Companion

Finding The Star

“Woohyun put it down, slowly -”

But Woohyun, being Woohyun, did the exact opposite. He removed the black cloth. The tattered diary reappeared.

“You keep a diary? How come I don’t know? And why does this look a thousand years old?”

“Woohyun that’s my grandfather’s diary, just give it to -”

Too late, the diary had started glowing blue.

---

“Whoa, what’s this?”

Woohyun was holding The Sacred Secrets in his hands gingerly as the blue glow came to a stop. He stared at it like he couldn’t believe his eyes. Of course anyone who didn’t know what it was would be shocked. After all, not every book you borrow from the library changes shape while glowing eerily blue.

“Give it to me Woohyun,” Sungyeol said, trying to get the book in his hand.

“Sungyeol,” Woohyun said, his eyes growing wide. “Is this the whatsimacallit book thingy you wanted to find, like your granddad?”

Sungyeol stopped trying to claw at his friend’s hand and looked at him. He was deeply touched.

Woohyun actually remembers what I told him about the Sacred Secrets…wow.

“Yeah it is.” He watched the book in Woohyun’s hand reverently. It looked majestic and powerful and mysterious, the epitome of Mystic Cosmology. “But I can’t open it.”

“Why?”

He shrugged. He had no idea why he would be chosen to possess the Sacred Secrets and yet be unable to open it. As far as he remembered, there were no tests involved. The fact that he had been handed the book meant he was worthy.

Woohyun then did something very silly and very brave at the same time. He took hold of the cover and yanked at it. To Sungyeol’s utter surprise and delight, the cover moved and revealed the first page.

The Secrets will now be unveiled.

“Woohyun, you do realize by opening the book, you have also become a part of the Secrets it will share. Which means you have to come on the mission with me.”

Woohyun looked at him to see if he was joking. But Sungyeol was completely serious. This wasn’t the time to joke around.

“B-but I didn’t read it or anything. Here you can have it.” Woohyun passed the book to Sungyeol and cleaned his hand on his pant.

“Yeah but you opened it so…you have to,” Sungyeol said while the first page lovingly. It was made out of parchment and carried the scent of sandalwood.

Honestly, Sungyeol wanted to go on his quest alone. He had thought about it many times – he would be traveling alone, it would be only him and his backpack. But after he had gotten the Sacred Secrets, when the journey became a soon-to-be reality, he had felt that it would be nice to have someone by him. And the first person whose name had come to his mind was Woohyun. So he was glad that Woohyun had opened the book, that he was now bound to travel with him. But convincing him was another thing.

He wouldn’t want to give up school and life for this, would he?

“Umm…right now? I have to pack don’t I?”

Sungyeol gaped. He hadn’t thought Woohyun would agree so readily. He had thought he’d need to persuade his friend for days, tempt him with some cool information or threaten him. But here he was saying he wanted to pack. Woohyun never did that - he didn't believe in mystic cosmology - to him, it was a world of fantasy.

“What?” Woohyun asked defensively, when Sungyeol had been staring at him for a bit too long. He looked embarrassed. “Look, I’d decided I’d go with you a long time back. I just didn’t tell you.”

“You – you want to go with me, leave everything behind?”

“Hey I don’t have a life without my best friend so I’m not leaving much behind.”

Woohyun smiled at him sheepishly and he returned the smile. His heart was doing drumrolls – he wouldn’t be alone on the quest.

And Woohyun’s just the right person!

“You don’t have to look so touched and tearful you know,” Woohyun said, massaging his neck. “It’s not a big deal, I don’t like school anyways.”

That was a lie but Sungyeol let it pass. He was too happy to care. A bit guilty of course, but much more excited.

“So when do we start? We can’t tell our parents I suppose.”

Sungyeol shook his head.

“Nope, not even Jihyun.”

Woohyun chuckled.

“Like she’ll understand what I’m saying.”

Woohyun had a point. Jihyun was only three after all.

“Tonight I’m going go through the book. And tomorrow too. We’ll meet tomorrow in the evening to discuss about how and when we leave. And I have to find out my quest – it’s somewhere within these pages.”

Woohyun nodded. Sungyeol had once explained all about the Sacred Secrets to him. He couldn’t say he remembered everything but he had the gist in his mind.

“So I guess we’re not watching the concert DVD?” he asked, while getting up from his seat.

“I’m sorry Woohyun, that has to wait.”

Woohyun nodded his head.

“Just don’t run off without me, okay?” His hand rested on Sungyeol’s shoulder momentarily before he skipped out of the door.

Again Sungyeol was glad that he would have his best friend with him on the journey.

It’s not about having fun, it’s about company. And strength.

Even though he was inspired, he believed he needed something to drive him forward. One would be the Sacred Secrets of course, but Woohyun was the kind of person who made you feel like you were not tired even when you were bone-weary.

Locking himself in his bedroom, he started to devour the Sacred Secrets. He read  every page carefully and the more he read, the more he became astounded. So many secrets, and a lot more mysteries.  Many answers and many more questions.

It was a good thing that Daeyeol had his own key to the house because when he arrived home, Sungyeol was lost in his world. His brother didn’t bother him. He didn’t even have dinner. He didn’t even sleep.

And by the time he arrived at the last page, every part of his body was exhausted. His eyes were being dragged down by sleep and he could hardly raise a finger to turn the page.

He had heard about the sacred book having physical tolls on you. But he didn’t know he would be affected so much.

It’ll probably get better with practice though.

The last page was extremely full with lots of writing and diagram and he simply couldn’t muster the energy to go on. But he also knew that the last page contained his quest, because he hadn’t come across it in any of the other pages.

Fighting against his sagging body, he started to read the words. His eyes were painful but he still forced on, taking his time to focus on the meaning of every word.

Every word filled him with a cold dread.

By the time he reached the last word, terror had frozen his heart.