Wrong Side

Perfect

Wrong Side

Part 2

 

My heart rate has gradually subsided, but now I have a bad throbbing headache and sore throat. I’m standing in the middle of Seoul with a speaker that I picked out from the side of a road and I’ve been screaming my lung out for somebody other than me and Minho, my new friend.

“Bloody hell you people! I give you one billion won – no, five billion if you get your lazy big fat here right now. Come on s. Who’s stupid enough not to take my bargain? I do have that money you cow . So just come down here and explain to me what the f**k happened to the world right now.”

I stop to catch my breath. Minho, who disappeared before, calmly walks beside me while eating a cotton candy and grabbing a bucket of popcorn on his other arm.

“This is madness.” I finally gave up as I slammed my on the side of the road. “Are we really alone in this world tonight or we’re left alone? Maybe they were evacuated to a Jeju Island because of some leaking gas or air-borne diseases that turns people into zombies.”

“Relax.” He said, shoving the popcorn into her face, “Want some?”

I snort, “Where did you get this?”

“From a stall two blocks from here. The popcorn is popping out from it. And no –” he quickly continues as he saw my hopeful expression, “there’s no one there.”

“Are you sure? We can go back there and check again.”

“I’m one hundred per cent sure. I’ve searched everywhere but there’s nothing to be found. Not a single living thing. Not even dead person or zombies. Just an abandoned stalls and shops.”

My eyes well up in tears and he saw it.

“Hey, look on the bright side –”

“There’s no bright side Minho, we’re trapped in only God knows what world it is. I’m frightfully tired. I wanna go home and sleep. I have work tomorrow.” I whined like a child.

“If the time froze, there’s no tomorrow and you don’t have to work.”

I glare at him. Wrong thing to say.

“That’s even worse. No tomorrow means I cannot progress normally. We’ll be like Peter Pan in an adult version forever.” I hissed.

“Well at least we’re not aging and have wrinkles.”

I put a deathly gaze on him again. Another wrong thing to say.

He nonchalantly smiles and gently put his palm around her wrist, “Come.” He asked, “Let’s go.”

“Where?” I cried, “We’ve been searching all parts in the city. It’s no use. We are doomed!”

“Oh don’t be too pessimist. Just come with me.”

His eyes were so huge, full of enthusiasm, when he offered his hand to her. I couldn’t say no to him. He looks so handsome that I would probably think he is an angel trying to save me from this nightmare.

“Alright!” I accepted.

We walks along the long endless road turn right on a red building and strode across a field until finally we arrive at a dark, soundless, scary alley. I grimace.

“You brought me here to see an alley…full of snow?”

He chuckles as he walks to a wall and searches for something. I wait patiently and my patience was granted by God. Suddenly the dark alley is full of light. The tree was decorated with Christmas-like light and beside the road they were standing there are terraces of shops all the way down to the end. I remember this place. This is the heaven for woman. This is the Myeong Dong market…and it is empty.

“Is this for me?” I squealed happily.

“I know you would like it.” He smiled, “Go on. You can take whatever you want. It is on me.”

“Haha. You liar. You don’t have to pay a single penny for it.” I said while running towards a boot in a Jimmy Choo store nearby. “Because there’s no one in here to begin with!” I shrieked, now, happily.

His baritone laugh echoed around the empty street as he saw me running and grabbing anything that I like that are clustered inside the shops and department stores.

“Boy, women are easy to please.”

“I heard that, you punkass!”

 

*****

 

“What are we going to do next?”

I yelled from distant. We’re now in the middle of the ice rink, trying to be the next Kim Yuna (our national figure skater) while munching the rice cakes that we borrow (literally since the owner wasn’t there) and also some delicious hot dogs.

“I think I want to go for a Europe tour.” He suggested blankly. “Italy. Paris. Amsterdam. Bruges. Probably sit by the beach, doing some surf and hang out with some hot chic.”

“Unless you know how to flight an aeroplane and found some chicken that willingly gave their chick to you, I think you will have to stick with the idea of dying gracefully with me here in Korea. At least I am here to bury you if anything happen.”

