↷ chapter two ; of radio contests and posters.

↷ battle of the bands ; in progress.
large.jpg   large.png   large.jpg
As a tall girl exits a studio, hands raising above her head as she ties her long, auburn-coloured hair up into a messy ponytail, she hears a faint buzzing sound. Sticking her hand into the back pocket of her jean shorts, she pulls out a phone and answers the call immediately once she sees the ID flash across the screen.

“Yah, Kang Jihye! Thanks for finally calling me back!” the girl speaks, pretending to be annoyed at her best friend.

“Hey, Sujeong,” the other responds with a laugh, not even phased by the other girl’s tone. It's obvious she was just kidding so Jihye knew it was okay. “Sorry about that, I was in the studio all day so I couldn’t hear my phone. What did you need me to call you for?”

“What, can’t a girl call her best friend just to talk?” Sujeong retorts with sass as she presses her back against the studio's exterior.

After hearing her friend's response, Jihye can't help but let out a snort as she exits the recording room she was in moments prior in order to not disturb the others who're still working. Once she's safely outside with the door closed, she starts speaking again. “Considering you would rather send a text so I get the message immediately instead of having to wait for me to call you back, you must want to tell me something important so spit it out!”

There's a silence on the line before “Crap, I forgot you knew me too well,” the auburn haired girl mumurs. “Well, whatever, what I’m about to tell you is big. Remember that radio contest I was trying to win?”

“Vaguely,” Jihye replies as she leans against a wall. She did recall Sujeong telling her about a contest that was being advertised on her favourite radio station all week but for the life of her, Jihye couldn’t remember what the contest was for.

“Well, I won!” The girl reveals. “I won the contest, Ji, so I get two tickets and backstage passes for the upcoming CNBLUE concert. Can you imagine? I finally get to see Jonghyun’s beautiful face in the flesh!”

Upon hearing the news, Jihye becomes speechless as her eyes widen. Of all the concerts there were, why did it have to be CNBLUE’s? It would’ve been fine if it was just the concert tickets because they could get in and get out but the fact that Sujeong won backstage passes and would more than likely drag Jihye with her, well, she didn’t even want to think about what would happen.

“Yah, Kang Jihye, are you still listening?”

Sujeong’s question breaks the worried girl out of her thoughts and after realizing she had spaced out, Jihye apologizes. “Sorry, what were you saying about Jonghyun’s face?”

“That it was beautiful and perfect and wait... I was talking about that awhile ago... was that the last thing you heard?!” After Jihye’s silence, Sujeong sighs once she realizes that Jihye did zone out for a moment there. “What am I going to do with you...”

“Don’t worry about me! I gotta get back to the studio now though so I’ll talk to you later, okay?” Jihye rushes out. Before waiting for a reply from her best friend, she presses the ‘end’ button and lets herself slump down against the wall. A few moments later of Jihye holding her head in her hands, the door to the studio opens causing her to snap her head up.

“Ji, he’s getting ready to show us something new,” a petite girl with semi-short, slight spiked up hair and bright blue eyes--probably contacts, Jihye thinks--tells her. She nods, telling her that she heard as she slowly rises up from the crouching position she was in and follows the other girl back into the recording room.

 

 

large.jpg   large.png   large.jpg
It’s a pleasant-enough spring day and instead of spending it outside like everyone else was, there's one girl who chose to spend it inside instead. Whether she wanted to or not was another question but thanks to her job, she can't partake in the lovely weather Seoul had bestowed upon them.

“Jini, can you go fix the shelves to make sure the videos are in their right place?” a voice calls out, interrupting the thoughts of the nineteen year old girl who was lazing around and casually slouched over the counter where she was positioned. Blinking at the sudden request, her facial expression remains unchanged from its usual stoicness even as she shrugs, not bothering to give a response when she pushes herself off the counter. Making her way to the rows and rows of shelves, she slowly takes her time going up and down the aisles and vaguely inspects all the tapes at her a leisurely pace.

Having worked the VHS rental shop for long enough, Jini knows that none of the videos would be out of place and that her manager had only given her this job because he was trying to give her something to do other than leaning on the counter and staring blankly out the window so she has no problem being so nonchalant and uncaring towards the task at hand.
 
