Our Beginning

A Study in Shinee

 

  I stood there while Mr.Choi rambled away, explaining to me his discovery. I nodded and smiled, pretending I was interested and listening when he would look up at me. He stopped talking and leaned against the table, staring at me.

    "What?" I asked him, a little confused. Could he read my mind or something? Minho just continued to stare at me.

    "You are not listening to me, are you?" Minho asked me, tilting his head a little. I just looked around the room nervously. Okay maybe he could read my mind. I laughed and stopped smiling as Minho continued to stare at me.

    "Oh, um, of course I'm listening. This is quite interesting actually." I managed to say. Minho turned back to his equipment. He began to clean up and write in his notebook log of his progress.

    "So what brings you two here in the first place since you do not care to listen to my story of experimentation?" Mr. Choi asked Kibum and I. Kibum stepped over to the table we were at and smirked at me.

    "Well Mr.Kim  here is looking for lodgings and I had remembered you mentioning that you wanted someone to share rent with you, and so I brought him here to meet you. I figured you two should meet each other before you decided anything." Kibum said to Minho, then looking over at me. I smiled weakly at Minho and hoped he would agree to it. I know Minho probably didn't want to share a place with me as much as I didn't with him, but i needed a place to stay and he probably wouldn't find anyone else that would want to stay with him as strange as Kibum described him to be. Minho looked down at me and smiled.

    "That would be great! I have been looking for someone to help me with the pay for a while and here you come in and need a place to stay! What coincidence, though I don't believe in coincidences." Minho  said as he made his way out of the room, expecting us to follow. Kibum and I looked at one another as we hastily made our way out of the Lab and onto the streets in order to not loose the Mr. Choi Minho. Minho seemed to be a fast walker, seeming to think we could walk as fast as he did. He turned around once he realized his friends were no where near him. He waited for a few minutes as Kibum and I finally caught up, though we were slightly out of breath.

    "You do not go out often?" Minho asked us. I was panting but i caught my breath.

    "All the time but I have never had to walk at that rate!" I said to Mr.Choi. Kibum just nodded in agreement with me, panting also. Minho seemed to laugh at us but turned back around and continued on through the streets. He seemed to slow down a bit for us to be able to stroll beside him but briskly. 

 We finally came to what seemed like an apartment building on street with the name of Myeong-dong Street. The brick building seemed to consist of three levels. One level for the owner of the building, one for us, and the other for some other individual. The door was made of a fine wood and was painted a dark blue with the numbers 221 printed in white paint on the front. Minho made his way up the four steps and turned the knob. The door opened easily and we stepped into the a nicely furnished building. An elderly lady was sitting in a creaky rocking chair knitting away at a lightly colored scarf.

    "Annyeonghasayeo Ms. Mi-sook." Minho said to the lady as he bowed slightly. The lady looked up at us as Minho spoke. She smiled warmly and placed her work in a basket beside her chair. She stood up and bowed in return to Minho and us.

    "Hello again Minho, I knew you would be back for that flat." Mi-sook said, then looked over Minho's shoulder at Kibum and I. "But who are your friends?" Minho smiled and looked back at us.

    "That one there is going to be staying with me." Minho said pointing to me. A look of confusion and misunderstanding clouded her eyes as she looked at me then back at Minho.