Chapter Three

Mirror Mirror

*Chapter 3*

Okay, so things were going perfectly. I'd even managed to turn my crush into a great friendship... at least I thought. Hyuna liked to joke and play around with her unnies, and now I was a willing victim. Out of everyone, we were definitely closest. Though, me and Gayoon started to spend a lot of time together too~ she was very chatty and easy to get a long with, but in a different way to Hyuna. Jihyun was always busy doing other stuff, to do with her acting classes and Sohyun was a little younger than us so she was always busy doing maknae stuff, so it was mainly us three who spent the most time together.

Me, Gayoon and Hyuna were at Gayoon's house, trying to study together. We weren't doing very good at it though, since Gayoon seemed more giggly than usual. Me and her were sat on her bed, while Hyuna had been laying on the floor.

"Appa's concentration face is so funny," Gayoon randomly commented, chewing on a pen, "you can tell you're trying too hard."

I giggled, suddenly self concious of how I looked when I was trying to work out these mathematical problems. "Stop distracting me~" I said, covering my face with the book I'd been reading from. She tried to pull it out of the way, but I dodged her. We ended up having a mini-wrestle, with Gayoon almost being on top of me. I didn't realise what we were doing at the time. Not until Hyuna exaderated a sigh.

"Stop playing around!" She whined, throwing her book at us, "we've got work to do..."

Gayoon just erupted into even heavier laughter, "Since when have you ever wanted to study?" she retorted, throwing the book back.

"So what, I can't decide to want to try hard?" she snapped back. I remained silent, not sure what was happening. I'd never seen Hyuna annoyed before, she always seemed so happy, bright and innocent.

"Aish~ what is wrong with you?" Gayoon asked, climbing away from me and heading towards her bedroom door, "I'll go get ice-cream, will that cheer you up?"

She nodded, but it was sort of unconvincing and lacked her usual enthusiasm. Once Gayoon had left the room, I asked "Noona, are you sure you're okay?"

She shot me a pained expression, "Unnie... we need to stop saying that."

I realised something was wrong when she called me unnie. Ever since a few weeks ago, when Krystal had pushed her over, she'd called me oppa when we were alone. I called her my noona. I liked feeling like I was strong and protected her, I was a tomboy afterall. When the others were around though, she'd call me appa. She never called me unnie.

"I don't mind," I admitted, smiling warmly, I'd even reached over the bed so that I could touch her hand. She moved it away quickly though. Even stranger for her. She liked skinship, especially with me. At least, I'd assumed she did.

"Ahh~" she shyed away from me completely, her cheeks brushed a bright pink colour, deeper than any of the other times, "you aren't my oppa, you're my unnie..." she dared to give me a few seconds of eye-contact, her eyes were glazed over and it looked like she was going to cry. I didn't want to be the reason why she was upset. "I wish you were--"

"Chocolate good?" Gayoon interupted our moment by arriving with a small tub of chocolate ice-cream.

Hyuna gave me a quick smile before turning her attention back towards Gayoon, "I'm sorry for being moody, unnie," she whispered, giving Gayoon a big hug. Gayoon's eyebrows rose with surprise, probably completely unaware as to what was happening. Even I had no idea, and I had a feeling I was the reason for whatever it was.

"Omo stop hugging so I can have ice-cream!" I shouted, wrapping my arms around them for a group hug. I felt like I was about to pass out from how hot my head felt, realising mine and Hyuna's face were literally inches apart as Gayoon pulled us in further. She was slightly taller than us, so I don't think she realised. It wasn't just our faces being so close that sent my heart rate racing, it was her breath on my skin. I could her rapid breathing, sending shocks down my spine.

We ended up watching one of Gayoon's romance films while eating the chocolcate ice-cream, so by the time it had finished it was starting to get dark outside. Deciding it was better to head home now before it got really cold, me and Hyuna made our way home. We lived close to each other, so we'd often be the last two walking home from school and things. It was always my favourite part of the day, learning new things about her all of the time.

"Love is always so complicated," Hyuna spoke almost randomly, emphasising a frustrated sigh. She was playing with the zip on her jacket, not really paying much attention to me. It'd been awkward walking home, since it'd almost completely fallen silent. "I wish it was just simple for me~"

I wondered if she was crushing on one of the popular guys at school, maybe she was jealous that I knew them, since I'd still maintained a relationship with them. "It is simple," I told her, "if you like someone, you should tell them. It's never as complicated as in dramas or films."

