The Goblet of Fire

Cop vs. Criminal

Eunji's P.O.V

I slowed my run to a brisk walk as I began to approach the coffee shop. Seunghyun texted me to meet him here. It's been a month since we met. We've been hanging out here everyday since then. Planning missions became hard when we exchanged phone numbers. I would get distracted every time my phone rings. He texted me an hour ago, telling me to come here. My heart was beating out of my chest as the café's chalk board grew in sight. I read the message that was scrawled across in neat green handwriting:

The Triwizard tournament begins!

I almost choked on the air I was breathing. Triwizard tournament? Isn't that from The Goblet of Fire? Cautious, I stepped into the café.

The coffee shop was entirely rearranged into a maze, one that resembled the maze from the Third Task. A golden egg sat in a nest at the entrance of the maze. Bracing myself, I picked up the egg and slowly opened it. Rather than a screeching "song", which was what I expected from the book, Seunghyun's voice sounded from a prerecorded message. "Congratulations, you have been selected to compete in the Triwizard Tournament. I assume you know what to do" - I smirked at this - "so good luck, and best wishes." I laughed when the message was over. This is going to be fun.

I continued to make my way down the path, carefully observing the hedges to make sure nothing surprises me. After a few seconds, I reached a fork in the road. Left or right, left or right? I decided to go left. After a minute or so, I reached an intersection. It took me forever just to decide between two paths, now three?! I breathed in deeply and stayed quiet, using my ears to listen to any subtle movements. Something was coming from the left path and another from the right. I'm pretty sure they're human, I mean, Seunghyun wouldn't put giant spiders into the maze just for authenticity...would he?

I backed up a bit, getting out of the way of the two oncoming creatures. Finally, two people emerged from the paths, meeting at the center of the crossed roads. They turned to face me. I was taken aback by their appearance. One boy had light golden-brown hair and wore a Hogwarts robe with a Hufflepuff emblem stitched on the chest area. Cedric Diggory? My eyes scanned the second boy. Black hair, circle-framed glasses, Gryffindor emblem. My eyes wandered to his forehead. A lightning-bolt scar. There was no doubt who he is. Harry Potter. I recognized these two. Both the characters and the guys playing them. They were two of the shop's employees. The one dressed as Harry used to hit on me when I first came here. I grinned at their appearance. Cedric spoke first.

"From that look, I assume you know who we are?" I nodded. "Then you know that we both reach the trophy at the same time?" Another nod. "Let's get going then." We began heading forward. A few moments later, the three of us reached the trophy. I froze. The trophy glinted in the center and had dragons for handles. Remembering what happens next in the book, I remained glued to my spot. Harry turned to me.

"What's wrong?" I looked at the trophy. A flash of realization struck Harry, making him chuckle. "Relax, this is real life, we're not going to be ambushed by Voldemort." Suddenly remembering that this was a coffee shop and NOT the actual maze, though it could've fooled anyone, I approached the trophy. Exhaling, I laid my hands on the cool scale handles of the trophy. A rectangular portion of the maze opened. "This is where we separate, continue down the path to find him." Harry winked at me.

"Aja! Aja! Fighting!" Cedric held up a fist in support. "Daebak!" I laughed at the goofball and made my way towards the entrance. I heard Diggory call after me. "We'll see you tomorrow, Eunji!" Harry's voice sounded after.

"I CHANGED MY MIND. EUNJI-AH, COME BACK TO ME. I SHOULDN'T HAVE HELPED HIM. HE'LL NEVER LOVE YOU LIKE I DO. REJECT HI-" I turned around. The rest was stifled by Cedric's hand, which tightly clamped Harry's mouth. Cedric began dragging Harry away. Though he put up a good fight, he was eventually subdued by Cedric.

"Just keep going! Ignore him!" Cedric yelled over Harry's struggles. Shaking my head, I laughed at the two and walked through the opening in the wall.

The room here was lit by a bright artificial blue flame, which filled a roughly hewn cup to the brim. The blue flames glowed brightly as they danced in the large cup. The Goblet of Fire. I advanced towards the burning cup. A note laid on the table.

You've made it this far, all that's left to do is take your chance. Put your hand into the flames.

"WHAT?! CHOI SEUNGHYUN, ARE YOU INSANE?" I called out into the vast dimness. No response. Do I do it? What if the fire does burn? I know it's a fake fire, but still. It looks and feels so real. A warm heat emitted from the glow. He'd never put me in any real danger, I trust Seunghyun. I'll be okay. At least I hope so. "Ugh. Fine, whatever. Thug life." Sticking my hand into the goblet, I was greeted by a warm gust of air. Heater? I smiled at how stupid I was earlier. I tend to forget that this is reality. A warm metal brushed against my fingers as I felt around the cup. Picking it up, I felt that it was round and pulled it out of the flames. A long chain followed. The Golden Snitch glinted in my hands, its wings folded down the sides. I clicked a small button that protruded from the top of the Snitch. The wings flapped open as the circular object did the same. Half of the ball opened up. A locket. It's beautiful. Inside was a piece of paper.

Lee Eunji, will you be my girlfriend?

All of the lights flipped on. Seunghyun walked into the room, grinning. Once he reached me, he kneeled on one knee, taking my hand in his. Everything happened so quickly. There wasn't much I could do but smile idiotically. He cleared his throat and proceeded. "Eunji-ah, it's been exactly one month, five days, eight hours, twenty three minutes, and-" He paused to look at his watch. "-thirty six seconds since we've met. Within that time, you've managed to surprise over and over again. Now, it's my turn to surprise you. Will you be my girlfriend?" Is this real? Or is it another one of my dreams? I stood there for what must've been a good five minutes. Seunghyun's smile slowly faded. "Eunji? Are you okay?" He waved his hand around in front of my face. Still completely dazed, I just looked back. "Uhm. Was this too much? It's okay if you want to say no. I'll be fine with it." Say something, stupid! He stood up. "It's okay. We'll still be friends." I finally shook myself out of shock.

"Wait, what?"

"You can keep the locket, it's a gift. I'll just- I'll just go now."

"No, Seunghyun, I-" He put his finger to my lips, indicating me to stop talking.

"I'll be okay. Don't worry about me." No, pabo, I'm going to say yes. Just let me speak. "There's nothing left to be said. This will just take some time to heal." I pulled his hand away.

"I was going to say yes."

"And I'm fine with that. You'll just need to give me some time al- wait what?" He froze.

"I was going to accept." He still didn't seem to understand. I took a deep breath. There's one way I could explain it where he'd definitely get the message. Holding the locket in my left hand, I wrapped my right around his neck, gently pulling him in. Our lips met, Seunghyun's arm tightening around my waist. Suddenly, the coffee shop's employees jumped up out of nowhere, filling the air with streamers and confetti. I felt him grin against my lips. I pulled away. "Understand now?" He nodded, the goofball smile still on his face. He took the Snitch from my hand and put it on around my neck. The employees cheered and had their own little party around us.

"I like you a lot." I laugh.

"Well, I would hope so!" He grinned.

"Yeoja chingu."

"Namja chingu." He pulled me in for a deeper kiss. Right then, I heard a voice cry in the background.

"NO! EUNJI, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? I THOUGHT WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL." Cedric smacked Harry in the back of his head. Seunghyun and I just laughed, embracing each other while the night lasted.