He chortles sadistically, “You have such a rigid thinking. If we are frozen in this world, by all mean, we had all the time in the world to learn how to fly the airplane and after that you just need to wear a red hot bikini and boom…I got my hot chic.” He teased.

I ball up a stony snow and throw right at his head.

“You, .” I smirked, “I’ll never go anywhere with you.”

“Oh really?” he throw a challenging look at me, “If I’m not mistaken you just said that we’ll have to stick together…till death do us apart.” He mocked.

I grimace at his theatrical act. “Whatever.” I roll my eyes, “I’m not going to wear bikini. Not in a million years.”

Tired, I set myself to the bench where we put our shoes and sit. When he saw me, he glides through the ice and join me changing.

“Not in the mood of skating anymore?” he asked while putting on his Bally’s boot (eventually he went to pick some of the men’s stuff on the shops himself)

I gently shake my head. “Bored.” I simply replied.

“I know.” He sighed, “I’m bored too.”

I stare through the Myeong Dong’s street and couldn’t help to think how different it was when it is crowded with people. It would have been such a noisy, dirty and chaos place. But as it loses its occupants (except for me and Minho now), that place become one of the most endearing place I had ever been.

“It’s a beautiful place, isn’t it?”

I nod agreeably. “It is.” I whispered.

“I used to hate this place during a celebration.” He began. “It will become like a zoo full of chimpanzees when people start to crowd it. People yelling at each other, dogs barking and babies crying, it is so loud and noisy, especially during the eve. If it was Christmas, there are not a lot of people in the city since everybody went back home to celebrate it with family.” Minho chuckles at a thought, “And a few years ago, exactly during the New Year’s Eve, I was nearly hit by a car here.”

I frown, “What happened?”

“Nothing much. I was walking down the busy street during that night, some woman probably saw her boyfriend and ran through me. I stumbled and fell down the street. Luckily the driver saw me and managed to stop an inch before it hit my nose.”

I grimace. “Woah, what a traumatic tragedy. No wonder you didn’t celebrate a New Year’s Eve.”

He nods, “I took my prayer very seriously ever since. I beg to God to avoid me from any running woman.”

I laugh heartily.

“And also last year, my brother succeeded in dragging me into some church down this street. So, I swear in front of God that I would never want to celebrate New Year’s Eve. I hope I would never have to.”

“I promise myself to stop the New Year’s Eve this year,” My laugh seem to never cease, “I gave out letters to the government and send some petition but they never replied back.”

He then put his hand on his chin with an Albert Einstein’s look on his face, “Out of curiosity, how many people signed that petition?”

“Five.” I smiled. “But all of us are eligible voters, so we had every right to appeal our thoughts to them and they should listen to us.” I explained enthusiastically.

He bursts out laughing. A smile of contagion drifting across my face, seeing how much he realizes the stupidity and absurdity the action was.

“Phewh…it’s really refreshing!” he heaved a relief sigh after a few minutes later, his laughter was still remaining. “I haven’t had a laugh like this for a while.”

I snort, “Boy, you must be an anti-social.”

“I am…this few years.” He admitted carefully, “I had a lot of things to do.”

By the look of his dejected expression, I conclude that he must have some marital issues and that’s the reason why I didn’t want to provoke him any further. He seems too young to be involved in marital problems. I feel sorry for him. But then again it is his choice. He maybe love her so much.

“It’s good that I have something to laugh on this year though. You were making a good job in keeping me revitalized.”

I raise my eyebrow and held my chin up high before I bow my head, “Well, it’s an honour, Mr Choi Minho.” I suddenly widened my eyes on a thought, I quickly grab his wrist, “Minho – Minho – Minho!” I called him excitedly, “I have this ANYEL gathering every New Year’s Eve. You can join us…you know, just to help you get through the next year.” Or your marriage?

“ANYEL?”

“Yeah. Anti-New Year’s Eve League.”

He’s amused, “Ah, I see.”

“We usually gather around and have some pizzas. My friend Sooyoung will put out some of her sound proof device around the room so that we don’t have to hear any sign of celebration outside. And we will have fun together. Playing games, talking about some gossips, watch some crap movies and –”

“Sounds like something that a group of girl without boyfriend would’ve done in Valentine’s Day.” He tittered.

