Heart to Heart

I Knew You Were Trouble

 

Kai finds Luhan in an abandoned classroom, sitting at its balcony with his legs dangling out the side of the building. They swing, carelessly so, as Luhan stares out into the horizon of buildings, focused on something Jongin can’t identify. But as radiant as they are, the light brown orbs look blank, as though Luhan isn’t really seeing, instead focused on something else entertaining his mind.

The curtains are pushed away carelessly, stuffed into the cupboards on either side of the large French doors so they don’t slip back down. Light streams in solely from that set of open windows, the rest of the classroom left dark, with both its fans and lights switched off.

Luhan’s black hair is windblown and fluffy, and he’s leaning back on one hand, his other hand holding a pair of chopsticks. When Jongin shifts to the side, he sees that Luhan has his lunch on his lap, take away box balanced expertly on his dark cotton clad thighs.

He’s alone.

Kai is curious.

Curious as to why Luhan’s hiding away during lunch, by himself, when he could have been with that full table of footballers… Or maybe, that’s why Luhan is there.

The table’s already full.

Too full, for another person.

As Jongin starts approaching his target, he shrugs. It only makes it easier to achieve his goal.

“Hey Hannie,” Kai greets, casually, as though he’s only just stumbled in on Luhan, when he’s actually been searching half the school grounds for the doe eyed boy.

His walk is smooth, almost predatory, and he doesn’t pause, even when Luhan jumps a little at the sudden greeting.

“Oh,” Luhan’s pale cheeks flush pink, and he bites his lip. His eyes are large and unblinking, following Jongin with curiosity. “Hi, Kai.”

Jongin sits down next to Luhan, sticking his legs out, between the railings, like Luhan, and takes a sip off his banana milk. “So, watcha’ doing?”

Luhan’s pinked lips form into a pout, before he forks a particularly big piece of pork, from the lunch balanced on his lap, into his mouth. “Nothing much, just… eating.”

They sit in silence for a while as the wind blows, gently caressing their faces and making their hair flutter. Although is quiet, the only sound being the rustling of wind through nearby trees, it’s comfortable.

It’s Luhan who breaks the silence, curiosity lacing his tone. “What’s your family like, Kai?”

Jongin’s face contorts a little, more from surprise than unwillingness.

Luhan scrambles to rephrase his question, voice unsure. “Well, you don’t have to answer to that… We only met yesterday, anyway.”

Kai laughs, hard enough for his stomach to ache a little as he bends over, one of his hands clutching at the rails and another resting on his belly. “It’s fine, really. No one’s ever asked me before so it was just… unexpected.”

A light pink blush colours the other boy’s cheeks, and he pushes all the rice to one corner of the take away box, picking at the other ingredients. They sit in silence for a while more, until Kai speaks up.

“I don’t really know where my parents are.” He confesses, running a hand through his dark hair.

Luhan’s mouth forms an O, and when he closes it with a small click, his brows are furrowed. “Oh, I’m sorry… You really don’t have to answer that. I wasn’t thinking when I asked…”

“No, no.” Kai looks back at Luhan from the trees, and flashes him a smile. “It’s actually kind of nice. No one’s really bothered before.” He shrugs, and turns back. “Well, except for maybe Taemin, or Donghae.”

Luhan nods understandingly, chewing on the last of his rice. He swallows. “Well, if it makes you feel any better, I feel that way all the time.”

The chopsticks clatter together quietly as Luhan places them, and his spoon, back onto his bowl neatly. Jongin looks back at the other boy.

“I mean, sometimes I think nobody cares enough to really know me. Those girls that cheer for me during matches, they claim they know me, that they know my address, my birthday, even what my parents do… but really, they don’t see anything past the footballer out on the field.” Luhan shrugs, meeting Jongin in the eyes. “If that makes you feel any better…”

Kai’s lips split into a grin, and a laugh escapes pearly white teeth. “Thanks Han,” He pauses, before mocking, in a slightly lighter tone, “Even though we’ve only met yesterday.”

Its Luhan’s turn to laugh, and Jongin watches him as his eyes shift into crescents, and his lips are pulled tight around his teeth.

He wants to ask. What about Sehun? What about that best friend everyone seemed to believe Luhan was so close to?

Kai looks back at Luhan, whose laughter is subsiding, and decides. No. It’s too early to ask that.

“So, about that project…” Kai rubs the back of his head. “You free after school today?”

Luhan immediately shoots him an apologetic look. “Sorry, I’ve got football till seven…. But we can meet after that if you want?”

“Sure.” Jongin grins. So Sehun doesn’t have that deep of a hold on Luhan… at least not during school hours.

He stands up fluidly, just as the school bell rings for the end lunch period. “I’ll meet you outside the football field at seven-thirty, then? We’ll go for dinner together.”

Luhan seems to remember something important, just as Kai disappears past the door, and he bites his bottom lip.

“…But I’m supposed to walk home with Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Updated yay! :]

Sorry for the long wait, I was REALLY busy, and the writer’s block could kill. It was like, figuratively cement.

Please check out: 油屋 {The Bath House} and 龙皇朝 {Reign of The Dragon Emperor}. Both with Hunhan as main pairing.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

And I CAN’T WAIT for the EXO COMEBACK. I still can’t believe they’re coming back. Like seriously.

Neaga Wolf Keure Wolf AWOOOO, Ah Saranghaeyo~

Sho Shekshi /Sighs/

 

 

Please Comment, Subscribe and Upvote :]