Chapter

Friends like Oxygen

One, two, three, four...

One, two, three, four...

One, two, silence, silence...

 

Soft, Taemin, soft. Keep the timing in your head!

 

One, two, three, four...

One, two, three, four...

 

Hmm, I think an arpeggio would be good here...

Taemin thought, grabbing his pencil and drawing a little zig-zag type of symbol on his piano sheets.

 

There. Let's see...

 

One, two, three, four...

One, two, three, four...

Arpeggio~~~

Hold it, Tae. Good, that's good.

 

 

It was like any other day of piano practice... Except Taemin kept glancing at the door whenever he heard a sound.

He isn't coming today, is he?... Of course he isn't, I told him not to... I wonder what instrument does he play... Guitar, maybe? He looks like that type... Or maybe he's a singer. He has a very melodic voice...

Taemin, stop.

Don't do this. Focus.

 

The boy shook his head, clearing his thoughts. He played the song he was practicing two times before adding more changes to it. Then he heard the door opening, and his face almost lit up a bit... But it wasn't him.

"Aish, you're here again!" an older guy said, entering with a friend. "Go away, you're always here!"

"I got here first" Taemin frowned. "Whatever, just go! We have more right to practice than you do!" the other guy said. "What are you talking about? I have the same rights than anyone--"

"Of course not! Because we DO pay to be here! Stupid scholarship boy..."

"Yeah, don't you have some to kiss? Maybe the principal's?"

 

Taemin stayed silent.

 

"What are you waiting for? Move!" One of them said, kicking Tae's seat. "Aren't you supposed to be smart, Wikipedia? Get. Out"

Taemin started feeling afraid, and decided it wasn't worth fighting back. Looking down, he gathered his stuff quickly and ran to the door. The last thing he heard before stepping out was "And what the did you do to your hair, Wiki?"

"I know, right? So gay..."

 

Ok. That last part did hurt.

Taemin walked slowly down the hallway. The only think he could do was go home. His classes were actually over like two hours sooner, but he likes practicing at the piano room... And he needs to. He doesn't have a piano at home.

Since he had time to waste, Taemin started walking home, instead of taking the bus.

*sigh* I remember when I first came to the academy. I thought it would be great. I thought I was going to be free, being surrounded by other musicians like me! Open-minded, artistic... But it is the same as high school... There're bullies, there're spoiled girls, there're nerds, and there's me... the freak...

I'm good like this, anyways. All people do is pretend to care and squezze you till you have nothing else to give.

I don't need that.

I don't need them.

 

Thinking about that always makes Taemin angry. He can't help it. It burns.

Maybe it's bad luck. He doesn't think ALL people are bad... Only the ones that want to get close to him.

Since he can remember, girls would try to be friendly with him, and then ask him to help them with some homework or project. And when Taemin accepted, he wouldn't hear from them till there was another project...

With boys... well it was kinda the same, except Taemin would be a little too pleasing, if the boy was attractive. He always wondered if they could sense he was 'into boys', cause they seemed to be so charming when they asked him something... Or maybe it was all in his head.

People would surround him and go 'Hey! I heard you're like freaking smart, is that true?' 'Can you memorize a whole book??' 'Quick, what's 265 x 873?' 'Have you always been like this?'

Taemin always wanted to hear someone say things like 'and what do you after school?' 'what music do you like?' or just 'I think you're interesting'...

There was this bunch of guys that he liked, and thought they liked him back... But he had to stop seeing them, thanks to stupid Lee Joon. What a jerk.

 

Agh, Taemin! Don't think about him...

 

"Minnie! Is that you?~" His mom called cutely. Taemin took off his shoes and left them by the door. He saw his mom's head popping out of the kitchen. "I made meatballs~" Taemin tried to chuckle "No outfit today?" he asked, walking to the stairs to change his clothes. "What? Don't you see?" She pointed at a tiny crown on his head "I'm a queen! Which makes you a prince~ Or princess, whatever you want~" She winked and turned to check on the food. He sighed 'ummaaa...' and headed to his room.

 

Taemin's mom is... well... 'special'. Her dream was to become an actress. Since she was little. She took ballet lessons, singing lessons, and acting lessons, of course.

But...

She got married very young, and when she became pregnant with Taemin's older brother she decided to stay home and take care of him. Watch him grow up. Is not like she was giving up her dream. She just changed it. Her mother instincts were always very strong, and she was happy like this. When baby Taemin came, her joy reached it's highest levels.

When Taemin comes home, she usually has a whole character going on. With costume and everything... She's just a lovely woman.

 

Taemin put a short and a t-shirt on, and went downstairs to eat. "Oh my little prince, come take a seat!" His mom said, calling him. "Taesun! Get up!" She said, looking at his other son, laying on the couch. "Didn't you say you were hungry?" The older boy immediately got up and took a seat in front of Taemin.

The lady sat at the head of the table, with her two sons by her sides.

"Uh, mom?..." Taesun asked.

"What, my prince~?"

"...the food?"

"Oh, it is ready, I'm just waiting. Have you ever seen a queen serve her own food?"