She stopped walking for a few moments and glared at me, "You have no idea how I feel," she grabbed my arm to stop me with her, "so don't tell me what I'm going through is simple."

I could see tears forming in her eyes, she was about to cry. I didn't want to see her like this, it hurt me more than she'd ever guess. I just grabbed her and pulled her into my arms, into a tight hug. I ran my fingers through her soft hair, as I begun to hear her quiet sniffles from crying.

"Whatever it is, you can tell me, noona," I whispered into her ear, "you're probably making someone feel exactly how you are right now," I giggled, bittersweet. I was locking away how I felt, I knew I had to be strong... a good friend.

"Can we go to the park near here?" she asked, still hiding her head in my arms though.

I nodded, "Sure," I agreed, "but we should hurry since it'll get dark in about half an hour." I added, noticing a chill to the evening's air.

She removed her head from my arms and smiled at me briefly, rubbing her eyes of the tears for a few moments. I cupped my hand under her chin and made her look up to me, "Thank you," she rasped.

"Okay let's go~" I shouted with my powerful aegyo, causing her to burst out laughing and gently hit my arm.

We arrived at the park after just a few minutes more of walking down the street path. It was a small place next to a river, with many trees and lots of fresh summer plants. It all looked beautiful at this time of the season, and it was quiet, only a few people were still around. It seemed surprisingly warmer here, with the last of the sun getting caught in the large grassy field.

I bought her a coffee on the way, so we walked round drinking the warm liquid while admiring the sights silently. I felt like there was more on Hyuna's mind though, and she was waiting for a good moment to finally tell me. I guess there never seems to be a good moment if it's serious stuff you want to discuss with the other person. I knew too well. There was so much I needed to admit.

"Noona..." I almost mumbled, "you know, what I said before, about telling me anything, I mean it. As stupid as it sounds, you're my best friend already. I mean, I've never felt like this before." I admitted, though part of me had wanted to just tell her the whole truth.

She closed her eyes again, obviously pushing back tears, "Unnie, please stop saying the right thing~"

I giggled and pushed her into a hug again, "What do you mean?" I asked, "and stop calling me unnie, I'm your oppa remember?"

She opened her eyes again, stood just inches away from me. Our faces were almost as close as they'd been back in the group hug, but this time she was staring at me with more confidence. I could tell she wanted to look away, but she was fighting it and she was giving me eye-contact. It was making me nervous.

"This is the problem, I wish you were," she admitted. I couldn't keep my barrier up any more. I had to get distance between us, because my insides felt like they were about to surface. I forced myself to giggle, but I think I probably sounded more like I was having a panic attack. "You'd be be a perfect boyfriend~" I turned my back to her and walked slightly towards the nearby benches near us, but I could hear her following behind me quickly.

"Ah~" was all I could manage to say.

"See!" Hyuna whined, "this is why it's so complicated. I knew this would happen."

She probably thought I was freaked out, or that I was affraid of whatever she felt for me. I wasn't affraid of that. I was just frightened in general. I didn't know what she meant - did she mean she liked me, or did she just mean I was cool and she wanted to find a boyfriend as good a friend as I was.

I could hear her sniffling again. I decided it was better to be honest with her... kind of... "If you want me to be your oppa, I'll be your oppa," I told her.

She smiled brightly again, deciding to cover up with her hands because she always got paranoid when she was genuinely happy. She thought she had a dorky smile, but it was perfect. It was my favourite thing about Kim Hyuna - though there were many things I loved.

"Omo it's getting cold, should we head home now?" she asked, forcing her hand into mine. I smiled and nodded, even though I didn't really want to her to go.

"Aish, I almost forgot~" I shouted almost, "this Saturday is Hyunseung oppa's birthday party, are you going?" I asked.

She shook her head, "I don't know him well," she answered, "am I even invited?"

I giggled, "You are, if I ask you to come with me," I grabbed her hand tighter, anticipating her answers.

"Ah~ then my answers is of course yes," she giggled as she answered, blushing slightly, "it's a date!"