Baby Steps

Seohyun - Songfic Collection

7KAfX7Q.jpg

pDEIwjA.jpg

Baby Steps - SNSD TTS

My scrunched up feelings keep seeping out oh
I try to hide and cover it but it all comes out oh
As I see you, who I can’t touch
I hide because my small shadow might be seen

 

She in her breath and lets it out slowly.

"Ok, Hyun, you can do this - fighting!"

With that, the young girl gently pushes the elegant glass doors and lets herself in. She quietly assess the room, noting that there are many others just like her, waiting and hoping.

"Ladies, if you've already had your interview please don't dawdle. We will contact you when we have finished our selection." a strict-looking supervisor sitting at the front desk says.

He is answered with several sighs of frustration as a few young women stand and leave.

Seohyun makes her way past them and approaches the desk. 

"Hello, I am here for the 1:30 appointment."

"Name?"

"Seo Joo Hyun"

"Take these forms and have a seat."

Nodding, she goes and waits in an empty corner of the office. The headquarters of SKJ Partners, LLP are no joke. Spanning two buildings each 70 odd floors tall, they are both imposing and decadent, speaking to the style of the company itself. The executive suite has the feel of a modern palace with its ornate decor and leather seating. 

Although only ten minutes have passed, she feels like she's been waiting for thirty when the supervisor finally calls her name.

"Go in, Mr. Jung is ready for you."

She thanks him and walks towards the interior office, squaring her shoulders and knocking confidently on the door.

"Come in", a baritone voice answers.

She pokes her head in and hears a quiet chuckle. 

"I won't bite. Promise."

Blushing, she hurriedly enters, seating herself in front of his desk but avoiding any eye contact. 

"Let's see, is it Seo Joo Hyun-ssi?"

"Yes, sir."

"Just Yunho-ssi is fine."

"Yes, sir."

He raises an eyebrow and she blinks and stutters, "I mean, Yunho-ssi".

Now that she's slightly over her initial bout of nervousness, she takes a moment to study the man everyone wants a piece of these days - the legendary Jung Yunho. She read his biography on the company website last night but the details are a blur in her head right now. Something about how he was first in his class at Seoul University and the newest and youngest partner ever at SKJ, Korea's most prestigious law firm; the accolades seem neverending. He definitely looks the part with his strong jaw line and tall figure, but she notices upon closer inspection that there is a kind gleam in his eyes.  The warm glow of his brown orbs signify that he is not as scary as her imagination conjured. She approves.

He chuckles again and she finds herself liking the sound.

"Based on this, you were class president of your high school, volunteer at the local hospital, and seem to have a penchant for adopting stray animals," he remarks while flipping through her resume.

"So tell me Seo Joohyun-ssi, why is a girl like you interested in becoming my secretary?"

 

"I need the income."
 
 
It is his turn to blink and look surprised.
 
"I see. That's very .... honest."
 
"I have two semesters left in college before I graduate, and my parents have decided to pull their financial support." she explains. 
 
"And why's that?"
 
She sighs.
 
"I think it was something along the lines of a philosophy major being useless and a waste of time and money. Plus, they want me to get married to our next door neighbor's kid who I've known since forever. It would just be weird, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me that way either. All he ever talks about is sports and yeah, I guess he's kinda smart because he can calculate all of these statistics but I don't think husband material is someone who knows that Shin-Soo Choo's on base percentage was .394 last year! And to top that, I would have to move in with his parents, who ....."
 
He listens to her rambling patiently, amused and intrigued by this girl. 
 
"So what is husband material then?" he asks, interrupting her.
 
She pauses and thoughtfully considers his question.
 
"I guess someone who will challenge me, intellectually. Like a slightly older person who I could have serious conversations with and learn from about topics we are both interested in. But he also has to know when to have fun and let loose. Oh, and it would be nice if he has pretty eyes."
 
The last part has him laughing again. 
 
"And why philosophy?"
 
"I've been asked that question often enough." she replies with a smile. "The best answer I think was said by Aristotle: 'I have gained this from philosophy; that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.'"
 
