The Mind Reader

Finding The Star

“We’re here, Sungyeol.” Sungjong’s high voice reached him from somewhere in the pitch darkness. He shivered as he locked eyes with the bright green orbs of Sungjong that seemed to be throbbing in the dark.

“S-sungjong your – your eyes,” Woohyun managed between shocked gasps.

“What about them?” Sungjong asked in a whisper that made him whimper.

“This way,” he said and didn’t wait for them. Sungyeol didn’t know what to do. If he followed him, he wasn’t sure what it would lead to – most probably their death. But the chance of finding their way through this darkness was impossible as well.

Sighing resignedly, he took Woohyun’s hand and tried to follow Sungjong’s footstep. After what seemed like 15 minutes of walking, they started to hit stone under their feet instead of grass and twigs. And the trees started to lighten around them.

Finally, they could see Sungjong again, standing in front of what looked like a rundown hut. Woohyun gasped.

“Here we are,” Sungjong said, turning to them. Since it was lighter here, his eyes didn’t look so intimidating but they were pulsing softly.

He raised his fist and knocked on the door thrice. Immediately, the door was thrown open from the inside.

“You have guests Myungsoo,” Sungjong said and marched into the house. Sungyeol, after briefly exchanging glances with Woohyun, he followed him into the hut.

It wasn’t a hut inside though – it was wide and spacious room, lavishly decorated with expensive furniture. The scent of incense burning filled the room. Sungjong had already taken a seat on one of the velvet sofas and as they entered, he motioned to them to take seats.

Myungsoo, which he supposed was the name of the caster, was nowhere in sight.

When they had been seated for almost 5 minutes, they heard footsteps and from one of the inner rooms, a man walked out. He was wearing a long black overcoat and had a very pale face. His dark hair was shortly cropped and his eyes widened when he saw Sungjong, who smiled at him.

He looked young too, definitely not older than Dongwoo. Sungyeol gave up – it was time he stopped trying to guess the age and experience from looks.

They got up from their seats and bowed reverently, introducing themselves. Sungyeol mentioned his grandfather.

“I knew him,” Myungsoo said, taking a seat facing them. His voice was deep and he gave out the aura of a spell-caster. He wasn’t certain why the compass hadn’t picked up his mystic energy.

“Because I choose to shield my mystic energy, I don’t like company.”

Sungyeol jumped. He hadn’t said it out aloud but Myungsoo answered as if he had.

“I can read minds, yes.”

That explains it.

“So-so you should know why we’re here.”

Myungsoo stared at him for some time.

“Yes.” He then turned towards Sungjong. “And I suppose you know too?”

Sungyeol frowned slightly, and Myungsoo said, “No I unfortunately don’t have the access to this young man’s mind.”

He nodded at Sungjong, who giggled, crossing his legs. Myungsoo’s eyes followed the progress of his long legs and if Sungyeol wasn’t mistaken, he gulped, averting his eyes form the younger.

“Unfortunately,” Myungsoo now turned to look at Sungyeol and Woohyun. “I cannot interfere with the Sacred Quest. It’s against the rules. No caster can. I’m afraid you’re on your own.”

Sungyeol’s hopes fell. This wasn’t supposed to happen. He had thought it through carefully but now the caster was denying them help.

Then how the hell are we supposed to summon Inspirit?

“Maybe you don’t have to summon it,” Myungsoo said softly. He had a kind look in his eyes and Sungyeol looked at him pleadingly, hoping to move him. Myungsoo glanced towards Sungjong. “Sungyeol, you have what it takes to be a quester, you’re worthy. You can figure it out on your own.”

I – I can? But how…

“Seriosuly Myungsoo, where are your manners? You won’t offer us food and drink?” Sungjong piped in.

Myungsoo nodded and against Sungyeol’s protests, invited them into one of the inner rooms where they sat down to a sumptuous dinner. Myungsoo was a good host, but Sungyeol noticed that he seemed to avoid meeting Sungjong’s eyes. He didn’t blame him though. Even though the younger’s eyes weren’t glowing now, he doubted if he could ever look him in the eye.

Myungsoo seems so nice but what is up with Sungjong? Who is he?

They didn’t talk much. Woohyun was avoiding catching Sungjong’s eyes as well and only replied if they asked him something. Myungsoo didn’t talk either so Sungyeol focused on the task ahead. He now had to find a ways to summon the star without the help of a caster, which was almost impossible.

What am I supposed to do? I don’t have that much time either.

“There is a place out south, a hill that looks down upon the western forests,” Myungsoo said conversationally, drawing everyone’s eyes around the table. “It’s a nice place but not many people go there because they fear the place. It’s notorious; in the olden days, when the earth was thought to be flat, that hill had been marked as the end of the earth. Apparently, if you go beyond that, you’ll vanish into nothingness.”

Woohyun gasped but Sungyeol shot him a warning glare. He realised Myungsoo just told him what the end of the earth in the quest instruction had referred to. At least now they had the place. They also knew about the time. The only obstacle they were facing was the summoning of the star.

Inspirit…I have to summon the star somehow.

Something Myungsoo had said before came back to him - “Maybe you don’t have to summon it.”

That could mean that the star was already on earth, even though that didn’t make sense. Inspirit was visible only on the day of the blue moon and since that was a month away, the star couldn’t be on earth.

Oh wait, what if the star was on earth in some other form?

That provided an exciting possibility for him. He had learned from his grandfather the many ways of tracking stars in different forms. He needed a few things but he was sure he could find them in the forest or make them.

I can do it!

After dinner, Myungsoo offered them rooms to stay the night. Since they were too full, they accepted gratefully.

Sungyeol remembered to secure the door tightly before he fell onto the bed beside Woohyun and fell asleep, dreaming about tracking Inspirit through the forest.

 

---

 

Myungsoo sat on the sofa, his fingers under his chin. His eyes were glued to the figure seated comfortably in front of him, playing with his flimsy nightshirt.

“I don’t understand Sungjong, why are you here? Why are you with them?”

Sungjong’s lips stretched.

“Jealous Myungsoo? Don’t worry.”

He laughed airily, causing Myungsoo to shiver.

“I really don’t understand you.”

He looked away from him, trying to control his thumping heart. He hoped he wasn’t blushing.

“You’re so cute Myungsoo.”

Sungjong stood up and stretched, exposing his thin waist. Myungsoo willed his eyes to stare at the ground.

The younger sauntered towards him and seated himself on his lap. He couldn’t protest as he leaned down to kiss him. He savored the taste of his lips because it was a rare treat and when the younger moved away, he whined, pouting.

“So cute.”

“I thought you were gone.”

Myungsoo’s hands moved on their own and gripped Sungjong’s sides, pulling him closer to him.

“I’m here Myung,” Sungjong whispered breathily, causing his blood to rush wildly. “I’m here.”