Chapter

Friends like Oxygen

A/N: There’s a section of this chapter where there’s a code, ok? It was colored, but when I pasted here on AFF, it was all black xD

*** is Onew and his mother.

/// is Taemin and his mother.

(The colors were better D: but AFF tools dosen't wanna work D:) Sorry for that!

You’ll see it!!

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

Taemin walked down the street, feeling shy, thinking maybe Onew was still watching him, waiting for him to be enter his house.

He wanted to, but he resisted looking back.

He took his key out and entered his house. Taemin closed the door behind him and rested his back against him.

He just stayed there, lost.

 

It wasn't till nearly 10 minutes later, that his mom came inside from the yard, with a watering can on her hand and a hat, that she noticed Taemin was home. "Honey! What are you doing there?" She said, surprised but smiling, taking her hat off. Her smile dropped when she saw the look on her son's face. "Taeminnie? What's wrong?" She approached him, immediately feeling his cheeks and forehead to check if he was sick. "hm, you feel normal, Are you okay?"

 

"I... What?"

"Are. You. Okay?"

"I'm okay, mom"

"hmmm...well, are you hungry?"

"No, I'm okay. I'll be in my room, ok?"

"But sweety, you have to eat something!"

"Don't worry, I'll eat later, ok?" Taemin said. Judging by his tone, she though maybe he wanted to take a nap. "Ok. If you need anything just tell me, I'll be outside" She said, shaking the watering can in front of him.