After all, the store barely saw anyone, much less enough customers that would move things out of their places so it's really no surprise that Jini holds this kind of attitude in the first place.

That’s not to say she absolutely dislikes working here, though. It’s quiet and suits her personality nicely as Jini is not the most sociable-- the less people there are to interact with, the better for her. The pay is decent enough, too, and anything that contributes to her living funds is okay with her.
 
In fact, thanks to working at the store, she was inspired to buy an old VHS camcorder after her manager had made her watch some old movie shortly after she was hired. Now she carries the machine with her everywhere, often recording mundane things she sees in her daily life to edit later for a video she’d upload on her YouTube channel.

At some point between the comedy movies and animated film aisles, a jingling sound chimes from the bells attached to the store’s front door causing Jini to look over at the entrance. From where she stands peeking over the top of the shelves, she only sees one girl at first before before another appeared from behind her shortly after. Figuring they were just customers, the raven-haired girl turns her attention away from them and goes back to her work.


“Hi, would it be okay if we put up a poster here?” the shorter of the two girls asks as politely as she could. The manager agrees easily but not without mentioning that they didn’t really receive many customers. “It’s okay,” she says again while handing the male a piece of paper. “Thank you!”

With that, the jingling sound is heard once again as the door opens and closes, the two girls already gone before Jini could make it to the next aisle of tapes. Despite not paying a lot of attention to the girls, Jini had still overheard the conversation and wondered what the poster was about so she decides that checking shelves can wait and walks up to the front counter. “What was that about?” she asks.

“Some girls wanted to put up a poster advertising their band or something,” the manager responds, passing the paper to let Jini see for herself.

Picking up the poster, the female quickly scans it, memorizing the information outlined on it for later. “So this band is looking for new members?” the usually quiet girl inquires.

“Seems so. Apparently they just created the group and they need more people so they’re holding auditions this Saturday," the other replies, shrugging his shoulder before turning to walk towards the back room. "By the way," he calls over his shoulder. "Put up that poster in the front window, too!"

Jini sighs, mostly to herself but nods anyways even though no one's around to see it. Moving around to the other side of the counter, she pulls out a roll of tape and brings it along with the flyer to the front of the store and tapes up the advertisement. She takes a step back after to inspect her work and with the sun still out, she can read the words of the poster even through the paper.

If one were to take one look at Jini's face, they would think she looked uninterested in the audition but the truth was far from that assumption. She was actually exicted since she played the guitar and sang a little in her free time, sometimes also writing her own songs (whether they were good enough to be heard by others or not was another story). Jini always had a liking for music and being in a band sounded like fun to her. In the case that it fizzled out, at least she would have something to occupy her time until then.

The only problem she could see happening is that she would have problems interacting with others or if they didn’t think she was good enough to be in their band. Even so, Jini couldn't help but think there's no harm in trying, right? Smiling slightly to herself for a brief second after making the decision to audition, she got back to work. 

Before she knows it, her work shift passes by faster than normal and at this point, Jini is more than ready to go home, unwind, and start practicing. As she says her goodbyes to the manager who was the only other worker there that day, she heads for the exit--but not without taking a final, quick look at the poster.
 
 

 

cassidy speaks

Alright! Hey guys. Sorry for the ~*~no updates~*~ thing I had going on there for a while. I was at a loss on how I wanted to introduce all the characters and such but now, I have an idea! So expect more of these introduction chapters to come. The next one will feature two more girls, and the final one will be the last character I pick, so please anticipate it!

I don't have much to say for this except, I hope I portrayed your characters well enough! If not, feel free to point out anything you think should be "changed" via a pm or a comment, and I'll keep it in mind for the future.

After posting this, I plan on moving around the chapters and stuff so watch out for that. And the poster on the front page will soon be updated! So congrats to i-cant and pshaw_ for being the first two chosen!♥
 
( EDIT ON 05/14/14 ) :: Please check the edit at the bottom of the author note on Chapter One to see what I've been up to in terms of this story!