“Hey!” I crossed my arms defensively and face his gigantic shining pearl eyes, “We’re not that pathetic.”

He holds his palms out instantly, “I never meant that. I’m just saying that your activities seem a little bit…girly. Not something that I used to do at a party.”

“It’s not a party, it’s a gathering!” I sulked but then change my mind, melted by the innocence of a child in his eyes, “Well if it ever changes your mind, there is one guy in our league.”

He suppresses a snort, “Is he gay?”

“He was…up till a few hours ago.” I sigh in embarrassment, “He left the league to enjoy the eve with his girlfriend, one of our league members too. And my sister is one of member in the league…but she left it for her new boyfriend. Which only left me and Sooyoung.”

“Owh…you must feel bad.”

I nod grimly, “But he sounds happy. And my sister too. Happier than they were with us.”

He was alarmed by the sound of my dejected voice; he tilts his head a little bit to see if I was crying but I was not. I was staring at the snow, feeling lost.

“I’ll join you.”

I jerk up, “Huh?”

“I’ll join the gathering –” his face is earnest, “provided that we get out from this frozen world before it is the New Year.”

I grin like some child I was. I look into his genuine eyes and instantaneously, I feel sparkling. There are thousands of stars around me that are making me feel warm and glimmering. I wonder if it’s because he agreed to join the league or because of something different…perhaps a hint to show that my oxytocin (and a little bit of oestrogen) is high? I mean really high right now.

“Hey, you have something.” He suddenly said as he pinpointed on the edge of his lips.

Embarrassed, I brush off the entire area of my chin. “Here?”

“No, it’s here.” He showed the place again on his face, “It is the rice cakes’ gravy, I think.”

Sigh of impatience come out through my nostrils, “Here?” I asked again, nearly punching my chin as I aggressively tried to whack off the smudge.

He smiles, “Here, let me do it.”

The wide-eyed guy leans forward to reach my face. When his thumb began to touch my skin, that instant, I start to waver. There are seconds in which we stare at each other eyes. And slowly…gently, he bends towards me.

“Minho…” I whispered, wanting for him to stop what he’s doing at the moment but my cheeks are turning crimson and he’s looking at me with such hypnotic expression that I can’t understand. It seems like he is attracted to me like he was when he saw my promiscuous attire before, but then there’s something different with his eyes.

He was glowing just like I do.

I’m speechless, breathless and hopeless, all at the same time. I’d fallen head over heels for this man. And he didn’t have to try hard like other man did. He just needs to reach my lips now and everything is going to be end. My wall to man will be broken.

And there he goes, his mouth lands on mine, soft but passionate.

His palm warms around my jaw whilst his other arm creeps around my waist and slowly invites me towards him. Amazingly but not surprisingly, I find myself grabbing his shirt, asking for more.

An eternity later, I pull away from him. I want to continue endlessly but heck, I need to breathe. I should’ve been practising my breathing technique for this. I heard him muffles a chortle as I rest on his chest. I look up. Minho was silently laughing at my lack of skills. What a grave mistake. I yank him down to my lips again. There’s nothing that can beat me. Not this . No way.

And I win.

His body suddenly goes rigid. Every cell in his muscle is taut, hardening against me. Hell yeah. His response was violent. Not that I want to complaint, I actually like it. This is the first time a man was groping my body, entangling my winter coat and I actually love it (and did the same to him).

Out of the warmth that I share with him, I can feel a coldness coming from a finger on his left hand. The wedding rings.

“This is wrong.” I said as I abruptly drew him apart. I pause to catch my breath, “This is wrong, Minho.”

He look at me unbelievingly, “What?”

I point at the shining silver ring on his finger. “You are married. We shouldn’t do this. I’m sorry.” I’m half way tearing up when I said those words.

Minho let his blank gaze fall on his hand and then set out laughing that started low but then explode to something that I considered as hysteria.

“Oh God, Yuri. This is not my ring.” He said as he showed the ring back to her, “This is my friend’s, who is about to get married this weekend. I’m his best man and he asked me to take of this – this little thing even though he knew I’m the amnesic one. So I had to wear it so that I won’t forget it.”

