Chapter 23 Electric Shock

An Apparitional Experience

 

"Great, not only do I have to deal with Nichkhun, I have to deal with Minho-hyung too."
 
"Don't worry, Kai.  We are on your side now."  Luhan assures me.  "Even Baekhyun.  Right, Baeks?"
 
"What?"  Baekhyun looks over to where Taeyeon-noona is.  She's heading over to us with my sister.  
 
"We are supporting Kai now, right?"
 
"Yeah, I guess.  I am just glad he's taken.  Now I don't have to worry about him taking my girl."  Byun Baekhyun, of course you'd say that.
 
 
We are all gathered at the bonfire and as soon as the teachers call out role and figure out everyone was accounted for the dance party began.  Sehun, Lay and I immediately get in the middle of the dance floor and girls and guys are hollering at us.  Yuri pushes Luhan to join us and I look for Baekhyun and I see him laughing at my girlfriend who is dancing as if she got electrocuted.  What the heck?  How embarrassing.  I pretend not to notice her and continue dancing, but Baekhyun's voice is now joined by Chanyeol who is also dancing in a similar fashion with Evey.  He grabs for her waist and dances directly behind her and she continues with no care in the world.  I push my way through the crowd and pull Evey away from Chanyeol's sneaky paws and start dancing in front of her.  She freezes and immediately looks down at her feet.  She moves to the side and shuffles over to Baekhyun and Chanyeol again.  There she continues to dance, or whatever you call those erratic movements she thinks is dancing.  I pull her towards me once again and this time I grab hold of her waist and sway her hips with the music.  She freezes once again and pushes me off her storming through the crowd towards the drink table.  
 
"One cranberry juice please."  She asks the bartender who smiles at her.  
 
"That's some interesting dancing."  He says.  She laughs shyly and downs her drink.  "Another one?"  She nods cutely.  She really needs to stop doing that, acting cute, maybe she always has and it's only now that I notice it more because everything she does I find myself noticing and caring so much more than before.  "Here you go, beautiful."  She laughs shyly again and this time sips her juice, which is unlike her, and of course she spills a bit of it on the floor.  
 
"Oops."  She grabs a napkin and the bartender makes like he is about to wipe the juice off her lips.  I slap his hand away and lean in for her lips.  I lap up the juice from the corner of causing Evey to freeze once again and stare at me in shock.
 
"Sorry man, I didn't know she was yours.  Would you like anything to drink?"  I ignore the bartender and continue to stare back at Evey who is still in shock with what I just did to her.  It was almost a kiss, but not really.  It's not like we haven't kissed before.  We kissed a couple times up on the balcony when we confessed our love for one another.  Why is she still staring at me?  Could it be because the music stopped and everyone is staring at us?  Ah, that's what it is.  I have gotten used to those stares, she hasn't, but she will need to soon enough.
 
"Ya, kenchana?"  I shake her a bit and she finally melts from her trance.  She touches her lips and I can see her face turning pink.  I laugh a bit at the sight of her.  I pull her close to me and wrap my arms around her.  "I forget how innocent you are sometimes.  Mianhae."  The crowd gasps.  The only voice I hear is Baekhyun and Chanyeol who are complaining about the music having to be stopped on account of the scene we've caused.
 
"Gosh darnit, Kai.  Must you do that in front of everyone.  Come on D.J.  Where's the music?!"  Baekhyun screams out in his typical Baekhyun-style voice and Chanyeol is hollering at the D.J. with his deep voice also.  The music begins, but I know that the crowd still has their eyes fixed on us.  This is the first time that I've shown any affection towards a girl, and they don't know that the girl in my arms is my girlfriend.  My very first girlfriend.  Well, now they know.
 
"Kai?"  She finally speaks.  "Everyone keeps staring."  She whispers to me.
 
"You have to get used to this."
 
"Why?  How!?"  The crowd begins to get back with the rhythm of the music but still many keep staring at us, waiting to see what unfolds between us.  
 
"Come on, let's just dance."  She stops me from pulling her towards the dance floor.
 
"If we do dance, you need to stay far away from me so you don't make non-dancers like me look bad.  But you still had to dance right next to me didn't you?"  She says with her hands on her hips.  Is she annoyed?  Cute.
 
"I can take it down a notch.  But you don't need to be dancing so close to other guys.  You are taken remember."  I grab her hands and I hear girls squeal.  She looks over to the shrieks while I maintain my eyes on her.  "You understand my concern?"  I try to pull her again but she stops me. 
 
"Let's just go somewhere away from all these curious eyes."  She suggests while whispering.
 
"You naughty girl, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist this."  I point to my face and the smirk I am giving her.  
 
"Please."  She scoffs. 
 
"What?  You think I am joking?"  
 
"Of course not.  I totally know what's in those girls' minds.  Because I had those same feelings."  She laughs at herself.  
 