 

~~~~

 

 

Half hour later, she was done with her little garden and decided to serve Taemin his food and bring it up to his room.

She knocked on his door three times. "Taemin~?"

No response. She knocked again and then opened the door. "Tae?"

Taemin was working on his desk. A lot of little pieces of something were there and Tae had some little tools. "Honey?... What are you doiiiing?"

Taemin raised his head and looked at her. "Oh! Nothing..."

 

"...and what do you have there?" She said, getting on the tip of her toes to see what Taemin had between his hands. "um... it is... my cellphone"

"...What? What are you doing with it?" She was curious, not surpried. Over the years, she had found Taemin opening up his toys several times. "...I am fixing it." He said. His phone had been broken for a looooong time. The numbers didn't work, so that left it very useless. But since Taeminnie didn't had anyone to call or text, he decided he didn't needed a new one... "You know I only use it as a mp3 player and clock, but I want it to be able to make calls and... receive text messages..."

She got chills. The good kind of chills. She smiled and couldn't stop. "Oh" She left Taemin's food on the nearest little table and sat on the bed. "Sooo~? Who do you wanna get texts from?~"

Taemin dropped his tool and turned his head to her, he chuckled nervously "From no one, mom"

"Ooooooh~ You're blushing!"

"No, I'm not!"

"You met someone! Tell me, what's his name?"

"I-I didn't! There's no one!"

"Oh, C'mon. Tell mama everything~"

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Somewhere else, Onew was about to have a conversation with his mother, too. A quite different conversation.

Jinki entered his house silently, hoping to be unnoticed by the maids, so that they wouldn't tell his mother he wasn't home at 4:00pm like she told him to.

Everything seemed to be fine, no one was around and he reached his bedroom safetly... Or that was what he thought, until he opened the door and found out his mother was there, looking through his stuff. "What are you doing here??!" He snapped.

She looked at him, like if Jinki had betrayed her. She looked like he was about to cry or something. "I take care of you, Jinki..."

No, you don't.

 

"I've done EVERYTHING to help you get better..."

You mean the ing therapy?

 

"I do nothing but worry about you all day! And you can't at least talk to me with a PROPER tone??"

No, I can't.

 

She waited for an answer, but Onew didn't had one. Well, he did, he just wouldn't say it. "Where were you?..."

 

"I was... I just walked before getting back here"

"...and how did it go with the doctor?"

"Same as always..." He said. She was not pleased.

"WHAT'S ALL THIS STUFF I FOUND HERE?!" She had a little pile of magazines on Jinki's bed. "Explain these!!" She said, picking one up, holding it as if it were a dirty sock. "That's just a magazine, mom..."

"Full of pictures of men!!"

"Mom, it's a magazine. They tend to have pictures" He said.

Ok. It was a gay magazine.

 

"You have no right go through my stuff" He added. "I have every right! I'm your mother!"

"That's what you say..."

"What happened to you!? You are going to tell me right now! Who are you seeing?!"

 

 

 

/// "Who is he, honey~? C'mon, tell me please~" Tae's mom pouted cutely. "Mooom, there's no one, really" ///

 

 

*** "No one, mom!! I already told you!!"

"Liar! Its a boy, isn't it??" ***

 

 

/// "Is it a boy? Cause I don't know, maybe it is a girl? Is it a girl? Is she pretty?"

"He's not a girl"

Taemin's mom squealed "waaa! So he IS a boy! Tell me about him!!" ///

 

 

 

*** "Tell me everything you know about him! Cause I'm gonna track him down and make sure he never see you again!"

"What are you gonna do to him??"

"Ha! You just admited it! There is a boy, I knew it!! What's his name!?" ***

 

 

/// "what's his name, honey~ C'mon tell me, please please pretty please~"

"um... Jinki" Taemin shyly said. ///

 

 

*** "Why would I tell you?!"

"Because if you don't, I'm gonna tell your father!!"

"He's never here!!"

"Because he works very hard!! You should be grateful. You should at least try to make him proud. Not ashamed!! Reading these filthy magazines" ***

 

 

/// "Is he handsome~?"

"Mom! I d-don't know! How can I know?"

"You only needs eyes~" She said, poking his head. "So, is he?"

"I-... I don't know him that much... but... I guess" Taemin said, thinking of his little eyes and pretty smile. "Ooooooooooh~! And when am I meeting him?!"

"Wha-what? It's too soon for that. A-And what are you thinking? I'm his friend... I-I think"

"Ah... Well, you know, you can be anything you want, you know?” ///

 

 

*** "You think you can do anything you want. But NO! You CAN'T be anything you want, Jinki. You have to be normal! It's called "normal" for something!!"

"Mom, it's not what I WANT to be. I didn't just decided to be gay--"

"SHHH!! Someone might hear you!"

"Everyone knows, mom!"

"Shut up!"

"What do you wanna hide? I already told you and dad. Who cares?"

"How can you just say it like that? Have you any idea of how much you hurt us?!" ***

 

 

/// "It's okay, no pressure... But I AM calling your dad"

"W-Why?!"

"He needs to know! He asks me everynight, you know"

"...what does he asks you?"

"Well, he tells me how much he miss us, and asks me about Taesun and about you... He asks me how are you doing...aaaaand he wants to know if you go out..."

"Go out? Like how?"

"You know... like... with some boy"

"He really asks that?.."

"Yes! We think it would be good for you!"

"That's weird... Dad's always so awkward when he talks with me about boys" Taemin giggled. "I know!" She giggled, too. "...but he tries" Taemin nodded, smiling lightly. "I know, umma" ///


 

*** "No, mom. I have no idea. I wasn't hurt at all when you both turned your backs to me" Onew said. She rolled her eyes, and her golden little watch started making a beeping sound "Save it, Jinki. See what you did? I'm already late. I was supposed to be at the salon an hour ago!" She walked to the door. "I'm gonna go to a dinner party, ok? I don't want you to go out. Stay here, think. And one more thing, don't even think about telling Minho or Jonghyun about your stupid ideas, I don't want their mothers to come tell me how my son ruined theirs..." ***

 

 

/// "I just want you to know, you can tell anything to us. We're here for you" ///

 


/*/ "Is that clear?"

"...Yes, mom"  */*

 

 

-------------------------------

A few days later, Onew went visit Taemin. He didn't wanted to make Taemin think he was going to be all clingy, that's why he waited.
Also, he kinda couldn't go back home yet. Not after fighting with his mom that morning... again.
Onew didn't even worry anymore, he knows he just have to wait till his mom is out for a fancy dinner, or a party -a.k.a: a boring as hell reunion with 'important' people- or shopping with her friends, who, by the way, are as fake and plastic as her.

Onew walked, calm, along the big hallway that would take him to his new friend~
But out of nowhere an old lady intercepted him... and a big security guard was by her side.

"Excuse me, gentleman. Where are you going?" The woman said. Her tone scared Onew. "Uh, I'm, I-I was..."

"Are you a student of this institution?"

"I-I'm, I-I'm, I'm--"

"This man will take you to the administration office. You have a lot of explaining to do, sir"

"B-But"

"But nothing, boy. Now, c'mon"
The guard said.

 

When he was about to take his shoulder, Onew felt a tug on his arm. "Oh, there you are! I've been looking for you!" the young boy said, holding his arm with both hands a little too... lovingly. Onew looked at him, speechless and confused as hell. "Oh, Taemin! Is he with you?" The old lady asked... smiling. "Yes, he is. I told him to come pick me up~... I'm sorry, did he cause any trouble?"

"Oh, no! Of course not!"
She said, as if she wasn't just about to call the police. Even the scary guard was smiling now. "Any, uh, friend of Taemin's is welcome here!" She seemed so nice.

Taemin giggled and stood closer to him. Onew was overwhelmed. He was confused, scared... and he was blushing. "Oh, well, if you don't mind, we kinda have to go now.."

"Oh, of course. Don't forget to do your assignment for tomorrow, dear. Remember, it's important"

"I did it weeks ago"
Taemin smiled, giggling. "Well, it's doesn't surprise me" She said, waving goodbye. The younger boy bowed.

Taemin walked very fast, dragging Onew, holding his hand till they were outside. They stayed right outside of the academy doors, catching their breath. Not because they were tired, but because their hearts were racing. Onew had never been in trouble. At least not outside his house. He didn't know what could've happened to him. And Taemin, well, just like Onew, he has always been a good boy. Lying like that to the subprincipal is something he has never done before.

Still breathing heavily, Onew looked at Taemin. His hair was messy and it covered his eyes a little. "Uff, Taemin that was very---"



*SLAP*
 



...Taemin slapped Onew hard. Even his hand had a pulsating pain. Usually, he makes a lot of effort to not to show his 'femenine' manners in public, but this time... This time rage took over him. "T-Taemin, what the hell??" Onew said, rubbing his poor cheek. "When were you going to tell me!!?" Taemin yelled.

He was hurt.

"W-What??"

 

"You know what!! Onew, you don't even go here!!" He responded, pointing at the academy "What are you!? A stalker?!"

"N-NO! Let me explain!"
Onew said, worried. Taemin pushed him. "Get away from me, you !!" He ran down the entrance's brown steps, but Onew followed him. "Hey, I'm not a , I really didn't lie about anything that I said to you!! I-I-If you think about it, I never actually said I was a student here!"

"Oh! Yeah! That makes it SO much better!!"
Taemin sarcastically said, walking a little away from him, but he was stopped by the older's voice. "Taemin, please, I came to see you, I missed you--"

"I don't care!"
Tae said, pushing again, only this time, Onew lost balance and fell back on the sidewalk. The younger covered his mouth and was about to help him up, but he shook his head. "No. I already help you out before. But that's it"

Onew stood up by himself, ignoring the little injuries on his elbows, he now had a hurt and angry feeling on his eyes, just like Taemin. "You know what? I don't even know why I wanted to be your friend anymore. You're spoiled. I've been patient with you, but you do nothing except pushing me away! You're rude, you're--"

"Do you think I'm just gonna stand here to let you insult me?!"


There was silence. They looked like they wanted to set the other on fire with just their eyes.

"I can't believe a almost--" Taemin started, trying to say how he had a little paper with his number on it, now that his phone is fixed, to give Onew whenever he saw him, but was interrumpted by Onew's voice.

 

"Taemin, now I know why you don't have any friends"


Those words pushed Taemin back into his shell.
Like dropping a rock right in front of a turtle.

He moved his mouth, but he didn't know what to say. Tae desperatly tried to slap him again, but Onew dodged it "Stop that, Tae!" he said, holding his arms.

"Fine! Let me go, idiot. I'm leaving" the younger said, with a shaky voice.

"Well, I'm leaving too!"

"WELL, then let me go!!"

Onew, let his slim arms go. "I'm not gonna visit you anymore" He said... there was this thing inside him that still wanted Taemin to tell him otherwise... But that wouldn't make any sense. "I hope so" Taemin weakly said.

They both parted different ways. Hurt and dissapointed.

 

 

(A/N: Thinking of this and then thinking of them kissing or making sweet love to eachothers is so.. Idk it is too ironic lol)

 

 