There’s a huge surge of relief wave through my body. For a moment there, I thought I can fly.

“You should tell me that sooner.” I squeal happily, jumping into his embrace again. “I almost thought that I’m going to have to strangle your wife to death to get you.”

He gently my hair, “So you love me?”

I playfully punch his chest. “That was supposed to be my question.”

I hear him giggling before he says the magic word.

“Are you silly? I was gripped the first time I saw you pinching your pimple in front of the elevator doors.” He mumbled into her ears, “I adore you from the first sight but I fell in love with you as I spent my frozen time with you.”

I stare at him in disbelief.

“Liar.” I said with a proud smile, “My clown face at that moment wouldn’t have attracted you. You wouldn’t even take a second look at me. Just admit it. You are fascinated with my body when you saw me in the car back then.”

He looks at me, studying my expression, for a moment.

“I have to admit that I like your body. But that was not the one which lured me, Yuri.” He then place a chaste kiss on the corner of her lips, “When the doors was open, the instant I saw the red stain on your lips, I instantly want to kiss you.”

We lock our lips again.

“I love you too.” I replied in a whisper.

I’m floating right now. I couldn’t feel the ground anymore. I’m in love. I, Kwon Yuri, an ANYEL’s member, hated men for their presence (most men), am in love with a guy, a handsome guy to add on top. Oh, Sooyoung is totally going to hate me for this.

Suddenly, we started shaking. I thought it was the so-called opening of the adult activities we’re about to make – but no, this is far too shaky and unstable for us to make out or even talking with each other without stuttering. I hear some glasses breaking inside the shops. The ice rink behind us cracked. I’m petrified.

“Minho, what’s happening?” I asked worriedly. He too, appears to have no clue in this matter.

“I don’t know.”

Far end of the alley I saw gush of white dust rushing towards us. It had drowned the Myeong Dong’s street as it raid along. Gone all the shops. Gone all the beautiful scenery. Only left a horrible disaster that’s running towards us.

“Minho, snow storm!”

He looks at the scene I showed through my wobbly finger. His reaction was instant. We swiftly run and curb to the left with our hands sealed together. His grasp tightened protectively against my hand, and I put my heart with him as we run for our life.

“We’ll hide in the church.” He shrieked and aimed to the old church in Myeong Dong. It was the only place we could see that moment.

The land is still quaking aggressively when we enter the church, a sign that the storm is drawing near. I run ahead, searching for a place to hide and I found a confession room at the corner.

“Minho, come. We hide in there.” I showed him the room.

He was busy with the door, locking it and trying to hold it. “Go and hide there first. I’ll come.”

No he won’t. The storm is only a few steps away.

“Minho, don’t be stupid. We need to hide now.” I run back towards him and grab his arms.

“Yuri, listen to me! Just go and hide. I’ll need to guard the door.”

“Who do you think you are? A hulk?” I yell at him impatiently, “A snow storm can powered up to seventeen million watt –” yeah, I made that up. “You won’t stand a chance against it. You will –”

He desperately kissed me to stop me from nagging him. I was so furious that tears are coming down in vain.

“Now go!” he pushed me. How dare him!

“No!” I rebelled. “I want to stay with you.”

“Yuri, just listen to me. I’m going to – oh, !”

The heavy oak door thumped like it had been hit by a bus. Minho struggle to prevent the door from open. I try to help him.

“Yuri, go!” he screamed in anger.

I shake my head, “No way.” I smile at him in tears, “If you’re thinking of making another ‘Titanic’ movie, then you are very wrong. I won’t let it be. You are at being a hopelessly romantic hero.”

He twitches but then smiles eventually.

“Are we going to be in Die Hard 5 then?” he shouted.

I chuckle, even at the brim of our death.

“Yup. That’s probably it.”

“Good.” He said. It is hard to maintain the lock now. He stares at me lovingly, “Then you have to wear bikini.”

I look into his eyes, teary but happy, and mouthed, “I don’t mind as long as it is with you.”

He gave a few nods and smile happily for the last time.

“It is time.” He whispered loud enough for me to hear.

I approve his decision. We can’t hold on any longer. Both of us were awfully tired.