"Wah.  You are revealing a lot aren't you?"  I .
 
"It's going to be difficult having you as my boyfriend."  She folds her arms and looks even more annoyed.  What is she thinking about?
 
"Not really.  I mean, I ignore those fangirls anyways.  Don't you think it will be harder for me?"
 
"What!  Why?"  
 
"I saw the way you danced, or tried to.  I am one of the best dancers in this school, and my girlfriend dances like she's having a seizure.  I also know your intelligence is just above average, you are clumsy as heck, and that Byun Baekhyun alone is going to be giving me headaches."  She scoffs at my honesty.  "Plus you have the tendency to use your imagination a bit too much, and that gets you into trouble."
 
"I do not have an imagination!"  
 
"Think about what you are about to say before you say it."  I laugh at her.  "What was all that about with Minho-hyung?  Were you imagining things going on between him and my hyung?  Did you get jealous of that?  You and your day dreaming."
 
"Okay fine, I was thinking of that.  I mean, Yuri filled me in on the 2Min videos floating around after we stalked them that day."
 
"You stalked SHINee?!"
 
"Just once, we needed to prove that Taemin-oppa was Jongin…or you…or whoever."
 
"What did you get out of that stalking incident?"
 
"Baekhyun and Luhan received a commemorative SHINee photo with their autographs and an SM representative gave them her card.  I got dizzy from Taemin's hug and honesty and I laid on his shoulder when we road the bus back to school.  AND the biggest thing of all-"
 
"Heol.  You are revealing to your now boyfriend your excitement towards another man, his brother of all people."
 
"You didn't let me finish."  She ignores my last statement.
 
"There's more?  And you are that excited about it?  Let's not forget you were stalking."
 
She ignores my remarks again.  "I was this close to Minho-oppa."  She shows me how close by placing her front directly on my right arm.  She sends shivers down my spine by the mere touch.  Again, we've kissed before, passionately, but this slight touch gave me more goosebumps then ever.  "This close, Kai!  I was so close, we were sharing the same oxygen."  
 
I burst out laughing at her description.  "Same oxygen!?"  I push her forehead away from me with my finger.  She is still lost in her daydreams.  Probably thinking about Minho-hyung.  My girlfriend is an obsessed fan girl of Choi Minho with a far too creative imagination.  "Anyways.  It is still much worse for me having a girlfriend like you than you having a boyfriend like me.  The End."
 
"I can't believe how blunt you are, even to your girlfriend."  She gives me a soft shove on my shoulder.
 
"Would you rather have me sugar coat everything?  Do you want a boyfriend who will tell you that you have a great fashion sense and can dance better than SHINee's dancing machine?"
 
"I have a unique fashion sense, and no I get that I don't dance well, I mean, I am not a terrible dancer though…"  
 
"Ha!"  I scoff.  "You looked like you got shocked by lightning."
 
"Of course not.  That dance is popular.  F(x) even sang a song about it.  Electric Shock."  She tries to persuade me.
 
"That was not how they danced though.  And you totally do not have any fashion sense, it's not unique at all, it's beyond weird."
 
"Well, excuse me for being modest.  I would rather not show my long bare legs to the entire student body."
 
"What about this body?"  I point to myself again and wink.
 
"Especially you!"  She turns to ask for another drink, this time orange soda.
 
"Are you sure you won't get hyper from the sugar that drink has?"
 
"I'll just dance it off."
 
"Let me teach you some moves."
 
"No way.  I can dance on my own."  She gets a bit quiet as she finishes her drink.  "Kai?"
 
"Hmm?"  I look over at Baekhyun and Chanyeol who seem to be having fun dancing to MBLAQ's Y.  Chanyeol kinda dances like her.  What is up with those convulsive moves?
 
"Do you think Minho-oppa and Taemin-oppa are together?"
 
"Ya!  Don't say those things."  I scratch my head, she really is obsessed.  "All of that is fan service.  Fans think they have something.  I mean, sure they are affectionate, but most SHINee members are, even MBLAQ hyungs are supposedly affectionate.  Don't think anything more, araso?"
 
"It's kind of nice that they have each other, at least until I get Minho-oppa, muahaha."  She jokingly says.  
 
"Don't even joke about that.  It took me a long time to get you, I don't need any more obstacles."  I pull her back towards my chest and lay my chin on her shoulder.  "Evey-ah, listen to me.  You and I, together, this isn't going to be easy.  I am not worried about your crush on Minho-hyung.  That's a give-in.  I can allow you to worship your favorite idol from afar.  I am no longer worried about you and my hyung either because, well, you confidently chose me over him, didn't you?"  She nods and leans more into my arms.  "I am worried of two things though, your arranged marriage and -"
 
"Kai!!  You have got to be kidding me!?  I heard it from Jaekyung, and I thought maybe time away from me would eventually get you to want me more.  But instead, you-  HER!  Kai!  I am SO angry!"
 