It is a daring response for someone interviewing at a law firm and not at all what he was expecting. But the again, nothing about Seo Joohyun seems to be predictable and Yunho recognizes a worthy opponent when he sees one.
 
"Your Aristotle also said that law is reason without passion, but I think he would change his mind if he ever met me in the courtroom." he counters.
 
Her eyes glint back at him, accepting his challenge. "True, but I believe philosophy balances those emotions as it can be said that a person only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason."
 
Impressed, Yunho lets her have the last word.  
 
"Touche." he says, mentally saluting her. 
 
He wraps up the interview with more standard questions, which she answers thoughtfully and politely. When they are finished, she stands and bows ninety degrees.
 
After she leaves, Yunho realizes his decision has already been made. What had started as a weary day of interviews with simpering girls that only seemed to want to get in his bed had actually ended quite well. 
 
"Sir, your next appointment is here." his fill-in secretary informs him through the intercom.
 
"No need, I think I am done for today."
 
"Would you like me to reschedule then sir?"
 
"No, please just provide my apologies. And get me Seo Joohyun's number."
 
 

Oh, with trembling steps, I carefully approach you
Oh, the closer I get to you
Somehow the more I’m afraid that
you’ll get farther away

 

It is exactly noon on a Thursday and Yunho has cleared his schedule for lunch, miraculously. The week has been hectic with endless meetings and conversations with potential clients. He knows that as a partner, he needs to wine and dine like the best of them to get business in the door but he's honestly sick of up to cranky, sixty-year old executives and just wants to have a meal where he can relax.

Walking out of his office, he spies Seohyun at her desk, dilligently typing away. 

"Seohyun-ah, are you not hungry?"

"Oh, Yunho-ssi, hello!" she replies cheerfully. "I had not realized it was lunch time."

She's already worked for him for a week now and he realizes he has neglected her a little due to his busy schedule.

"Well, how about we go out to lunch then? It would be good to get away from this stuffy office." he suggests.

Her eyes light up and he notices how attractive she looks today in her beige dress paired with a sleeveless blue blouse.

(Author's Note: I used this as reference: http://kpopstyle.info/2012/06/17/sunny-seohyun-wears-carven-to-girl-de-provence-launch.html)

"Sure, that sounds lovely."

"Good, and you can tell me more about those philosophical theories you're studying."

She laughs. "Of course, but be careful what you ask for because I'm known for getting into some serious discussions."

"Bring it on." he grins.

--------------------------------------------------

They dine at an upscale restaurant in a nearby hotel, which boasts of having an international head chef known for his excellent Italian cuisine. Never has a person dined there without raving reviews, thus it was understandable that Yunho and Seohyun's waiter was a little concerned upon seeing their untouched plates.

"I don't think that the implementation of capital punishment is barbaric. But that does not necessarily mean I condone it."

"Yet as a lawyer, you believe the law should have the authority to punish as it sees fit, and this would include the death penalty."

"Yes, as it stands now, capital punishment is legal in our country. But the entire debate surrounding this topic is missing a crucial point: the existence and current popularity of the death penalty directly speaks to the failures of our prison system."

"Ahem, sir, may I ask - was there anything unappealing with your meal?"

Yunho looks up, surprised at the sudden interruption. He and Seohyun had been so engrossed in their conversation that they had not realized their respective lunches remained essentially uneaten in front of them.

Looking sheepish he replies, "Oh no, we only got a little carried away with our discussion."

"Yes, everything has been wonderful," Seohyun adds reassuringly.

The waiter nods seriously and decides to make himself useful by refreshing their drinks before leaving.

"I'm sorry Seohyun-ah, I did not mean to invite you to lunch and not let you eat any of it," Yunho apologizes.

"Oh no, I'm the one who should apologize. This always happens to me - my parents say I'm too curious for my own good." she replies.

Yunho smiles warmly. "I think a little curiousity is actually very refreshing. It's not every day that I get to share my opinions on capital punishment during lunch."

She laughs and reminds him, "I did give you fair warning after all."

"That you did," he agrees.

