Mission

Cop vs. Criminal

 

 

 

Eunji's P.O.V

I slowly lowered myself from the rooftop, gripping the bungee cord and releasing every time I bounced off the wall. I dropped down gently and silently in the darkness, continuing until I reached the window of the master bedroom. Chang Jae Sun was out at a charity gala tonight although he's there for everything BUT charity. Planting my feet into the base of the window, I ran a gloved hand over the smooth surface while the other hand held on to the rope. Knocking gently, I tested the glass. Resting the needle of the compass dead center on the window, I set the ruler for 3 feet and pressed the blade against the glass, carving a wide circle. Carefully removing the glass, I climbed into the room. I wore black jeans, a surgeon mask, a black hoodie, black military high tops, gloves, and a black beanie. With my hair tied into a bun, I stuffed it into the beanie so that I wouldn't leave any strands of hair behind. My high tops had a slick bottom to avoid leaving footprints and, obviously, the gloves were to keep from leaving behind fingerprints. I had the overall appearance of a guy, so if I'm ever seen, though it's very unlikely that I'll get caught, I'd be thought of as a guy.

I quickly scanned the room, searching for anything that would hint at a safe. Of course, the first place I checked was the closet, but the only things I found were Armani suits and Rolex watches. Sure, I could've taken them and sold them, but watches have serial numbers on them and could be easily tracked. And suits are just not worth the trouble. I continued searching around the room, knocking on the walls for hollow spots. Finally, there was an area in the left wall of the room that sounded different from the rest. There's something in the other room. I headed towards the exit. Stopping at the door, I heard muffled voices. I froze, listening silently to the maids gossip. "The woman he brought home last night was really something, wasn't she? She couldn't even stand straight."

"Neither could Master Chang half of the time." I snickered quietly. "She threw up all over the wool spreads. I had to hand scrub the sheets for hours until the smell came off."

"At least you didn't have to clean Master Chang's bedroom this morning. They were in the shower when I came in to pick up the sheets." The maid shuddered at the remembrance.

"He'll bring home another one tonight, no doubt about that." I pulled my hood over my head a bit more as I heard the women shuffle past the room. Gently twisting the knob, I pulled the door open, holding my breath as it creaks quietly. I opened it barely enough for my right eye to peek out of the slit. When I was sure that the women were gone, I slipped out and into the next room.

Once in, I the flashlight, shining it around the room. I couldn't help but notice the hideous self-portrait Chang Jae Sun has of himself. His golden dyed hair made his smug face look hideously orange. I gently tapped the painting, listening as two hollow echoes emitted from behind. Removing the portrait, I noticed that the wallpaper has been glued over several times. I took out a scalpel from my belt and poked a hole into the paper, ripping it off gently and quietly. Shining the flashlight into the hole, I caught sight of a silver metal box.

I sat down at the desk, the metal box in my hands. I had put the picture it belonged, hiding the gap in the wall I had revealed. What could be in here? Cash? Jewels? Setting the box on the desk, I studied the lock. Once I figured out the shape, I took out a set of lock pickers and found the correct size. While fumbling around with the picks, I accidentally dropped the flashlight. Upon picking it up, I noticed something glinting under the desk. I reached for it, feeling around the ground. When I finally grasped it, I pulled it up to eye level and observed it in the light of the flashlight. A key? It's not the same size as the box's keyhole. I heard the doorknob turn. Thinking quickly, I turned off the light. I grabbed the box and hid under Jae Sun's desk, holding my breath. The light switched on. "That's strange, I thought I heard something." It was the voice of one of the cleaning woman I had overheard earlier.

My heart began beating faster as I heard footsteps approach the desk. Squeezing closer against the desk, I prepared myself to jump, if necessary. "I don't see anything. You must've been hearing things. Watching too much City Hunter, eh?" I chuckled silently to myself. What? I've seen that drama, and I must admit, we ARE pretty similar. I heard distant mumblings as the women left the room. Breathing a sigh of relief, I tried to stand, momentarily forgetting that I was still UNDER the desk. Almost letting out an involuntary yelp, I clasped my hands over my mouth to stifle the sound. I sat there for a moment to ensure that nothing has aroused the suspicion of the curious maids. Once a minute uneventful stillness slowly dragged by, I prepared to pull myself out from beneath the oak wood. That's when I saw it, the locked secret compartment under the tabletop of his desk. Hmm. Looks about right. I grabbed the key and slid it in with ease, turning it left ever so carefully. Gently allowing the slab of wood to silently flap down, I beamed the light, only to find a stack of papers. Love letters? He's a sentimental person? I took the pages and began skimming through them. They weren't just papers, they were legal documents. Each a separate deed to the land he took from the friendly neighborhoods inhabitants. Bingo. Checking my watch (it's glow-in-the-dark; cool, I know), I noticed how late it's gotten. 12:23 AM. Chang Jae Sun could be coming home with his "lady friend" anytime soon now. First place they'd probably go to is the bedroom. Once he sees the hole I left in his window, he'll know. I have to leave. Now.

Grabbing the metal box, I snuck back to the master bedroom. I clipped the cord back on my belt and climbed out the window. Being careful of where I set my footing, I scaled the wall and packed up all my stuff once I reached the rooftop. I grabbed my duffel bag and used the fire escape to  drop down into the back alleyway. Too easy. I smirked as I silently disappeared into the night.