~~~~~~

The older, handsome man walked around a bit after that.

Now that his head was cold, he felt horrible. He never should've said stuff like that to the shy boy. Onew thought of how hd had felt a connection with Taemin when they got to talk a little. When Taemin wasn't mad.

There must be a reason for that.

And he's also agressive and then shy and quiet. He must have issues. Who doesn't?

I don't even know his background story, God...

 

What did I do?

 

------------------------------

 

*knock knock knock*

 

"Coming!" Taemin's mom said, thinking maybe it was Taesun that forgot his key. She opened the door a little and found a tall, brown-haired young man with little eyes and plumb lips. "O-Oh, yes?"

"Excuse me... Is Taemin home?"

"hm, no he's not-- Oh, wait! Are you Jinki?" She asked, opening the door all the way and smiling. "uh, y-yes, I'm Lee Jinki"

"Omo! We have the same last name! C'mon! C'mon in!" She said, signing him to enter the house. She was glad she didn't had a weird costume that day, that woudl've freak out the boy. "Taemin should be home soon, you can wait for him inside"

Onew doubt at first, but took her word and stepped in. "T-Thank you"

She closed the door and then gently took Onew's arm, to lead him to the living room. "Please, take a seat! I'm gonna get you something to drink!" She didn't wait for Onew to say yes or no, she just left to the kitchen, happy.

