The String

The Red String

LU-HAN! LU-HAN! LU-HAN!”, the stadium echoed.

“This next song is for you, my beautiful fans and my hometown!” I yelled into my headset.

WOOO! YEAH! the crowd replied. Then the piano began playing.

Baby don’t cry, tonight
After the darkness has lifted
Baby don’t cry, tonight
It’ll be like nothing ever happened
You will never become a bubble,
In the end you don’t have to know
So baby don’t cry, cry
For my love will protect you.

I proceeded to dance, but a wave of dizziness struck my body. My vision began to blur as I struggled to stand on my feet. Oh no, the next verse is coming. I opened my mouth but no note came out. My right foot slipped under me. I placed a hand on the black floor, so at least I could kneel. The faces of the crowd began to worry. No, don’t worry im fine, see- My hips finally gave in, making my body crash onto the stage. Staff members rushed onto the stage and carried me off behind the curtains. Flashes of stage lights faded into black. Im sorry, I’ve disappointed all of you.

~     ~     ~

» Last night, CAT Entertainment’s new solo artist with a trademark baby face, Luhan, fainted during his World Tour Concert in Beijing. Fans were forced to leave the 2-hour concert, 45 minutes earlier. Teenage girls cried as they exited the stadium doors, hoping their idol is in well health and dissatisfied that the concert ended prematurely. Doctors claim that the stress of all the concerts this teen heartthrob has been hosting recently has drained out the energy from his body. He is now resting at the Beijing Hospital Center, hopefully gaining all the rest he earned for these past 7 months since his debut. «

I shut off the TV and threw the remote on the bed stand on my right. Machines beeped and flickered to the beat of my pulse beside me. All those fans with gloomy faces crawled back into my eyes. Im really sorry, I know it’s my fault. The sour feeling made my body turn to its side in the bed. My eyes stared into the blank wall as daylight flowed into the room. Suddenly, the door flew open and footsteps closed in on me.

“Luhan…” It’s Kris, my manager. I remained silent. “Luhan, it’s fine. You were just overworking your body. Don’t be so hard on yourself, the fans still love you. Can’t you hear them screaming outside?”

As if on cue, the roaring of high pitched screams seeped through the window and filled the empty room.

LUHAN~! GET BETTER SOON OK~? WE LOVE YOU~!

A smile crept onto my lips. You guys are the best.

A pile of clothes playfully flopped onto my head.  “Now stop being such a brat. Hurry up and get dressed, you’re being discharged. We’re leaving in 7 minutes. Xiumin is already waiting in the van.” Kris ordered.

“Hey!” I replied as I threw the clothes off, ready to glare at him. Kris was already closing door with a smirk under his nose. Jerk.

As I ripped off the sheets and stood to get dressed, a flash of red caught my eye. I flared out my left hand. A bright red string was tied to my pinky finger. It stretched out across the room and under the door. Who put this here? Was it Kris? I bet he’s playing one of his stupid tricks again. Annoyed, I grabbed one end of the string and pulled to undo the bow. But it was stuck. I pulled again. It wouldn’t budge. UGH. I furiously put on my clothes and walked out the door. I saw Kris waiting down the hall, by the elevators. The string led to his location. My footsteps echoed throughout the corridor as I approached him with murderous eyes.

“You know, I’m getting really tired of your little pranks. What’s this all about?” I asked. I held up my left hand, showing him the string.

“What’s what all about?” He retorted. His eyebrows scrunched up as he glanced at my hand.

“This string. I can’t get it off. Do you have my pocket knife? I let you borrow it right?”

“Here’s the pocket knife, but I don’t see any string.” He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a swiss army pocket knife.

“Don’t play dumb with me. I’m talking about this red string on my pinky.” I grabbed the knife from his palm and searched for the scissor.

“I honestly do not know what you’re talking about. Come on, we gotta go. The van is waiting for us.” He said as his long slender finger pressed the elevator button.

My hands fumbled with the pocket knife until I finally pulled out the scissor. I brought it closer to the string and began cutting it. Snip. Still there. Snip snip. And it’s still there.

“Luhan, get on.” Kris ordered. I looked up to see that he was already in the elevator. I hopped on beside him before the doors closed.

“What did you do to make my knife so blunt?” I asked him, still hacking away the string with the scissors.

“I just used it to cut open some boxes when I moved into my new place.”

“Never mind then, it’s useless. Here, you can keep it.” I folded the scissors and passed the knife back to Kris.

“Thanks.” He responded.

The elevator bounced and whirred down from the fifth floor to the lobby. I stared at the metallic elevator doors, waiting for them to open. Wait, something’s missing. Although it was blurry, the doors reflected like a mirror. It even reflected blotches of color. Where’s the red string? I glimpsed at Kris. Blue dress shirt, black pants, black shoes, blonde hair. Nope. I analyzed myself. White shirt, dark blue jeans, brown shoes, green jacket, blonde hair, red string. But the reflection of the red string did not show on the doors. Weird.

The elevator clanked and the reflective doors rolled open. A pair of huge men in black shirts and jeans surrounded Kris and me as we exited into the lobby and out the automatic doors of the hospital. Bodyguards.

“Kris, what do we need these guys for? I bet you’re more than enough for the job. The fans can just bounce off you with your height.” I asked.