"Hyosung?"  She asks watching her temper tantrum unfold.
 
"Not just Hyosung…"  Baekhyun and Chanyeol are angry once again because the music stopped due to her commotion.  
 
"Ah?  I gotcha.  You think it would be best if we just run?"  Ev suggests.
 
"Let's go.  Quickly, before she flips tables."  We smile at each other and grab hold of each other's hand tightly.  And we run.  We finally stop at the pier and walk towards the shop where I saw that drawing of hers.  
 
"How long do you think she'll go on?  I mean, you're mine now."  She catches herself.  Her possessive words surprise her, and me.  
 
"I like it."  I take her hand and hold on to it this time. as we walk along the pier.
 
"Huh?"
 
"I like that you are possessive of me.  Because I fully intend to be like that with you too."
 
"Focus, Kai.  What am I supposed to do with that girl?"
 
"No worries, let's just avoid her during the next four days in Jeju.  Oh look, the castle is still up."  I run to the sand castle Sehun and the others made with me.  "Look at the water and the sky behind it.  It's beautiful!  Let's take a photo."
 
"I didn't think you'd be so, girly."
 
"Taking photos is not girly.  Get over here."  She extends her arms and I take the phone from her.  "Your arms are too short.  Let me do it.  Ready?"  She leans in and my heart begins to beat faster.  I will never get used to this feeling.  And I absolutely love it.
 
"Oh, you're good at taking photos."
 
"Make that your background."  I go to settings and realize that my sleeping face is still her background.  "You haven't changed it?"  I smile at her and she snatches the phone from me.  
 
"I just forgot to."
 
"Okay, sure you did."  I watch her as she changes her phone background to the two of us.  The flash worked really well and I can clearly see our smiling faces and beautiful sky in the background.  "Mianhae, Evey-ah."
 
"Eh?  Why?"
 
"For making you cry.  For making you wait.  For not making it easy on you."
 
"Geumanhae.  I don't regret any of my moments with you."
 
"I shouldn't have ignored you, teased you, be cold towards you..."
 
"Stop that."  She places her hands on my chest and leans into me so close we are, sharing the same oxygen.  "When I first saw you, you were dancing.  It was the first day of school for us.  Luhan was scared of your dark and mysterious aura.  Baekhyun was annoyed because the ladies were screaming your name and fainting.  Yuri was completely mesmerized by the way you danced."
 
"And you?  What was your first impression of me?"
 
"I saw you many times that day.  The first time seeing you, I too was in a trance, I couldn't believe how in control of your body you were on that stage."  She giggles.  "I thought you were a god."
 
"And the second time?"
 
"It was in the art closet.  I thought you were a ghost."
 
"Ah!  That's right.  You like, fell over a bunch of times because of those sports balls on the floor that you spilled.  See, I told you were clumsy."
 
"Anyways.  The second time we met…"
 
"Ah, continue."
 
"You were like a ghost appearing here and there.  That time in the closet, Taeyeon called out your name and I thought she was talking to me, ha ha.  It was dark and I thought there were ghosts in the closet.  And then after many encounters with you, I always felt this shiver down my spine."
 
"I'd rather not be a god nor a ghost."  Deja vu hits me just then.  "I just want to belong to you."
 
"What did you say?"
 
"You weren't listening?  Were you fantasizing about Minho-hyung again?"
 
"What did you say, about not being a god or a ghost?"
 
"Just that, I want to belong to you, rather than being unreachable."  She is staring at me as if contemplating something.  "What's wrong?  What?"
 
"The day after Taemin-oppa left me and I couldn't get a hold of him, I was in the art studio crying over-"
 
"Hyung?" 
 
"Ani.  You."
 
"Me?  How come?"
 
"It was always you, Kai."  She laughs it off.  
 
"Daebak.  I knew you couldn't resist me."  
 
She gives me a hug and looks up at me.  "That's why I want to show you off but I am afraid those girls like Hyosung will just attack me."
 
"Stop that they will only attack when you are alone."  I . 
 
"No way?"  
 
"Let's walk along the beach."
 
She stops me from leading her closer to the water.  "Kai, may I call you Jonginnie?"
 
"If you'd like.  But it would be better if you'd call me oppa."  I wonder what it would sound like when the girl I like calls me oppa.
 
"Nah.  I'll just call you Jonginnie.  Try to catch me, Jonginnie!"  She runs past the sand castle and towards the water.  She laughs and screams as the waves push against the sand and the water come close to touching her feet.  "Oh, it's cold!"
 
"Ya!  Call me OPPA!"  
 
"Andwe!"
 
"Say it!"
 
"Shiro!"  She keeps running away from me and being stubborn about calling me oppa.  I follow her of course.  Wherever she goes, I am right behind her.  She is my girlfriend, after all.