Taesun banged his head on the table. "I'll do it" the younger said. Taemin served the food for them and they ate, talking a little.

"So~ My new mission is to get a good princess to marry my son!" The queen said, placing a hand on Taesun's shoulder. He choked on his food "W-what?!"

"And a charming prince for my youngest son!" She added, petting Taemin's hair. "Mom, I don't want a prince..."

"Hundreds and hundreds of young men will come to this palace to win your heart!"

"mom..."

"But it won't be that easy! It can't be any guy. He needs to be a gentleman. You know, A man that opens the door for you, that walks on the out side of the sidewalk, and sends flowers to the queen~"

"Good luck finding him" Taemin mumbled, taking a bite of his food.

"...I'm glad I'm not gay" Taesun said, staring at his food. Taemin and his mom kept silent... the older boy noticed and looked up. "O-Oh, I mean, because I know it's hard to find a nice girl, I can't even imagine how hard it must be to find a good guy"

"Oh. So sweet. You understand" Taemin said, smiling lightly. "And it must be harder when you're not even trying..." His brother added. "Hyung!"

"Taemin! C'mon, girls breakup with me all the time. What do I do?"

"Go get drunk?" Taemin guessed. "WHAT?!" his mom snapped, shocked. "NO! No, of course not mom!" the older boy said quickly. "I go out and meet other girls. You should go out, Tae"

"I don't need to..."

"Yeah, but it would be good, you know? How long has been? Like a year, a year and a half? How long are you--"

"Hyung, I don't need a boyfriend, ok?? I can't believe it" Taemin glared at him, stood and went to his room. Not without slamming the door hard, like every teenager.

 

******************************************************************

 

*A week later*

"So, out of these three photos, which girl do you find attractive?" The doctor asked Onew, setting the three pics down on the table.

Onew didn't put any thought into it, he just randomly picked one. "This one, a little" The doctor's face lit up "Really? Is there anything you would change about her to make her a lot more attractive, to you?"

"hmm... Maybe draw a moustache on her--"

"Ah, Jinki!!" The doctor rolled his eyes. "I thought we were progressing!"

"We are! That one has a bikini and I didn't threw up!" Onew said, pointing at other picture, making fun of his doctor's threatment. "Jinki, don't you understand? If you don't work with me here, you'll be on therapy forever"

"Not true. I can just stop coming"

"Don't you wanna have a family someday? Your own kids?"

"I don't know. I'll now that when I meet the right person"

"That's great, that's perfect! And you know that too have children, you need to marry A GIRL?"

"Again, not true. There's many ways to have children, and you know it."

"You're impossible"

"Way to go, doctor" Onew gave him thumbs up, he stood and walked to the door. "It's not me Jinki, It's you. You just can't be cured if you DON'T WANNA be cured" Onew opened the door, and turned to look at his doctor, half smiling.

"You finally get it"

 

 

*******************************************************

 

After his visit to the doctor, Onew decided to take a walk. He walk around a park he found.

...he really really didn't mean to, or maybe, subconsciously? He happened by right across certain musical building.

...Maybe he didn't mean it. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

 

Onew said to himself, trying to find an excuse that would make it okay to go and see Taemin again.

The front doors opened. Onew saw the boy with the carmine hair coming out of the academy. They young boy put on his earphones, while crossing the street. He walked to Onew's opposite direction, heading to the bus stop. "T-Taemin!" Onew called, but a loud rhythm was covering the boy's ears. "Tae!" The older tried one more time. Taemin kept walking. Onew ran to him and playfully grabbed Tae's shoulders.

...what he was not expecting, was Taemin to turn around fast and knee him hard on the crotch.

The older groaned and fell to the ground covering his hurt groin (A/N: We know that's massive pain to Onew lol). Taemin then recognized the man.

 

"My God, Onew??" He took off his earphones and put them back on his pocket. "Oh, God. Oh, God. I'm so sorry!" Tae apologized, kneeling down next to him. He moved his hands on the air, over Onew's body, not knowing what to do. "It hurts!!" Onew cried out. "W-Well, it's your fault! I thought you were a kidnapper on something!!"

"In the middle of the day?! At the public park on rush hour?!" Onew cried out again, then took a deep breath to keep his whines in. "Man, you're strong!"

"I'm not, I was scared! And it's not my fault!! You're an idiot!" Onew groaned again and sobbed like a puppy. "W-What do I do??" Taemin asked worried. "Help meee" Onew whined. "Hell, I'm not touching that!" The boy said, pointing at the man's sore crotch (A/N: Present-Taemin would even kiss it lol). "N-No! Just help me get up!"

Taemin took the man's arm and put it around his neck. "Ok, slow" He said. Onew got up, complaining all the way "Ouh Ouh Ouh Ouh Ouh..."