---------------------------------------------------

On the way out, they happen to see two older women whom Yunho recongize as wives of some business partners. They briefly exchange greetings as he and Seohyun wait for the valet to retrieve the car. As the ladies walk away, Yunho's ears catch some of their conversation.

"He's quite the catch isn't he."

"But who was that girl with him?"

"Who knows, but as long as its not his secretary - that would be scandalous!"

"Especially knowing his family's history."

Yunho stiffens and clenches his jaw. There was nothing wrong with him taking his employees out to lunch, anyone would agree. But the two women had actually been refering to a past discretion of his father's that remained a blemish on his family's reputation, one that he would like to erase if he could. He would have to be more careful in the future, he realizes.

He also reminds himself sternly that although Seohyun's mind seemed more mature than her twenty-one years, she was still six years his junior and he would not - no, could not, cross that line.

Seohyun, though, had not heard them and only wondered why Yunho seemed a little distant once they got in the car. She chalked it up to indigestion and made a mental note to bring him some vitamins.  

 

It’s so hard to read your eyes
All day I’m cautious around you
Oh, with trembling steps,
I carefully approach you again

 

"Seohyun-ah, do you have a moment to type up these notes - " Yunho walks over to her desk one afternoon, prepared to give her his illegible scribbling from a client meeting when he sees her enter through the door with a tall stack of books piled up to her chin.

"Ah, Yunho-ssi! Yes, just one second ... Uh oh." As she greets him, the books that are precariously balanced in her arms tilt to one side and she sways with them dangerously. 

"Whoa, steady now." He rushes to help her but in that same moment, she leans forward and he ends up awkardly grabbing one of her arms and only some of the books. Even with his help, she is unable to stop her momentum and careens to the ground, taking him down with her.

Yunho lands on his back and sees stars for the first time since he played hockey during his university days. Somewhere above him, he hears Seohyun groan softly.

"Seohyun-ah? You alright?"

His eyes finally focus and he realizes she is lying on top of him, her head resting on his chest and hands clutching his shoulders.

Suddenly, he feels short of breath and his heart thumps erratically.

The soft curves of her body are temptingly close and he has to clinch his hands into fists to stop his arms from embracing her on their own accord.

Seohyun lifts her head and looks around, only then noticing their position on the floor. "Yunho-ssi? Oh my gosh are you ok?!" she exclaims. 

Completely forgetting their physical closeness in her concern for him, she hovers over him instead of getting up immediately. Her brows scrunch together and she worriedly scans his face for injury, her own face only inches away from his. 

He in a breath and stares back at her, dazed. Her eyes widen when he doesn't respond and she frantically begins waving her hand in front of his face. "Yunho-ssi? Oh no, say something!"

"Too freaking cute" he mutters under his breath. 

"What? What did you say, Yunho-ssi?"

"Nothing, sorry - I was still a little stunned there." he says quickly, before she can question him further. He starts to push himself up into a sitting position and she sighs in relief as she backs away and sits down next to him. 

"I'm so sorry! I knew I was pushing my luck just now, but I thought I could at least make it to my desk." she explains, looking at him sorrowfully. 

He pats her shoulder reassuringly. "We all tend to be too optimistic about our own abilities."

"I'm a little bit of a klutz," she admits.

"I know."

She pouts and he chuckles. "She has to be the most endearing klutz I've ever met." he thinks. 

Out loud, he says, "In your defense, this many books would have probably overwhelmed anyone."

Yunho stands up and reaches out to give Seohyun a hand, which she gratefully accepts. Still embarrassed by their little mishap, they let go instantly and busy themselves by dusting off their clothes. 

"So what are you doing with all of these," Yunho questions as he reaches down to pick up the scattered bocks. 

Seohyun quickly bends down to help, saying, "Well, lately I feel like I"m losing my focus you know, since I"m taking a semester off school. So this is some supplementary reading I picked up from the library."

He stares at her, surprised but knowing he shouldn't be. After all, this is Seohyun. "This is supplementary reading?"

"I already had to leave three books behind at the library!" she says defensively. 

Yunho just shakes his head. "Come, I have something to show you," he says, walking towards his office.

"Something to show me?" she asks, following him.

