That Man

Real Or Not?

“Ssshhh… Don’t cry.” Said a deep husky voice.

 

I didn’t stop crying. And it wasn’t a hallucination. But now that I began to think it over, I guess I wasn’t that insane. Who? It was dark in the room but I could feel someone WAS actually embracing me. I could feel the breath on my ear. I could feel its warmth. I slowly turned around. I popped out my eyes wide. “Who? W-who are you?” I was surprised to see a figure in the dark was holding me.

 

 

But I wasn’t scared.

 

So I guess you can see me.” I could hear him chuckle lightly. Slowly he let me go as I seated on the bed, staring blankly at him. “Hello?” He waved his hand in front of my face.

 

Who the heck slipped into my house, moreover my room at this hour? I nearly stopped breathing. But I came back to my senses. Hurriedly I got off bed to switch on the light. I was amazed. A tall guy was standing near my bed. He was wearing all white, which seemed to be hospital pajamas. He had such sharp eyes and I couldn’t stop staring at them. He had a beautiful nose and a pair of thin lips I almost thought Michael Angelo created this man. His short light hair was kind of messy but didn’t make him look bad at all. “Who… are you? A ghost?”

 

He chuckled again before answering my question. “I don’t know what I am, but I hope I’m not a ghost.” He smiled, more like a smirk though.

 

I wished I understood what he was talking about. “What do you mean?” I tilted my head, trying to read his expression. Before he could answer, I heard my brother stepped out of my mom’s room and my instinct made me grabbed the man and pushed him to my bed, covering him with thick blanket as I seated on the bed.

 

“Noona, you don’t want to eat?” Jaebeom knocked my door.

 

“No,” was my only answer before I heard he walked away, back into his room silently. “Tch…” I hissed. I didn’t know why I had to hide him when the door was locked like this. “Sorry.” I got up and opened the blanket for him, letting him out. With him on my bed, I took a sit on the chair. “So… Wait.” I just realized something. Ever since his first sentence, he had been speaking English. I used to work in a company that required me to speak English for couple years, not to mention I dated two foreigner guys a year ago that I naturally responded him in English and I didn’t notice that until now, maybe I was too surprised by this uninvited guest. “You are not Korean?” This made me curious even more.

 

The man shrugged. “I was told that I’m Japanese-Korean but, I’m an American,” he explained. “Well but you can say I’m Korean since I was born here.”

 

Was it weird that I was more interested of what happened to him rather than questioning how he got into my room? I blinked my eyes, trying to absorb his words into my brain. “How? Did you leave Korea?” Oh God, I swore my English could’ve been better but I was probably too nervous.

 

There, I could see his sad eyes staring blankly at the night lamp. “I was adopted. Apparently my biological parents gave me away to the orphanage.” There was a long silence. He kept looking at the pink night lamp while I looked at him. “But…” He took a glance at me. “Why were you crying?”

 

I…” I was startled. When was the last time someone asked me why I cried, why I was so sad? I couldn’t remember. I lost my senses, especially when that someone was asking me while staring with his oh so tender eyes. “I… hate to be alone.”

 

But you’re not alone.” Again, he smiled to me.

 

I sighed. “I know I’m not alone in this house, I have my mom and brother. But really they-“

 

I mean, you have me here now.” He cut me off. He moved closer to where I was sitting.

 

You would think I was crazy, but I couldn’t deny it. I liked his tone, I liked his words, I liked the way he said it. There was something about him. “What are you?” I finally asked.

 

He chuckled. “I am… I don’t know.” He turned serious.

 

What?” I furrowed my eyebrows. “Seriously, if I was another girl, I would’ve screamed and reported you to the police for invading my house and bedroom and moreover, my privacy.” I was amazed I could form all those into a sentence when I was still mesmerized by him.

 

Then why you didn’t?”

 

I heaved another sigh, “Because I’m too lonely and pathetic I don’t even care if you’re a wanted criminal or psychopath, I guess I need someone to be here with me.” I hugged my knees while sitting.

 

He laughed loud, so loudly I had to cover his mouth and accidentally touched his soft lips. “Oh.. sorry.” I removed my hand. “I just don’t want my family to hear you. You were so loud.” I could feel I was blushing.

 

Don’t worry I don’t think they would hear me.”

 

That’s because I covered your mouth or else…”

 

He shook his head. “No, you don’t get what I’m saying.” He took a breath before he continued. “I mean, I think you’re the only person who can see me so far.” Okay, I didn’t understand what he was talking about at that part and he could see I was confused. “Well, I will let you know about it slowly later.” He smiled.

 

Are you gonna leave?” I frowned, looking at him.

 

He smiled again. “No I like being seen like this. It’s been a long time since I talk to someone. I might stay longer this time.” Again, I didn’t know what he was talking about. He was such a big puzzle I needed to solve.

 

Will you come again tomorrow after I go home from work?” I asked, demanded.

 

He laughed, softly this time. “I won’t go anywhere. Or, do you want me to accompany you to sleep?”

 

I blinked my eyes awkwardly, embarrassed. He looked kind and warm but his eyes definitely looked seductive just now, or I could be just imagining things. “No no no. That’s not what I mean.” I couldn’t look straight at his eyes anymore.

 

But he patted my head. “You’re so funny .”

 

I wanted to protest but no words came out from my mouth. I got on the bed silently instead, pulling the blanket up to my neck. “You’re still here?”

 

I will leave once you fall asleep.” It would be sound so creepy if it was some other guy who said that. I didn’t even know what I was thinking, letting a random man enter my room and stay there until I fell asleep. I must be crazy. There were so many things in my mind, but somehow this random guy made me forget them. I used to think about my pitiful life and cried every night before bed, but that night I didn’t cry. I didn’t want to let him see my sleeping face though, so I rolled to the right, facing the wall where he could not see me. While drifting into sleep, there was a big question in my head: how did he get inside my locked bedroom?

 


 

Thank you for reading and your supports. I will update again hopefully soon ^^ I hope you like this first chapter~