Four

Frozen Affections [MF Challenge]

 

The school hallway was empty. I was once again late for class. I sighed, and walked slowly to my Chemistry class. Mr Yoo still knew what state I was in, and let me in without any lectures. Although I pictured him shouting at me telling me that I had to give up and move on since Doojoon wouldn’t be coming back. However, instead he had just looked at me and without a second glance, continued on teaching the others about formulae. I put my bag down and sat, attempting to pay attention. The class surprisingly went by easily, I understood things and answered questions correctly. I smiled, ‘I’m starting to be happy again. That’s a good sign right?’ I thought, looking to my right. The seat was still un-occupied. I was glad because I didn’t want anyone else to sit there, unless it was Doojoon.

 

When it was break, we were all dismissed. However, Mr Yoo kept me behind again.

 

“I see you’re getting your progress back on. I’m pleased to see you responding to questions in class. I’m happy that you understand what we’re learning lately. It’s good news.” He expressed, smiling at me. He truly seems like a second father to me…

“Thanks sir, I think so to. I’m sorry about being late. I just don’t keep track of time as easily as I used to. I’m glad you understand. However, I think I’m slowly moving on now. I won’t be late again, I’m sure of it.” I promised, glancing back at Doojoon’s desk.

“Glad to know. Well, I guess you’ll be off now to your friends. Have a good break.” Mr Yoo smiled and nodded to the door. I think what he said had a different meaning apart from having a break from lessons. He was telling me to have a good break from Doojoon. Seriously, Mr Yoo seems like an English Literature teacher rather than teaching Physics lessons.

 

Once I had exited, I had been pulled into a hug. I giggled and patted Yoseob’s back. He let go and smiled at me, taking my arm, he escorted me to the canteen for lunch. I laughed at a joke he mentioned, and later got joined by Dongwoon and Kikwang, since our lessons were nearby. When we reached our table, Junhyung and Hyunseung were already there munching on their rice and sushi.

 

I raised my eyebrow and asked them, “where’s my rice?”

Their eyes widened, and panic was obvious, “well… Yoseob said that you weren’t in the mood for rice today.”

I turned to Yoseob, “ANIYO! THOSE GUYS ARE LYING! THEY’RE TRYING TO MAKE ME LOOK BAD IN FRONT OF YOU, DON’T BELIEVE THEM!” Yoseob desperately tried to not make me mad at him.

I giggled, “no… I’m not mad. Just sad that I won’t be having any rice. I guess I’ll just have to go to the long line over there and miss lunch with you…” I sighed and turned around.

“You can have some of mine!” Hyunseung blurted, holding out his plate.

I turned around and grinned, “thanks~” I sat down next to him, and smiled.

 

So lunch went by swimmingly, it was fun with Junhyung and Yoseob bickering and fighting over the chicken leg in the middle until I took it and handed it to Dongwoon who was across me. He thanked me with a salute and bit into the chicken, and you could see the mock sadness in Yoseob’s eyes. I laughed as he turned to pout at me. Shaking my head I stuffed some rice into his mouth.

“Hey that’s mine!” Hyunseung pouted, only to stay quiet when I smiled at him.

 

Yeah, lunch is more fun with my friends around to help…

 

▪▪ One year later ▪▪

 

I smiled at the gravestone with Oppa’s name on. I wiped the snow from the ledge and placed a candle, and two lilies.

 

Touching my ring I opened my mouth, “Oppa, happy anniversary. It’s been a year now. How are you up there? Is it nice? I hope you’re safe and having fun. Will you wait for me up there? When I’m older you might not like me since I’ll have wrinkles.” I giggled, but continued, “I really miss you Oppa. I wish that you were with me here today and that you were by my side. Since I’m a proper adult since two months ago, we could’ve been married. Yeah, I admit it… I wanted to be married to you… but—” I teared up “—how is that likely now?... I really miss you… I hope you come back to me…” I cried, touched the gravestone and traced his name.

 

I felt something wrap around my waist, but I was alone. When I turned around, I saw Doojoon’s face. Crying with laughter, I put my hands on his cheeks. He smiled, and held them.

 

“I thought I told you that when you cry, you’re not pretty…” he murmured, pulling me closer to him.

“Is this a dream?” I tearfully looked up at him, this seemed so real. His hands seemed warm even though the snowflakes had started to fall.

“Oh no, this is as real as it can get. I wanted to visit you and give you the best gift I could ever give you… Hara, I heard you say that you wanted to marry me. So, if possible… would you like to be my wife?” Doojoon asked me.

I tearfully nodded, “Oppa… I love you…” I smiled, as I felt the ring slip through my left finger. It was official – between me and Doojoon – I was now married. I gripped onto his cheeks and pulled him in for a kiss. His cheeks started to get colder, and I heard him sigh.

“This means that I have to go… I’m sorry that I died and that we couldn’t be together, but my dear Hara… never forget me. I would  like for you to move on and be happy… but I see that you’re going to be even sadder. So, as a result, I’ll be watching over you. Making you safe, if harm gets in your way… I’ll be there to fight it off. Your Oppa is strong and I shall do whatever I can to protect you. I saw your conversation with Mr Yoo… are you sure about moving on?”

I tugged closer to him, “honestly…? I’m nowhere near moving on. Not yet, not ever.”

“That’s… slightly relieving…” I chuckled against his chest, but slowly felt him disappear.

“No… not again…” I looked down and my hand, and saw another ring above the one that I had last year. ‘I guess my love for Doojoon will forever be frozen into my heart. Our affections forever will be frozen, along with the winter gusts. I love you Doojoon…’

 

[ E N D ]