The Fight

To Choke Him

            In their dorm, Kris and Chanyeol were getting ready to rehearse their rapping parts together. But for Chanyeol, this meant leaving Baekhyun alone in their room while he and Kris went out. Baekhyun knew that some fans shipped Kris and Chanyeol as a couple, and he really didn’t like it. This particular day, he decided to try to stop Chanyeol from leaving.

            “Baekhyun, I have to go soon. Kris is coming to get me,” Chanyeol told him.

            “No! I want you to stay with me,” Baekhyun pouted. He held onto Chanyeol’s arm with his whole body and pulled him away from the door.

            “You are supposed to go practice your singing with D.O.”

            “But I want to be with you.”

            “Baekhyun, we’ll be together again later today. Can’t you wait and just do what you’re supposed to do?”

            “No. I want you all day.” He squeezed Chanyeol’s arm harder.

            “Don’t make me have to pry you off again.”

            “What?”

            Chanyeol arched his free arm around Baekhyun and put his hand on the back of Baekhyun’s neck. Baekhyun started giggling.

            “I know you get all relaxed when I touch you here,” Chanyeol said. He started gently scratching the back of Baekhyun’s neck.

            “No—I’m—not—letting you go!” Baekhyun said through his giggles. He couldn’t help but turn into a giggling mess on the floor. Chanyeol continued scratching and rubbing him until he heard the door open.

            Kris entered the room.

            “Chanyeol, are you ready to—what’s wrong with him?” he said, looking at Baekhyun.

            “No!” Baekhyun answered and jumped back up, still smiling.

            “Uh…”

            “Chanyeol, you’re not leaving me for Kris again, are you?” Baekhyun asked, grabbing Chanyeol’s hand and looking imploringly into his surprised eyes.

            “Uh…”

            “What did you just say, Baekhyun?” Kris asked. “Leaving you for me?”

            “Chanyeol is mine! Go back to Tao!” Baekhyun shouted at him.

            “We’re just going to practice our rapping. We’re not together or anything.”

            “He’s mine! Go away!” Baekhyun broke into tears.

            “Baekhyun, please,” Chanyeol spoke up. He clasped Baekhyun around the shoulders and looked into his watery eyes. “Just listen to me, okay?”

            Baekhyun sniffled and tears trickled down his cheeks.

            “I’m not leaving you for Kris. And I never have left you for him and I never will. I love only you and I will be with you forever and ever. Okay?”

            Baekhyun fell apart crying. His legs collapsed under the weight of his heavy heart. Chanyeol held him up and Baekhyun’s head fell into Chanyeol’s chest. He wept loudly and wrapped his arms tightly around Chanyeol. Chanyeol hugged him just as tightly and kissed the top of his head.

            “Maybe I should just leave,” Kris said to himself.

            “Wait, Kris.”

            “What?”

            “Could you tell them I’m sorry I can’t go right now? Tell them I’ll go later.”

            “Should I tell the other members about this too?”

            “About Baekhyun? Yeah, tell them to come over.”

            “Alright, I’m going.” Kris looked pitifully at Baekhyun. “He actually thought I wanted you for me? Poor little…puppy.” Kris softly Baekhyun’s hair and left.

            “Baekhyun, are you alright?”

            Baekhyun pushed himself out of Chanyeol’s hug.

            “You’re still going to leave me again?” he said quietly, looking at the floor. “You’re going to leave me later?”

            “I told you I’m never leaving you. Don’t you ever listen to me?”

            “But…you and Kris…”

            “What about us?”

            “You sometimes hold hands in airports.”

            “And? I’m with you every other time. I’m with you in hotels and at concerts and in the dorm like right now. I take showers with you every day, even while we were still trainees. You shouldn’t feel jealous, because I’m with you almost all the time.”

            “Jealous?” Baekhyun repeated. “I’m not jealous.”

            “Yes you are.”

            “No I’m not!” Baekhyun yelled.

            “Don’t yell at me.” Chanyeol tried to stay calm. “Please, Baekhyun, listen to me.”

            “I’m not jealous!”

            “Baekhyun…” Chanyeol took a step toward Baekhyun and tried to hug him again.

            Baekhyun stepped back sharply. Chanyeol could sense anger quickly rising in Baekhyun.

            “You never hug me or kiss me or pour shampoo on me or spit water in my face or even look at me in the shower anymore! You must be bored of me and want Kris more,” Baekhyun whined.

            “You…want me to…you want me to look at you in the shower?” Chanyeol asked, confused. “I thought you hated it when I did all those things to you.”

            “Do you do those things to Kris now?” Baekhyun said angrily.

            “I’ve taken showers with you for the past two years. And why do you hate Kris so much?”

            “You love him more than you love me!”

            “No I don’t! I told you I love you most!”

            “Aaaaahhhhh!” Baekhyun screamed furiously. He bolted into the kitchen and rummaged through one of the drawers.

            “Baekhyun, what are you doing?” Chanyeol said nervously.

            “You will pay for breaking my heart!” Baekhyun turned around and faced Chanyeol. In his hand was a steak knife. Chanyeol felt the blood in his face suddenly rush away, leaving a chilling emptiness in its place.

            “Baekhyun, put that back in the drawer,” Chanyeol said, his voice trembling.

            Baekhyun used his shirt sleeve to wipe the tears from his eyes and took a step toward Chanyeol, knife pointed.

            “Baekhyun, listen to me.”

            “You will pay.”

            “Baekhyun, please, put it away.”

            “Just hold still and this won’t take long.” He stepped closer.

            “Will you listen to me?” he pleaded.

            “No.” He took another step.

            Chanyeol sighed dejectedly.

            “Then I have no choice.” Chanyeol stood, cold and motionless. Baekhyun was at just two arm lengths away, knife still pointed.

            “You’re not going to fight or run?” Baekhyun asked.

            Chanyeol made no reaction.

            “Good.” Baekhyun jumped forward and slashed.

            Chanyeol skipped backwards and avoided it. He swiftly grabbed Baekhyun’s knife-wielding wrist and twisted it. Baekhyun let out a yelp of pain as the knife dropped from his hand. Chanyeol pushed Baekhyun with a from his other hand. Baekhyun fell on his back, and Chanyeol landed on top of him. He grabbed both of Baekhyun’s thin wrists and held them firmly in one of his own larger hands. As Baekhyun struggled to get free, Chanyeol used his other hand to take off his own belt.

            “What are you doing?” Baekhyun said, panting.

            “You never were good at fighting me,” Chanyeol answered.

            He let go of Baekhyun’s wrists and held the ends of the thin, dark black belt in each hand. Baekhyun noticed the knife on the floor, just barely within reach. As he reached for it, Chanyeol slipped the belt behind Baekhyun’s head so that it rested on the back of his neck.

            “What are you doing?!” Baekhyun screamed in shock.

            “I do this only because I love you!” Chanyeol said. He wrapped the belt around Baekhyun’s neck and pulled the ends as tight as his heart would allow. Baekhyun’s hand had just grasped the knife, and he made a frantic swipe at Chanyeol. The razor side cut a long gash on his left arm. Chanyeol gasped in pain but held on as tightly as he could. Baekhyun dropped the knife back on the floor and tried to loosen the belt around his neck with both hands. But Chanyeol was too strong. Frantically, Baekhyun writhed and thrashed, but he couldn’t free himself. His head felt like it would explode. Chanyeol held until Baekhyun could no longer move out of airlessness and exhaustion. Baekhyun went limp, and he was barely conscious. Then there was a sound at the door.