The Sound of Cicadas

The Sound of Cicadas

 

“Jonguppie!!!” Himchan pouted with his chin rested in his palms and his elbow rested castually on the countertop.

“Yes hyung?” Jongup twisted his body to lean over the couch and look at his pouting elder who was now occupying himself with a straw he found laying on the counter. Jongup’s eyes fixated on the way he twirled the straw between his finger tips. His eyes eventually drawn to the pinkness of Himchan’s puffed out lips.

“Would you come with Hyung for a walk? It’s a nice day out and Yonggukkie won’t come with me” Himchan groan tossing a glare at their leader who was sitting cross legged in front of the television set absorbed in the new video game Zelo had purchased the day before.

“Sure…” Jongup wasn’t one to argue with his hyungs, besides Himchan always favoured the younger one because Yongguk more or less treasured their maknae. This didn’t annoy Jongup, but he questioned his hyung’s true intensions.

“Well come on now!” Himchan snapped in a sassy manner that caused a smart remark from Youngjae who was quietly observing the entire scenario.

“Yah! Don’t talk to me so informally!” Himchan hissed and wrapped his arm around Jongup’s shoulder and escorted him out of the dorm.  Jongup tensed his shoulders at Himchan’s touch but Himchan didn’t retreat he just continued walking with the younger one down the street and over to a small park that wasn’t far from where their dorm was.

“Why did you want to go for a walk?” Jongup looked up from his feet and over to Himchan. His breath nearly knocked from his chest cavity seeing the sunlight get caught in Himchan’s fring that messily splayed over his forehead. The sun glistened over his glossy eyes and kissed his cheekbones and lips.

“…Jongup-ah?” Himchan looked at Jongup worriedly… Great he must have responded.

“Sorry Hyung…what did you say? I got distracted…”

“Yah! Jonguppie always so distracted” Himchan chuckled ruffling his hair playfully.

“So, why are we going for a walk?”

“Have you ever heard the sound of Cicadas in August?” Himchan mumbled looking towards the few clouds that laced the blue sky above them.

“Yes…but what does that have to do for going for a walk?” Jongup raised his eyebrows in confusion, eagerly waiting from some sort of clarification from his elder.

“I wanted to sit and listen to them sing”

Jongup’s jaw dropped at how profound this was to him. Normally Himchan was a man of many words and constant nagging and request so for him to just want to listen to the bugs chatter in the treetops shocked Jongup… and if nothing else pulled on his heartstrings, tightening the bodice that Himchan had already laced on his heart.

“Oh…”

“It’s nothing serious… so get ride of those forehead crinkles Jonguppie and lay down with Hyung” Himchan grinned tenderly tugging the maknae down into the long grass that grew under the tree. Himchan and knew exactly where he wanted to listen to the Cicadas because there was no trees close to this one, just a  small stream and bushes. The tree was even removed from the direct path… but Jongup must have dazed off thining about Himchan’s profound reason for go for a walk.

“Jonguppie…Jongup-ah…YAH MOON JONGUP!”

“Yes?” Jongup tilted his head sideways to face Himchan.

“What are you so focused on… this is the third time I have had to snap you out of a day dream” The apparent annoyance in Himchan’s voice was present but Jongup let it roll off his shoulders.

“Sorry Hyung, but I was just entranced in some deep thoughts” Of you…

“Jonguppie you know you can tell hyung anything right?” Himchan curled closer to Jongup… the closeness cause Jongup to jump slightly. What was wrong with him.

“I know hyung” Jongup smiled sheepishly acknolodging his hyung. His beautiful and perfect hyung. The man that caused his temperature to raise and his heart to jump to his throat.

“ahhh Jongup-ah… you are so pleasant to share a quiet moment with” Himchan cooed and tugged him into a tight embrace laying in the grass. Jongup’s burning cheek pressed right to Himchan’s and their lips just inches apart from the way he was pulled into the hold.

All these thoughts were unnerving and sent an electric current coursing through Jongup’s body.

“Ummm….Himch-Hyung”

“Yes Jongup-ah?” Himchan tilted his head to make eyecontact with the younger boy. His breath brushing over Jongup’s lips. The sensation of this sent Jongup into a tailspin of emotions.

“I-umm…” His voice cracked trying to pull himself back together. He wanted to tell Himchan how stuning he was and how he felt for him. Jongup didn’t like to keep things from his hyungs or Zelo for that matter. Thinking about it…. Zelo could have told Youngjae or Yongguk Hyung about Jongup… since he confided in Zelo with this secret. Aish. So stupid.

“Yes…”

“Hyung…I lo-“

“YAH!” Himchan shouted ins urprise when his phone vibrated fiercely in his pocket, gyrating against his hip bone. Sliding the I-phone from his pocket and opening the call Himchan didn’t break eye contact once with Jongup. Jongup didn’t look away either. He wanted to look into Himchan’s chocolate eyes and search from some sign that Himchan knew what he was going to say… and felt the same.

“Yonggukkie…what’s wrong?”

“ahh…ye…Okay right away” The cicadas fell silent and Jongup’s breath hitched in his throat as Himchan sat upright and looked down at him with a bright smile.

“Yongguk needs me to help with something… can we finish this another time?”

“ah….yeah…go ahead…I’ll follow, I’m really  enjoying the cicadas” Jongup pulled a fake smile to his lips, swallowing hard as Himchan stood and dusted himself off.

“Well I’m glad you like them” Himchan chuckled and bowed his head slightly, dismissing himself from where his body had laid in the grass, leaving his figured imprinted in the grass beside Jongup.

I don’t like the Cicadas Hyung…. I like you.

Jongup rolled onto his back, looking up at the tree and letting a tear slip from his eye to trail down his cheek.

I like you Himchan.