He doesn't answer but simply keeps walking. Once in his office, she discovers that there's another door she's never noticed before, which he opens for her. 

Seohyun stops short, unsure, but he nods and gestures for her to enter. 

She gasps in delight when she sees what's inside.

"You have your own private library?" she asks, amazed.

"It came with the place. My predecessor was just as much a bibliophile apparently."

Seohyun runs her hands along the spines of the books. "He also has some interesting taste."

"Most of these are probably legal texts. I haven't had the chance to add my own collection."

She nods and looks around wide-eyed.

Yunho smiles as he watches her. "You're free to use this anytime you like. I"ll leave the door open from now on."

"Really? Are you sure? I don't want to disturb you -"

He waves his hand, dismissing her concerns. "Of course. Actually, why don't we move some of your books in here right now. You can claim your own shelf."

She beams at him, saying, "Thank you Yunho-ssi!" and rushes out to grab her books from her desk.

And there goes his plan to stay away from Seo Joohyun. 

 

Oh, please come closer
so you can see my love
One, Two, my heart Three, Four, my breath Five,
Six, my entire body walks, only seeing you

 

Seohyun rubs her eyes tiredly and stretches her arms above her head. 

Glancing out the window, she only sees darkness and the glow of the city lights. "But I shouldn't leave yet," she thinks, tilting her head towards Yunho's office, where a heated phone conversation is still taking place. 

It's the night before the court hearing for one of SKJ's largest clients and Yunho has been working overtime for the past week to prepare. Seohyun thought it was only fair that she stay too and do what she can to help. She knows he's been skipping meals and honestly, she's worried about him. 

She sighs and decides to check on him. Quietly, she approaches his door and takes a peek inside.

"Look, we don't have time for this. If the witness is not available by 9 am tomorrow, we'll just have to do without. Call me with an update in an hour."

She hears him slam down the phone and let out a frustrated sigh. He finally lets his shoulders slump forward and rests his face in his hands, the sign of a defeated and tired man. 

The image tugs at her heartstrings and she has a sudden desire to go over and give him a hug. Entering his office, she asks softly, "Yunho-ssi? Is there anything you need right now?"

He looks up and gives her a weary smile. "Seohyun-ah, what are you doing here still?"

"I thought you might want some company. As a college student, late night vigils are my specialty." She smiles, hoping to cheer him up.

He chuckles and she feels warmer inside already.

"I don't know, Seohyun-ah, can you make a flight risk of a witness appear in my courtroom tomorrow morning?"

"It's not hopeless, Yunho-ssi. I will help you."

"Really? How?" he asks, curious.

She grins, "First, we need to get some food in you. I've already ordered take out - it will be here in ten minutes. Next, what argument did you need the witness to make for you?"

"Well, it's a medical malpractice suit. It can get pretty complicated to explain to the jury without an expert and I was banking on this doctor coming through for us. However, at the last minute, he gets cold feet and refuses to commit."

Seohyun taps her chin thoughtfully. "Hm, and he did not specify why?"

Yunho shakes his head. "I've been going in circles with Dr. Myeong. He keeps giving us the same line - it would go against his professional standards, et cetera. I'm not sure why since we're only asking him to testify on a topic he's published a thesis on!"

"Perhaps there is something else that is holding him back then. Reading between the lines, would he have any personal connections to this case?" Seohyun suggests. 

Yunho raises a quizzical eyebrow. "Personal connection?"

"Yes, this doctor, couldn't he have his own motive to not testify?"

Yunho thinks deeply for a moment but nothing comes to mind.

Suddenly, Seohyun exclaims, "Wait! What did you say his name is?"

Yunho answers blankly, "Dr. Myeong? Do you know him - " but she has already rushed over to his library without looking back. He follows and finds her bent over a large text, rapidly flipping through pages.

"Dr. Myeong..... it couldn't be Myeong Dae Hyun right?"

Yunho just stares at her in awe. How did she know?

