Dr. Kim Jonghyun

A Study in Shinee

    In the year of 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of Seoul. I was to be put through a course i needed to take in order to be a surgeon in the army. After completing my studies I was put to be an assistant surgeon in a base stationed in India, but before I could go the Afgan War broke out. I was then sent there to serve instead.I worked hard at my new duties but was soon removed from my brigade and stationed to another group with whom I served at the fatlle battle of Maiwand.There I was shot in the sholder which shattered the bone and grazed a main atrery. I was rescued by one of the soldiers who broght me back to base. I was brought to the hospitol along with many other wounded soldiers in a train to a safe nearby town. After a few day I began to heal and even walk around a bit, until I was hit by enteric fever. The medical board didn't waste another day in sending me home, seeing the state I was in.

     Now I sit here at a bar in Seoul, Korea, my home town. I've asked my friend Kim Kibum to join me for lunch this afternoon. I feel a tap on my sholder and turn around to see that it's him. I smile at him and he pats my sholder, making me wince slighly but he doesn't notice.

"Long time, no see Jonghyun." Kibum says with an animated smile on his lips. "What have you been up to all these years?" he asks, raising an eyebrow. I tell him my story of my past years in the army and his expression becomes a concerned one.  "My, My, you're an unlucky one , but at least you got out alive." he said and laughed. I smile slightly  and look down at my drink in front of me on the bar. "What did you need to talk about?" Kibum asks, taking a seat beside me and orders a drink.

"I'm looking for a cheap place to stay. It's hard to find comfortable lodgings at a resonable price these days." I said, taking a sip of my drink. Kibum just stared at me for a moment.

"It's strange, you're the second man today to come to me with that problem." Kibum said, putting back a stray strand of his black hair. I stared back at him and blinked.

"Really? Who was the first?" I asked him, setting aside my drink. Kibum took his eyes away from me and glanced out a nearby window.

"A man who works at the chemical lab up at the hospital. He was complaining to me this morning becasue he couldn't find anyone to go halves with him on some nice rooms he had found earlier but were too expensive for him alone." Kibum said, looking back at me.

"Really?! If he's looking for someone to share the room and rent with then I'm his man!" I cried joyfully, hoisting my wine glass in the air. Kibum looked uncomfortable and unsure.

"But you don't know Choi Minho sir. I'm not sure you'd want to be around him constantly." Kibum said strangely, narrowing his eyes.

"Why not?" I asked him, tilting my head slightly.

"He conducts odd experiments and his ideas are most...extraordinary.He's an enthusiast in certain branches of science. He's well up in anatomy and he's a first class chemist but he's never taken any systematic medical classes. He knows alot of out-of-the-way knowledge which would astonish his professors... But he's seems like a decent sort of man." Kibum said, standing up and looking down at me with a smirk on his face. "Would you like to meet him?"