No Way Forward

Finding The Star

Sungyeol stood very still, holding in his breath. He dared not move. He couldn’t hear anything else but the hands of the compass were very still too. That could only mean one thing.

Inspirit is nearby.

He gulped noiselessly, pondering what to do. If he was too afraid to take any action, he would lose his only chance at capturing the star and saving the world. He wasn’t sure though how exactly he would capture the star. Stars were supposedly very powerful.

And I have no weapon or anything.

Finally, what seemed like almost half an hour later, he moved. His feet made snapping noises and even though he tiptoed, he couldn’t stop making tiny noises here and there. He was walking blindly now. There was no moonlight and the torch was lying on the ground, lighting a narrow path through the ground with its beam.

I should trust my instincts.

Mystic cosmologists were supposed to have a sixth sense when it came to mystic energy. Of course the sense enhanced with practice and exposure to mystic energy and Sungyeol had almost zero experience but in this situation, he wanted to trust his gut feelings. That was better than walking blind.

He closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on the source of his existence. According to mystic cosmologists, the source of existence is the point of energy around which the human body was built. That was the most powerful part of human beings and if they could connect with it, they would be able to experience enhanced senses.

I must find my soul.

He felt like a lost kid, groping around his insides for his soul. He felt sweat trickle down his spine. This process was strenuous but if done rightly, human beings could tap into their large pool of potential.

Where is the star?

Suddenly, even with his eyes closed, he could see a blue point in the distance. It was softly glowing.

Is that the star?

Slow down, one step at a time.

Right, that – that’s my soul right?

As he approached the blue point, he realized that it was a coil of blue haze and it was continuously spiraling inwards and outwards – that was why it looked like the blue light was throbbing.

I must become one with my soul.

As if he was giving out voice command, the blue light vanished and something heavy settled in his stomach. He could feel the weight of his soul and he knew he had successfully completed the first step of enlightenment.

Now, I have to concentrate on what I really want.

The image of the Sacred Secrets flickered in front of him momentarily, replaced by the vision of a angry green pulsing star.

That’s it, that’s Inspirit.

But the vision of the star disappeared as well. Now he saw a familiar figure. He cocked his head to one side and smiled at him.

Woohyun…

His chest started to constrict in pain. He didn’t want to do this anymore; he wanted the image of Woohyun to vanish. But the picture hung there, against the back of his eyelids, torturing his soul. The pain rose sharply and he felt that his insides were lined with icicles.

He couldn’t take it anymore.

Stop just…stop…

When he opened his eyes, he was on his knees. He was panting heavily and his hair was sticking to his forehead with sweat. His throat was bone dry.

“Look at you, aren’t you cute?”

Mustering the last of his strength, he looked up to find a man towering over him. He wore very dark clothes that he couldn’t identify and in the dark, he seemed to glow slightly. The moon was now high in the sky and the small amount of moonlight that penetrated the canopy was reflected in his tiny eyes.

“I-inspirit?” Sungyeol asked hoarsely.

Everything about the man screamed out mystic energy. Sungyeol could feel it within him – he had to be a star.

The man narrowed his eyes.

“What about her?”

“You – you’re not Inspirit?”

The man flicked at his forehead lightly.

“Do I look like a girl to you?”

Sungyeol remembered Dongwoo mention Inspirit as a ‘she’. He heard the man mutter something like, “I shouldn’t have used the stupid eyeliner – now they think I’m a girl, hmph.”

But the stars could take the form of anyone. Somehow though, he didn’t think this man wasn’t lying.

“You’re a star?”

The man helped him to his feet. His skin was very hot, as if he had dipped it in a pool of hot water.

“And I’m assuming you’re a mystic cosmologist.”

Sungyeol nodded.

Stars usually didn’t harm mystic cosmologists, or anyone for that matter, not unless they got in their way.

Maybe I should ask him about Inspirit…

“I’m Lee Sungyeol.” He bowed and introduced himself.

The man watched him with an amused glint in his eyes.

“Good. Now did you happen to see a brat on your way? I’m missing one.”

His eyes twinkled as he spoke but Sungyeol had no idea what he was talking about. He wasn’t interested either.

“Sorry, no.”

The man shrugged as if it didn’t matter.

“You said something about Inspirit?”

“Yeah – I’m looking for her. Do you happen to know where she is?”

The man looked at him as if he was crazy.

“You’re looking for her on earth now? She doesn’t come down until 2 days silly, she can only come down during the blue moon. Otherwise, she has to be summoned.”

Sungyeol’s throbbing heart gave out. It was with great difficulty that he opened his mouth.

“She – she can’t be on earth except for full moon?”

“And you say you’re a mystic cosmologist.” The man clicked his tongue disapprovingly. “Go home and learn something kid. At least get the stars right.”’

Disappointment blossomed in his heart and filled his chest painfully. He felt suffocated. His last hope, his last chance of saving the world was gone.

Inspirit’s not here, Myungsoo misled me. Everyone betrayed me.