Sixteen [SPECIAL]

Safe and Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

SURPRISE!

See, we told you that staying subscribed would be a good thing! Sometimes we get random feels for our old au!s and decide to write random epilogues haha. We just wanted to tie up some loose ends and answer some questions. Kamisama and I have an announcement before we start:

2. We have teamed up together to bring you another action-romance fic! The title is Runner Runner, so go check it out ~

 

 

 

 

Sixteen

 

District one looked greatly different from what I remembered it to be when I woke up from my coma. Entire buildings that used to loom over the city had been flattened, destroyed in the what was now being called the Revolution. In the few weeks that I'd been out, new buildings had sprung up in its place, some even more glorious than before. We were called national heroes for the part we played, even called leaders of the revolution, held in awe for our abilities. The guys were like superstars, worldwide celebrities, and got special treatment everywhere they went.  

I, of course, experienced nothing but a terrible headache. 

During the weeks that I had been unconscious, I had lost a lot of weight. They fed me using a IV drop, but it just wasn't enough. The first time the doctors gave me food after I woke up, I only kept it down for twenty minutes before throwing it back up all over Jongin's sneakers. 

"I don't want to eat," I groaned, curling back up on my head. "It hurts my stomach."

"We'll start slower," Dr. Lee said, patting me on the back and handing me water. "We'll build up, but you've gotta eat, Min."

"Maybe something more easily digestible would be a better start," Yixing agreed, “Like soup.”

Suddenly, Sehun's head popped into the room. "Does anyone need anything from home?" he asked. "Jongin just popped back to get a new pair of shoes."

"Tell him not to come back," I snapped out of habit. 

Sehun just rolled him eyes at me. "You don't really mean that, Min," he sighed. 

Waking up to Jongin's changed affections was very strange. According to Yixing, Jongin had been by my bedside almost as much as Moonkyu in the weeks that I had been unconscious. 

"He seems to really like you, Min," Yixing said gently. "Maybe his feelings have changed."

"Or maybe he's just feeling guilty," I muttered. 

It took another week for me to get strong enough to stand and walk again. During that like, Jongin lurked outside my room a lot since I tended to snap at him every time he came in.  I asked Moonkyu how he felt about the whole Jongin thing but he just kind of shrugged. That was generally a positive responsive, since he had nothing nasty to say. It wasn't that I hate Jongin or anything. I wasn't even angry, or resentful. I guess I was just...tired, tired of games and of not knowing where I stood. 

 

 

First thing first, there was a lot of problems to undo. Dr. Lee gathered all the family members of the District One boys and Moonkyu and I slowly started to fix their memories. It was hard, slow work, even for the two of us to work together. It left us both mentally drained at the end of each day, desperate to spent some time with doctor-in-training Yixing, who made us feel better with just his presence. 

There were to be elections in each of the Districts very soon, and then elections overall for a President and new government. Dr. Lee was very much involved in the planning of these events, and we rarely saw him around anymore around the house. Instead, Suho took charge of us, making sure we were all recovering well and eating well. Unfortunately, there was nothing he could do to ensure that I was sleeping well. 

I had nightmares constantly, of falling cinderblocks and collapsing buildings, of my friends and my brother getting hurt, and of myself, lying lifeless with vacant eyes. 

"It'll go away soon," Jongdae told me softly, when I confided in him about it. "We all had them at first. Baekhyun's were so bad that he refused to sleep alone for a whole month. It gets better."

One night, I had an extremely unpleasant dream in which I was back in that horrible cell in District Four. I was alone this time, and no matter how hard I screamed and yelled, no one came to save me. Through my half awake daze, I felt someone holding my hand. When I opened my eyes to a sliver to look, I saw that it was Jongin who was holding my hand, sitting at my bedside with his head bowed. My finger twitched subconsciously and Jongin's head snapped up, finally noticing that I was awake.  

"Oh, Min," he said, sounding nervous at getting caught in my room. He didn't get go of my hand.

"What are you doing here?" I asked flatly.

"I heard you...last night, having nightmare and I just..." he trailed off, unsure of what to say.  

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter