Chapter 1

The Dreamer of San Francisco

 

Kevin sat on the slightly damp sand, letting the constant sound of waves crashing in the distance soothe him. The air was slightly damp from the daily fog, but today was clearer than usual.  The wind ruffled his brown strands of hair with blonde streaks, a result of a week at the beach. Would she have loved being here with him, the place they were familiar with and constantly longed for? Yet they could barely be the same place at the same time. Only if he could hold her hand right now…

“Kevin!”

He turned to see a guy with a blonde Mohawk run up and smiled. “Eli!” he greeted his best friend.

The man flopped onto the sand on a spot next to him. “Man, is the West Coast beautiful,” he breathed out, looking out to the horizon where the sun was just rising.

“I bet ia is just as beautiful.” Kevin turned back to the ocean in front of him.

“But it’s a different kind of beauty. Different texture of the sand, different temperature-”

“Spit it out, man.” Kevin had noticed Eli fidgeting. “I know you didn’t just come here to talk about how beautiful the beach looks this morning.”

“Fine.” Eli sighed and crossed the legs. “It’s just that, I’m not sure if this even real…what if I’m just dreaming?”

Kevin shook his head and pinched Eli in the neck. The queasy feeling grew as he recalled similar words said at the very same place he was sitting. But there was no one to blame but himself.

“Ow! What the heck?” Eli slapped Kevin’s hand. “What was that for? Jerk.”

He smirked and sat back. “Well, it seems like you’re not dreaming. I’m surprised though, you’re usually running off your big mouth. So, it must be The Girl then.”

“Yes, The Girl.”

“You never told me her name.” Kevin started running sand through his hands.

“I’ll give you three guesses,” Eli teased.

“That’s not fair.”

“Hey, didn’t you live here most of your life? You might know her. But fine, three hints.” He leaned back in the sand. “She’s blonde, with a perfect face, like it sculpted. She’s really honest, even if she’s saying something people don’t want to here. And she has a tinkling laugh that makes her eyes look like shining crescent moons.”

“Naturally blonde?”

Eli hesitated. “Maybe not? I think I remember seeing black roots.”

Kevin froze, his fingers curled around the handful of sand he just scooped up. “Is her name Jessica Jung?”

“Yeah! So you do know her. Did she go to the same school as you?”

He stood up and threw his hand down. The breeze carried away the sand from his grasp. He looked at the horizon, motionless for a second. Then he shook his head and said, “You should ask her about her sister.”

Then he turned away and never looked back at Eli. It was unlikely for him to act this cold, but he knew he would cave in to the emotions harbored inside of him if he didn’t leave. As he walked away, he realized that was the reason why he had left this place with no regrets at first. But he could never run away from the chains of the past.

That never stopped him from trying.

[A/N] Just putting the poster I made myself here since I still like it a bit better :P But that's probably just me being arrogant and picky >.<