The man sat on the couch, looking around. This first floor wasn't bigger than his parent's room, and still, he liked it a lot better.

It was warm, pretty, clean and comfy.

 

"Here you go! It's orange juice, I squeezed it myself I hope you like it~" She said, giving Jinki a blue colored glass. He liked that too. At his house there's only fancy glasses, with no color or fun shape. "Oh!" Onew took it and drank a little. It was sweet~ "I like it, thank you, miss"

"No problem!~ Taemin called me a while ago, he said he was going to be at the academy an extra hour" She took a seat in front of Onew's, still smiling to him. He cleared his throat, looking for something to say.

"U-Uh, I asked Taemin, and he told he only had a brother... He... He didn't said he had a sister!"

“Ah!” she laughed “You’re so nice. I’m his mother”

“What?!” Onew said, truly surprised “But you’re so young looking!”

“Oh, stop it~!”

 

Jinki looked at her for a moment. She was so pretty. And short, that was cute. She wasn’t like his mother, tall and skinny like a model. This lady WAS thin, but not too much. She looked a lot more healthy than his mom.

Taemin’s mom hair was wavy, not straight and lifeless like his mother’s.

Her eyes were sparkly and had the shape of little moons, and they were not shadowed by fake lashes like his mother’s. Her smile was warm and sincere, unlike the smile his mother had everytime she saw a photographer.

Jinki even liked the slightly pale tone of her lips, she didn’t had a fake bloody red tone his mother liked to use.

 

 

“Oh, dear! You’re bleeding!” She said, pointing at his elbow. Jinki forgot about that, being all worried and rushed. “O-Oh, it’ okay, really”

“No, stay here, I’ll be right back!” She quickly went to the bathroom, where they keep their little first aid kit, and went back to Onew. She took out cotton and alcohol. “Hold your arm please”

 

Onew did as she told him, and let her clean his cut, even though it burn. “A-Ah!”

“Oh, please, hold on!” She said, wih a worried look. She finished and patched him with a band-aid. “There! Good as new~” She smiled, patting Onew’s cheek.

“T-Thank you…” Onew responded, blushing.

 

They both turned their heads when they heard the front door opening.

Hey, mom, I’m home, I--”

 

Taemin froze when he saw the older boy IN HIS HOUSE.

 

“Taemin, look! Your friend is here!” his mom said, super-happy.

The younger walked slowly, “m-mom… Could you… Could you leave us alone for a moment?”

“hmm…” She said and then walked to him to whisper into his ear  “I don’t know, Are you going to makeout?”

“NO!”

“Ok, ok! I’ll be in my room. Call me if you need something, ok?” She smiled, and bowed to Onew, quickly going upstairs.

Taemin waited until he heard the door closing.

“What are you doing here!!?” He asked, trying not to raise his voice.

Taemin, i’m so sorry! I wa totally out of line, everything I said was--

“You just said what everyone thinks. Now leave! I really don’t wanna see you!”

“Taemin, please forgive me. I really didn’t mean it! I-I was just upset and stressed, I’m really sorry I exploted like that.”

“…I can’t trust you” Taemin said, looking down.

“I… I understand.. I was hoping… maybe we could spend a day together! And have a real talk, get to know eachother..”

Taemin had just spend the last half hour, whipping inside, and he was still angry, but he did thought maybe he was too rude… and this was so sudden. “I don’t know, Jinki..”

“I-if you still think I’m a stalker, you can bring your brother with you!” Onew insisted, really wanting to make this right. “…I’m really,sorry”

Taemin his lips, unsure. “I-I don’t know…”

 

“Please?...” Onew begged, with his soft, charming voice. Taemin looked into his eyes for a moment.

 

“Ok… I will spend a day with you, Onew…but if you yell at me again, I’ll—“

“No, no, I won’t, of course not!” Onew said fast.

They stayed silent and then Onew smiled… his handsome smile made Taemin’s eyes turn into those pretty little moons.

Suddenly, Tae’s mom oponed her door and ran downstairs.

 

“I’m sorry boys! I remember the stove was on! I don’t want to burn down the house!!”

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taeminnieah

 

Hey~! I feel bad for calling Taemin’s mom, just “Taemin’s mom”! but I can’t think of a name for her! You can suggest something, just tell me where did you get the name lol, (if it’s an artist’s name, or you made it up, etc)

 

Please comment guys!!! :D