Three

Frozen Affections [MF Challenge]

 

One day, I got a letter from the Doctors. On the front it said, ‘Doojoon wanted us to give this to you exactly five months after his death. It was his only wish that we were able to fulfil.’ I widened my eyes. Lately, Doojoon doesn’t cross my mind as often, but it still does. I opened the letter, and saw… around ten sheets of paper. ‘Wow, Doojoon must have had lots of time, and visits to the Doctors for there to be a lot of pages!’ I thought, with a smile.

 

After five to six hours, I had finished reading each page. I smiled, feeling relieved, as if a huge weight on my shoulders had disintegrated. I took the pages, and folded them back into its original folds, and placed it in the envelope, but at the bottom, there appeared to be an object which looked like a necklace. My mouth moved to the side, as I tried to take it out. Success was on my mind, when I finally had it in my hand. It appeared to be a locket. It had the same writing on it, like the ring. On the letter, I understood why the ring felt so special; it was because Doojoon made it himself. Well, by made, I mean chose the design and engraved it himself. Smiling at my newly found necklace, I put in on myself and looked at the mirror. I put the ring and necklace next to each other, by bringing my hand up and placing it next to the necklace dangling from my neck. I smiled, ‘Doojoon, you’re such a romanticist. But, that’s what I love about you…’ I thought.

 

“Honey, time for dinner.” My mom popped her head in, and seeing my necklace smiled in awe, “did Doojoon get that for you?” She asked, I nodded, looking back at the mirror, and smiling. “Well, it’s really beautiful. I think we should go down before your father complains about the food getting cold, neh?” She asked me.

I turned to her, eyes slightly wet, and gave her a big hug. “Umma, I love you!” I don’t know what made me say it, maybe because I realized life was short…

My mom who seemed shocked of my action stuttered, “I-I love you too. Honey, what’s the reason for this? I already know that you love me.”

 I stopped hugging her and looked at her, “because sometimes I just forget to say it often that I may eventually forget about loving you.” I murmured, smiling.

She smiled and hugged me, “that Doojoon must’ve taught you so much that I as a mother could not. I’m lucky he was in your life…” she said against my hair. ‘Yeah, I’m lucky to have had him as well…’ I thought.

 

I walked downstairs, towards the dining room and ate my dinner in silence. My parents too were in deep thought. I guess they were thinking about what to do next to help improve our company… I excused myself, feeling uncomfortable with the silence and walked to my room. ‘Huh, if Doojoon was here, he would’ve changed that dinner into something more entertaining! I miss you oppa…’ I thought, taking five seconds for each step. As soon as I got into my room, I didn’t know what to do. Not feeling like doing any homework, I decided to just lie down and relax…

 

Slowly, I made my way towards the centre of the park. I stared at the empty swing, memories rushing through my mind. It was a late winter night, and I was alone. A gust of wind suddenly blew past me, my hair flowing in mid air gracefully. I hugged myself tightly and rubbed my arms, hoping that it'll make me warm.

 

"It's cold," I said softly, on the urge of tears.

 

Out of no where, a pair of large and strong arms wrapped around me from behind tightly. I lost my breath for a second and panicked. Slowly, I calmed down, realizing the familiar scent that I'll always remember deeply.

 

"I'm here," he whispered into my ear and buried his face between her neck and hair.

“I know you are oppa. You’ll always be here with me… keeping me warm.” I whispered, putting my hands above his arms.

“You know, it’s time to move on…” Doojoon said to me… I sighed and turned around. I stared into his eyes, those loving eyes that I missed.

“I don’t want to move on just yet oppa. You’re the one that I love, why must I move on?” I asked, gripping onto his arm, for fear of him disappearing from my sight. I didn’t want him to leave me. Wherever and whatever I was in, I didn’t want to leave.

“Okay, I understand. Losing me is painful, but seeing you down here… hurt… it hurts me. How am I to rest in peace if my beautiful girlfriend is in pain? I don’t want to see you hurt Hara. I care for you too much. I love you too much, so please… don’t make yourself be in pain anymore. Let me go, so that our souls can be free. Besides, if Fate will have it, we shall meet again in the next world. I’m already happy here. In fact, I was talking to my ancestors. Apparently, previously in our past lives, we too were lovers. It was a happy ending. I guess this is the alternate… Please, don’t cry for me. I’m happy where I am, sure, I miss holding you in my arms, but…”

“Shh, oppa. I understand what you’re trying to say. Yes, no matter what oppa, I’ll be waiting for the day until we meet again. Don’t forget me oppa…” I said, wiping my tears.

“Hey hey. Don’t cry now. I don’t like your face when you cry. It’s not pretty when you cry.” I shoved his shoulder, pouting and he chuckled, “well, I have something to show you…” he lifted his left hand, and on his wedding finger, was a replica of the ring I wore on mine. I smiled, as I put our hands together, side by side. They seemed like a perfect match… “You’re always with me, no matter what…” Doojoon looking upward and sighed, “I guess I’ll be going now…”

Panic rushed through me, and I pulled him towards me, into a hug. “Oppa, please… I don’t want you to leave me… oppa…” I cried, until what I was hugging was air. I looked around me, there was absolutely nothing. The swing had long gone, and it felt colder than ever. I couldn't believe it. My oppa just left... "DOOJOON OPPA!" I shouted, and kneeled. I shivered, it was getting cold plus what I had been kneeling on was hard and rigid, not comfortable for someone in a skirt... The warmth and love from Doojoon was no longer here… My love, he had just disappeared into the air, the air which was blowing against my cheeks so harshly, that I felt my lips crack. them, I tried to stand up. It was getting windier. Never had I experienced winds to this extent. I blinked, my eyes were salty, and dry from the wind. From the park where me and Doojoon had our first date, to a frozen wasteland… where am I? Where is Doojoon oppa?!...

 

“ANDWAE!” I sat up… it was just a dream? I looked around me, and found that I was in my room. So… I didn’t really see Doojoon for real? But, I hugged him… I felt his touch. A touch which I’d been aching for…

“What happened?!” My mom rushed in with a bat, my dad… he had a newspaper in his hand. Must be the morning already…

“Ahh, just a nightmare umma. Don’t worry, go back to doing your thing. I’m fine, I’ll just calm myself down before joining you…” Whatever that was it definitely was nothing close to a nightmare. I was happy there with my Doojoon. However, I just had to wake up, and he just had to disappear from my grasp again.

 

After preparing myself, I walked down the steps slowly and received greetings from both my parents. I smiled at them half-heartedly. They still didn’t know what I had dreamt about. It’s better that way, because then, they won’t worry about me. They’ll think that I wouldn’t have moved on and that I’m not strong, they won’t trust me enough. I don’t want that. So… maybe that wasn’t a dream, but a visit from Doojoon himself, telling me that I should move on… maybe I should…