“And who is the irresponsible child that made his fans freak out after passing out during a concert?” He retorted.

“Hmph. Just don’t hurt anyone okay?” I instructed to the bodyguards.

“We’ll be cautious, sir. You can just focus on getting into the van.” One responded.

In the next second, the ocean of fans flooded and began to drawn all four of us. The bodyguards covered our sides and behind while Kris led me towards the black van that Xiumin pulled up in front of the hospital’s doors. Shrieks painfully pierced my ears. Gift bags with feathery decorations and boxes with curving ribbons were forcefully shoved into my hands. I tried to accept as many as I could until my hands reached its full capacity. When some fans saw my hands packed, they pleaded Kris and the bodyguards to receive their gifts and pass them to me. Aw how cute, my persistent fans. I was picked up off my feet as the van fell into my view over Kris’ shoulder, which was also overflowing with gifts. Stop being so kind, you jerk.

“Quickly, get in!” Xiumin yelled in the van as the doors of the van slid open. Kris scrambled into the van and dumped the presents into the back seat.

“Come on, Luhan. We’ve got to go or the crowd will get worse.” Kris commanded. The bodyguards behind me urged to go inside as the fans began pushing them towards the van.

As my foot thudded onto the van, I felt one fan shove a plush doll under my arm so I could hold it. My body jolted and my arms flailed out as an unusual shout escaped from my throat. I abruptly dropped all the presents I was holding onto the ground in front of the van, including the doll under my arm. Heat rushed up to my cheeks. I attempted to cover my red face with my left hand. My ticklish spot. I thought most of them would know I’m very sensitive by now. That was very rude of me, I should throw the presents in the van. I bent down and stretched out my right hand to pick them up.

“What are you doing? Forget the presents, we need to go. RIGHT NOW!” Kris yelled.

“But the presents –“

The red string unexpectedly tightened around my finger. Oh, I forgot about this little thing. It began to press into my skin, making a crease on where it constricted around my pinky. Isn’t this a bit too tight? The long end of the string straightened and yanked my finger. It immediately ripped my hand from my face and hauled me through the crowd of fans and down towards the corner of the street. My feet tripped and skid across the pavement due to this rapid force coming from the red string.

“WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GOING, LUHAN?!” Kris roared. I am so screwed when he gets a hold of me.

When I reached the corner, the string pulled me to the left and across the busy road of cars. NO WAIT! IT’S A GREEN LIGHT! IM GONNA DIE! I glued my eyes shut as I felt the string dragging me. My body shook with every honk and yell. I am dead. I am absolutely dead. But I wasn’t. I peeked down to expect a dark grey tar road on my face. But my feet were still running. And the red string around my pinky was still pulling my left hand ahead of me. WHAT?! HOW?! Glancing back, a few angry drivers glared at me and a blur of fans screamed across the road as I dashed down the street.

I swiveled my neck around the street to see where I am. I took note of the shops and the street names. Where am I going? The string towed me down the street. I noticed sets of college students starting to appear on the street as I pushed through them. Oh, now i remember. Isn’t this going towards SM University? Just then, the red string answered my question. All of a sudden, it quit tugging my left pinky. The string dropped down onto the ground once again. Where do you lead to? Slowly, I trailed the red string lying on the pavement. My feet followed it towards the gates of SM University at only a few yards away. The string led my eyes up to a group of chatting students leaving the campus who all seemed to be friends. They noticed my presence and turned towards me as I stared at their hands.  Where’s does the string end? The students analyzed my face.

Isn’t that CAT Entertainment’s new artist, Luhan? I thought he was sick. What is he doing? He seems weird. Is he looking for something? They softly conversed.

“Excuse me, if you’re looking for someone, maybe I can be of help.” A gentle voice called out to me within the group.

My eyes tracked to the face where the voice came from. The group parted to let a member through. A male student with plump pink lips, sharp eyes, and softly defined facial structures emerged. Our eyes met and he smiled. Dimples on the corner of his cheek revealed themselves. How cute. My chest gave a painfully sweet thump. Wait….cute…? Did I just think that this guy was cute? Well, people say I’m cute too. But then a thump –

My eyes trailed down his figure while I was lost in my strange thoughts. He wore a tan backpack, a pair of white headphones around his neck, a green shirt, black jeans, a red string on his left pinky, and grey sneakers. HOLD UP. A RED STRING ON HIS LEFT PINKY?! I held out my left hand and traced down the red string directly to his left pinky. Without thinking, I grabbed his left hand with both of my hands.

“THIS—AROUND YOUR FINGER—DO YOU—HOW—”

“Ah, perhaps you were looking for me? Hello, my name is Yixing. It’s a pleasure to meet you. You are the famous Luhan, am I correct?”

My eyes and my mouth widened along with my eyebrows curving upwards with confusion as this ordinary male college student happily smiled at me and shook my hands as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys~!  

So ummmm how do i do this idk  

LEAVE A COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE AND BECOME A PART OF MY COLLECTION OF WONDERFUL LOVELIES  

But um yeah, since this is my first fanfic, it'll really help if you give me helpful comments so i know what i can improve on in the next chapters 

And subscribing would make my day so much better 

Dont worry, i wont disappoint you with this story 

I might give a lot of effort into each chapter, so i most likely wont be updating at a pace you would like me to 

But i assure you, the wait will be worth it