On a split second, Minho loses his grip and leapt towards me. I shut my eyes close as I felt his body thud against me. We both felt on the ground. His hand was at back of my head, preventing it from being knocked off by the hard marble behind me. His other hand wrapped around me protectively. And me. I hurl inside his firm embrace. It was not smelly or sweaty like I thought so. I feel safe…I feel heaven.

I hear the door bursts open. We’re extremely shaken by the storm. I could feel that we’re drifting apart by the wind. But he holds strong, making sure that I will not be left alone. I love him more because of this. And more than that, I felt sorry for him. I didn’t feel any harm or coldness from the snow since he shields it from me. But I saw his expression intense as he endures the prickling pain of the cold snow. And from time to time, he groaned when something viciously hit his back.

“I’m sorry.” I cried.

He couldn’t bring himself to say something to comfort me. I didn’t expect it. He’s in pain and all that I can think of at that time is praying. Praying that it will end soon. Praying that he’s safe.

The storm lasts for almost ten minutes and it’s finally over. Everything is quiet now. The only sound is our heavy pants and plummeting heart beats. It’s done. We’re safe.

“Minho?”

He jerks up and meets my eyes.

“Are you alright?” was the first thing he asked her after the turmoil.

What the heck?

After all, he was the one who was hit by rocks or woods or glasses and suffers the freezing ice all by himself whilst I was trembling under him like some good-for-nothing damsel in distress, and he asked me if I was okay?

It’s love. It has to be love.

“I love you so much.”

I cling onto his neck and plant the best gift that I could offer at that moment – a kiss.

He grins, “Help me God because I love this angel.” His lips never left hers.

Our kiss is more brief than usual. It was interrupted by loud voices coming from the end of the church. To ease our curiosity, we stand up, aiming to search for the noises, hoping there is some human being left in here. I look up to him when he’s trying to help me to get up and simultaneously shock to see him. He was already clad in loose white plain shirt, half , with black trousers, looking like the 80’s young duke who was to about to embark on a ship.

“Minho, your clothes?” I nearly shrieked.

He stares at himself and surprised to see it. He wanted to say something but stop cold and point his finger back at her.

“Yuri,” he called, “Yours too!”

When he shows it to me, then I realize. I was wearing a white robe, exposing the side of my arms and my legs. I look ier. But what the hell am I doing in a robe?

“No way, hyung.” I heard his voice like he was talking in a phone.

I jerk my gaze at him but strangely, he was not talking or holding a phone.  I was very sure that it was his voice and apparently he was thinking the same thing too. My eyes quickly search for the voice again.

“You know I hate New Year’s Eve, hyung.” The voice said it again.

Minho scrunches his eyes. It is his voice but he mouth was still stiff.

“I’m not going to celebrate it this year or the year after or the next year or the upcoming year, hyung. Do you understand that? I’ve vowed in front of your God, for Pete’s sake.”

That’s it. It is him.

I didn’t have any clear idea of how this is happening but it is happening and I’m anxious to know how it happens. Minho on the other hand had gone blank with shock. I began to scramble between the heavy snow and timber (everything was white at that moment) until I finally reach the front of the church, Minho follows behind my back.

.

It is like a big plasma TV, just like watching a movie with Minho’s face in it. He was wearing the same outfit when they met with the same lazy expression; the difference was he is talking to his phone in the elevator.

“Oh my God.” I heard him mumbled.

The elevator doors open and he went out into his car. But there’s no sign of me. I was supposed to be there, humiliating myself in front of him. That’s how we met.

“Didn’t I suppose to be there?” I asked loudly.

He shrugs without leaving his vision from the screen. The scene went inside his car and show how he impatiently ends up his phone call with his brother. He drives to a guard house and they talk. What happen next shock me even more.

“Happy New Year sir.” The guard said. “I hope you enjoy the celebration tonight. I heard the girl’s generation is at the Seoul Park. You must be going there after this.”

He twitches his mouth, “I’m not their fan. Plus, I don’t celebrate the eve.”

“Good Lord. Then, you should replace me tonight sir. I want to see them so badly that my body is aching but…I have to work tonight.”