Seohyun smiles triumphantly. "I've been reading up on the ties between philosophy and modern day medicine recently since my parents still need convincing that philosophy is a useful discipline. Anyways, I saw an old article about Myeong Dae Hyun. The author used him to demonstrate the importance of medical ethics. Five years ago, his wife was diagnosed with chronic lukemia and he went through a great deal of difficulty because he tried treating her himself. She was his patient but also his wife and he failed to separate the two. Unfortunately, she passed away after three years of treatment and it was rumored that his inlaws almost sued for malpractice. But they did not and the story was gradually forgotten." 

"So he thinks by testifying for us, the prosecution may use this against him." Yunho thinks out loud. 

"Most definitely." Seohyun affirms.

Yunho paces around the library, contemplating. "Hm, well this is a new obstacle. but it's not impossible to overcome. I will make a deal with him - we'll only use him as a nontestifying expert. He'll have to be present but he won't be put on the stand and the prosecution will not be able to take the same liberties."

"Oh? So that would work too?" Seohyun asks.

"It should. As long as he can help question the opposing side's expert and gives us some legitimacy." Yunho says to her, grinning. She beams back at him, equally pleased that they have found their answer. 

"Seohyun-ah, what would I do without you?" Yunho asks her.

"Me? Oh, I ... I didn't do much - " she stammers as he steps closer to her. 

He smiles, she blushes, and before she knows it, he's kissing her.

She's been kissed before - clumsy, nervous kisses during high school with adolescent boys who know no more about it than she does. But Jung Yunho is a different story. His lips are sensuous and experienced, molding into hers with just enough pressure to make her dizzy and wanting more. He doesn't overpower her but lets her enjoy the moment with him, building the desire between them. 

Slowly, he backs her into a bookshelf, living out the fantasy he's had ever since she invaded his library with her philosophy textbooks. His hands cup her face to him tenderly and he wants to go further but restrains himself, knowing she isn't ready yet. 

He pulls away gently but keeps his hand at her cheek, caressing the soft skin. 

Seohyun opens her eyes and stares at him, not knowing what to say. After all, she has just kissed her boss, in his library, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

He sighs and breaks the silence. "Don't do that."

"Don't do what?" she asks, curious. 

"Look at me like that - you are too tempting." He leans in and whispers, "All I want to do right now is kiss you."

She gulps and is about to say that she wouldn't mind that at all when they are interrupted by the shrill sound of a telephone ringing. 

Seohyun startles and ducks under his arms. "Oh! That must be the delivery food. I'll be right back!" she calls over her shoulder and rushes off.

He chuckles at her retreating form, shaking his head in amusement.

 

One, Two, even now Three, Four, even today Five,
Six, even tomorrow, walk toward me

 

He hears a timid knock on his door and looks up from his paperwork. "Yes?"

"Yunho-ssi, may I speak with you briefly?" Seohyun asks, poking her head in.

"Of course, come in." he replies, wishing she would drop the honorifics. They had left on good terms last night after he spontaneously kissed her, so he hopes she is not regretting anything now. Although this morning was a little awkward, he wants to try to make this work. 

However, it's almost like a re-enactment of their first meeting, some six months ago. Her hands nervously twist together in her lap but she puts on a brave, determined face.

"I quit." She says, quietly and firmly.

Yunho looks stricken but before he can say anything she rushes to explain.

"I like you. A lot. And not in the platonic, work friendly way. I think you're one of the few men in my life who treats me like a woman, not a little girl. I like sharing  my ideas with you, learning from you, and debating esoteric topics with you that no one else seems interested in, but I don't think I can do that as your secretary. Therefore, Yunho-ssi, I am respectfully turning in my resignation. " Seohyun blurts out in one breath.

He looks at the young woman in front of him, who has managed to make him fall for her in only a few months with her quirkiness, intelligence, and beauty and thinks that his heart has chosen well.

"I accept." he answers, grinning.

She grins back at him and bows. "Then I will finish up my work for today and clean out my desk."

He stands up and embraces her in his arms.

"And then you are coming home with me." he says.

"Ok Yunho-ah."

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: I really love nerdy, clumsy Seohyun, she's too adorable. And ever since Yunho said he would have been a prosecutor if not an idol, I've imagined him as one.