the hell just happened?” Jongdae asked, looking concerned.  Wufan also appeared in the doorway, looking fearful.

“He ran me over Jongdae…” Minseok said softly.  Jongdae put his hand on Minseok’s shoulder and Wufan ran to the window, opening it.

“Luhan!  Stop!” Wufan shouted.  Minseok looked over and heard the car drive off.  Wufan stormed over to Minseok and punched him in the face.  Minseok fell to the ground, rubbing his cheek.  Chanyeol and Baekhyun held Wufan back.  ”You son of a !  Luhan takes things like this hard!”

“How do you think I felt?” Minseok demanded as Jongdae helped him up.  ”He left me there!”

“He was scared!  I thought taking away his license and phone away the next day would keep him in the house, but he was so upset!  He drove anyway and apparently ended up hitting a tree!  He’s not in the right mindset right now!  I can’t even imagine what he’s feeling right now.  And he hasn’t been on his meds for months,” Wufan explained.  Minseok looked confused.

“Meds?  There’s nothing wrong with him,” Minseok said curiously.

“I wouldn’t expect you to know.  He was taking anti-depressants.  He gets suicidal when he’s overly upset,” Wufan explained.  Chanyeol and Baekhyun let go of Wufan, shock apparent on everyone’s face.

“Go find him,” Kyungsoo said, walking over.  Minseok looked over.

“You can take my car.  Don’t let him do anything to himself,” Baekhyun said.  Minseok nodded and Baekhyun gave him his keys.  Minseok took them and raced down the stairs, not even wanting to wait for the elevator.  He jumped into the car and sped off, looking for Jongdae’s car.

“Luhan…Where did you go…” Minseok asked to the universe.  He thought for a moment.  He took a sharp right, cutting off a car.  He wasn’t sure, but he had an idea where he went.  He drove to the scene where he got hit.  He could hear car horns and tire squealing in the distance and followed the sounds.  He could see the car and Luhan behind the wheel, crying and staring straight.  He followed Luhan’s line if sight and his eyes grew wide.  He was looking at the bridge.

Minseok thought quickly and sped.  Baekhyun’s car was better than Jongdae’s and Minseok apologized silently for what he was about to do.  He beat Luhan to the bridge and turned the wheel sharply, getting in Luhan’s way.  Luhan hit the breaks, but too late.  The two cars collided and Baekhyun’s was forced off the bridge and into the river below.  

For a moment Minseok couldn’t hear anything.  Time seemed to flow in slow motion and it was almost peaceful.  Minseok could feel Luhan’s hands all over him again.  He could feel Luhan’s lips on his own.  He smiled slightly.

When the car hit the water Minseok’s head was slammed hard against the window, hard enough to crack the window.  The water was starting to fill the car and for a moment Minseok felt panic.  He couldn’t breathe and the water hadn’t even reached his head.  Everything was blurry and he could feel warm liquid streaming down the side of his head.  He had enough sense to hold his breath as soon as he was completely submerged.  He felt the car hit the bottom of the river and just didn’t move.  He couldn’t. 

He looked at the cracked window and looked slightly shocked.  Luhan was there, looking afraid.  He had something in his hands and was pounding at the already cracked window.  Minseok closed his eyes and it felt like ages until he felt Luhan pulling at him.  His lungs were on fire and coughed out air, in water.  Luhan managed to get him out of the car and up to the shore.  Minseok was losing consciousness as Luhan pulled him onto the grass.

“Minseok!  Why did you do that?  You’re so stupid!” Luhan cried.  Minseok opened his eyes and reached up, putting his hand on Luhan’s cheek.  Luhan held his hand there, tears streaming down his face.

“I…didn’t want to see you get hurt…I love…”  Minseok lost consciousness before he could finish his sentence.

Luhan and the others sat in the waiting room at the hospital.  Minseok’s injuries had been extensive and he was taken into surgery.  Luhan’s eyes were red and puffy.  He would still be crying, but he no longer had any tears left.  The others came and went, getting coffee and snacks.  Luhan never moved.  He just sat in the chair, his arms resting on his knees and his hands clasped together with his head down.  The others tried to talk to him, but he wasn’t listening.

The nurse walked out and Luhan immediately jumped up.  He tried not to sway, since he hadn’t eaten, slept, or even moved in about 8 hours.  She sighed and looked at everyone.

“We did the best we could, but we’re not sure he’ll ever come too,” the nurse explained.  ”If you want to see him we request that you only go in one at a time.”  Luhan looked at everyone.

“Go ahead,” Jongdae said.  Luhan raced into Minseok’s room and felt his heart break all over again.  He was hooked up to so many machines.  Luhan pulled up a chair and took Minseok’s hand in his.  His voice was shaking, but clear.

“Hi.  It’s Luhan.  I just wanted to let you know that it’s March 28th.  This would be the first day you’ve been asleep.”