“Well I’m sorry, Shindong hyung, but I need some rest. I’ve been working like a pig these past few weeks. A new proposal just came in. We had to sort it out by tomorrow.”

“Bless you.” Shindong replied, “You look like hell too. Now, go on. Don’t let your bed wait for you.”

“Will do.” Toss his finger up on his temple, wave it like some handsome captain and off he goes.

Boom!

The air stuck in my lung. I couldn’t breathe any more.

His car drives right into the street but was hit by a bus. Minho had an accident. His forehead was spilling blood over his face and his head lying dead at the steering wheel. Tears are falling down to my cheeks before I knew it. Have you ever feel terrified, petrified and horrified at the same time?

I do.

“Minho?” I look at him who was at my side all the time watching the thing I watched. “What is this?”

He was feeling the same. “I – I don’t know.” He held his head, close his eyes to remember and then suddenly it hit him, “God, I remember that now.”

I was hoping it was not ironic or dramatic. But given their odd situation right now, I knew I had to think about it too.

“I – I was in that car.” He said, “But – but I thought I was dreaming. I thought I was having nightmare. The next thing I know I was at my desk again and then I prepare to get home and – and then I met you in the elevator and – and we went through some strange occasions and then –” he paused, in his eyes I can see that he was deadly terrified, “Oh God, am I dead?” he asked in a rough whisper.

I want to give him my sympathy but before I could, the screen changes to another scene. It was me this time.

I was sitting on desk, seemingly irritated by something. Then, I pick up my phone to answer a call.

“Hello.” I said. A few moments later my face turn into some defeated expression, “Oh no, not you too Sooyoung.” I wailed.

I remember this one. I totally remember.

“You are not going too, Sooyoung?” It was as if I’m looking back at my life to correct my sins or my deeds. Why am I seeing this? “To the ANYEL’s gathering. Gosh, Sooyoung. Where did you put your head? Tonight is the New Year’s Eve and we supposed to meet at your house and have some fun.”

The conversation goes on and on. The same exact words that were spilled from my mouth before nothing difference. A few minutes later, I hang up and face my workloads again. Fair enough. But then I just stare at it, feeling sick of seeing the pile of documents and massage my head. I look at the time. Yes, I remember that. It was 10.15 in the evening. And then…I sleep, on the table. My eyes were closed and I even snored. Oh my God, it’s embarrassing.

“You were sleeping.” He suddenly spoke to her. “You were just in a slumber.”

“I – I don’t know.” And that was honest. “Maybe I had a heart attack in my sleep and died too.”

He chuckles dryly, “I don’t think things work out that way.”

“How do you know?”

He didn’t say anything, he just shows my hand and I understand.

I was disappearing bit by bit into a tiny white dust. I’ve already lost my fingers and my feet. It was like a magic but the thing is, I don’t like this magic. I look at him again. He was staring at me with such a grim look that I was sure the same look was plastered on my face.

“Minho, I don’t want to go.” I cried. "I love you"

“I love you too,” he was about to cry but held it inside like a man, “but promise me to live your life like nothing happen. Like you haven’t met me at all.”

“Are you crazy? How am I supposed to do that?” I yelled.

He closes his eyes in vain, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t kiss you. I shouldn’t tell you that I love you. I should’ve just let you believe that I was married. I’m really sorry, Yuri. I didn’t know that I was dead at that time.”

I was really crying like a baby. He was so lovely and he was mine, even for a tiny little small frozen moments.

“I’m sorry.” He said for the last time. Half of my body was already vanished.

“Don’t be.” I bit my quavering lips, “I enjoy every moments I had with you.”

He smiles and wipes my tears away, “Don’t worry.” As he touches my face, “I’ll be your guardian angel now. I’ll protect you from a different side of your world.”

I stare up into the grave face and I thought I was dead instead.

“Will you visit me every day?”

He gently shakes his head, “No.” but then playfully chortle, “I will see you every second.”

Now, I lost his grip on my wrist. What’s left is beyond my chest. My time is up but I don’t want to end it so unceremoniously.

“Kiss me.”