Taemin took him to a bench inside the park. He sat next to Onew waiting for him to recover. Onew had his head thrown back, with his eyes closed. "Ouh, now I'm really not having children"

"Oh, C'mon, I didn't hit you that hard" Taemin replied, crossing his arms. "How was I supposed to know it was you? I thought I told you--"

"Yes, yes. I know. I wanted to say something too" Onew said, without moving or opening his eyes. "hm? ...what?" Taemin said, and his voice got a lot less aggressive. "...I don't know" Onew said and sighed. The younger scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Oh, well, I guess you're gonna be okay. I have to go" he said, but Onew opened his eyes and put his palm in front of him, keeping him from standing up. "Nononono, wait... I do know"

"Oookaaay..." Taemin said, trying not to get angry again. "Well... Don't think I'm creepy. But since you said I couldn't see you anymore, I kinda, couldn't stop thinking about coming anyways"

"..why's that?"

"...first of all, I'd like to say you were SO very rude"

"What? No, I wasn't!!"

"Yes, you were. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm mad at you or something"

"Then what?"

"I really don't want to stop seeing you" He said, nodding, very sure of himself "The people around me are really uptight, fake and boring. And they never want to know me, they want something and I hate it..." Onew said, reffering to his family position and his money, but not saying it outloud. He never goes around 'Hey, I'm Onew, I'm ridiculously rich!'. Taemin looked at him, his pretty eyes sparkled a little. "r-...really?"

"Yeah..." Onew sighed, but them smiled lightly looking at Taemin. "I'm sure I'm never gonna find someone with at least a little bit of creativity, or rose hair, there" He said, looking at the boy's hair. "Rose?" Taemin asked, touching his hair. "Yeah, that's what it reminds me of" the older explained, chuckling a little.

Unaware of the impact that it was going to cause on their lifes, Onew pronounced the words that described his feeling the most.

 

 

"I think you're very interesting..."

 

 

Taemin stared at him, surprised "A-Are you serious?". Onew chuckled again "Yes, who wouldn't?"

The red-haired boy didn't know what to say. "Ah...u-um... I'm sorry I hit you"

"Oh, it's okay. I'm better now, heh" Onew smiled at the boy, noticing how he didn't seemed to be mad at everything at the moment. "So... Is it okay?"

"...huh?" Taemin said, confused. "Can we see eachother?" Onew said. "Oh... I... I guess I-It's okay." Tae shyly said. The older smiled, happy.

Taemin wouldn't react, he was trapped in his mind, thinking about all the consecuences of what he just agreed to.

"Hey, do you like music?" Onew asked, giggling. Taemin didn't laugh, he look at him, still very shy and not sure if Onew was making fun of him or not. "I-I'm kidding.." He explained awkwardly.

"O-Oh... You know what, I don't wanna leave you, but I have to go Onew. I just saw my bus leaving... I'll just walk home"

"Oh! I'm sorry! It was my fault" Onew felt guilty. "No, no, It's okay, this was n-nice...hmm. Bye, Onew" Taemin said and stood up. "Oh! Can I walk you home?" Onew said, still feeling guilty. "...Can you even walk?" Taemin giggled cocking his eyebrow.

He looked attractive.

Onew smiled widely. "hmm, I don't think I can run, but walk, sure!"

"Okay" Taemin smiled, signing him to follow him.

 

 

It was still something he's not used to. Being friendly. But you just know, you know? When you're with someone that... fits you.

Also, there's not such thing as a good liar. And Taemin could tell. He was still nervous, but he didn't sensed anything bad about the way Onew talked to him. No mocking or sarcasm.

 

 

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" Onew asked little Tae. "Y-Yes, I do have an older brother"

"Oh, that's nice. I don't. I always wanted a brother. But I still have my dongsaengs to take care of, I wasn't all alone I guess" he said, thinking of Minho and Jonghyun. "O-Oh.." was the only thing Taemin said. The older wanted to get him to feel comfortable.

 

But I understand, you know? I know isn't something that happens in 15 minutes...

 

"W-Well, this is my street. I think we should split here.. Um. Thank you, Onew. And I'm still so so sorry... I kneed your crotch"

"It doesn't hurt anymore, don't worry" Onew laugh. Taemin nodded and started walking. "Take care, Taemin... Oh!!" The younger turned his head, then his whole body to face Onew "yes?..."

"H-Hey... Can I have your phone number" He asked shyly.

"...N-No" Taemin said, smiling nervously and taking a step back.

"Oh! I-I just thought maybe we could, like, text eachother, and it would be fun"

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Taemin, it's fine, really" Onew just waved cutely. "I'll come see you later this week, is that ok?" Taemin just smiled lightly and turned to walk away.

Onew saw him fade away and started making his way back.

 

God, last week he was this fierce boy ready to kill me, and now... he's like a scared deer... What did I do?

Did I break him?

 

 

*******************************************************************************************

 

Taeminnieah!

): I feel like this was a chapter that had a lot of potential but I killed it. So I'm not even gonna post my personal stuff to make it a little better lol I don't even think it is longer than the last one! Or is it? I hope it is lol

Quick note, I picture Tae with a darker red tone of hair than on the japanese replay era, just for you to know lol

We all know where OnTae's going, but, do you like HOW is it going there? Let me know! Let me know aything you want!

(Do you think Tae's mom's character was unnecessary? My friend told me it was D: )

I'll leave you an OnTae looong video to make it up to you xD

 

 

 

 

 

 

COMMENT!