His eyes were not surprised but readily accepted it. He took his time to get on my lips. But he did it. We share kiss for the last time and a moment later, everything is dissolved. I couldn’t feel any part of his lips. I had the sensation of flying, very fast, but I chose to close my eyes.

And then I felt the solid desk on my face. I open my eyes slowly. A vision of my modest office comes piercing into my teary eyes. I felt my cheeks – it is wet, I was crying before and everything is real. But then any human being can cry in their dreams too. So it can be not real too.

That night I spent my time crying in Sooyoung’s arms.

*****

New Year’s Eve 2013

“Hey!”

Sooyoung greeted me happily as I arrived at the front door. Pretty much the same every year except that she got a different hairstyle now, chopped short bob. She looks funny but she looks cheekier.

“How are you doing?” she asked.

I frown. Is it not etiquette to invite people to their house first before asking their well-being?

“I’m fine…Thank you for asking.”

It is cold outside and I desperately want to go into her living room and sit beside her heater. But damn it. Sooyoung was standing awkwardly on the door frame like she was posing for some Vogue photoshoot. I try to enter but she changes her pose and put her hand on the frame and grins at her.

“Sooyoung, what are you doing? I’m cold.”

She holds her palm out.

“Okay, okay. But I have to warn you something first.”

“What?”

She smiles childishly, “I’ve got a boyfriend.” She told me excitedly.

But I was not amused. Anger filled me. I roll my eyes, turn my heels and ready to walk away.

“Wait. Wait. Wait!” she grabbed my arms.

“Oh I hate you!” I squealed, “I want to burn you right now. Choi Sooyoung, you are on my hate list!”

I yank her hand off me.

“Yuri, listen to me. I’ve got someone for you too.”

“I don’t want to see him.” I said as I walk down the stairs.

“Well you do, Yuri.” She yelled from distance, “And he desperately want to see you too. What am I going to tell him if you walk away like this?”

I crossed the street and look back at my friend who just betrayed me, “Ask him to go to hell!” I don’t know why I’m so hysterical but I am mad at that moment.

“Ouch!”

My body instantly reacted to the voice. I stiffen.

“Hell is not exactly my dream vacation. I was actually planning to go to Europe with some hot chic.”

Tell that I’m dreaming again and I swear to God I am going to kill myself. Psychiatrist is not cheap these days!

“But if you want me to go there.” His breaths were next to my ear; his hands already warmed around my waist. “I will do as you said, Kwon Yuri.”

I didn’t let my mind think too much at that time. I toss myself around immediately and when I saw his face again, I press my lips against him hard. And my world exploded with our violence response to each other.

“I miss you.” I mumble as we went on kissing, “I miss you so much.”

I can hear somebody mocking a disgust gesture on them (personally, I think it was Sooyoung), but I couldn’t care less. He was in my arm now. And it was all real.

“I love you.” He finally said as he lifts his mouth from mine, “You don’t know how dreadful it was for me living without you. It was beyond hell. And I’ve been searching you for so long with no success. I’ve search the company database for you. I’ve been to that café near building every day. But there’s no sign of you.” He giggles, “But I was a fool. All I have to do is to agree joining my Kyuhyun hyung’s invitation to meet some hot chic and there you are…my hot chic.”

“But aren’t you dead?”

He shakes his head, “No. I dissolved as soon as you disappear. It turn out that I was only unconscious. I open my eyes and I was at my car with a lot of people staring down at me and asking me if I’m alright.” He then put his hands on my face. It is warm. And that’s mean he is not a ghost. “Oh God, no one believe me, Yuri. I almost thought I was mad for thinking that it was real.”

He then places a chaste kiss on my forehead.

“But you are real and it just that, I've been living in a different world.”

I smile. “We both did.” I said in aching whisper, “And that’s fine. That’s totally okay.”

 

******

 

Our small reunion was celebrated under the shower of fireworks that night. It was the best night I've ever had. Don't get me wrong, we both still hate New Year's celebration and we both are ANYEL's member now. Yeah, I know it is wrong. God probably want to show us the importance of the celebration when we had that odd journey. It was wrong. However, even though we are at the wrong side, we still have each other. Together forever - and that's underrated!

 

*****

 

Enjoy