Part of Me: Chapter 3

Part of Me

 

A VOICE echoed inside her head. After turning her head left and right a couple of times, she suddenly sat up.

"Sunjung noona!" A boy jumped towards her for a hug. "I was worried sick! You should just have stayed home today!"

Sunjung apologized to her little brother again. After glancing around the clinic, she honestly stated the reason for collapsing.

"What?!" Sungjong grew agitated. Sunjung had to cover his mouth before her brother could start ranting. The boy slapped her sister's hand away from his mouth. "I should've known better. You've become delusional. Let's go home, so you can take a rest." It wasn't a nice gesture but Sunjung didn't mind. She knew her brother was only worried about her.

But rest wasn't what Sunjung really wanted. She wants to stay there and voice out her feelings. And Sungjong kindly complied his sister's wish.

"Sungyeol came back for me. I knew he wouldn't leave me," she proudly started off. On and on, she talked nothing else but Sungyeol and his appearance.

Sungjong breathed, "Noona..." No matter how hard it is to him, he needs to make his sister realise that Sungyeol is definitely gone and will never come back. It might hurt her, but it was the truth. "You shouldn't make things hard for hyung nor to yourself. He needs to go to his destination and he was just probably here to finish an unsettled business. Maybe he was here to say his final goodbye to you, express his feelings or whatever. But I'm sure that he can't stay here any longer. Please understand and accept this, noona. I'm sure hyung doesn't want you to be like this-unhappy nor unhealthy. Grieving for him, I understand that but with you being in a state like this will be a million years of burden for his soul. It will only make things worse if you don't move forward."

 

"STUPID Sungjong. Always acting matured when he's more childish than I am," Sunjung whined. She was sent home in the end. She was laying on her bed with her legs and arms spread widely, left with nothing to do. "It's so very boring."

Just then a figure floated in front of her. "Don't get stoned or faint again or I won't show myself to you or anymore," Sungyeol immediately threatened his girlfriend. Sunjung was about to bombard him with questions, so he also took action by saying, "You're the only one who can see me, so don't fret about it."

But Sungjung did, anyway.

Sighing, Sungyeol started explaining the reason of his presence. "I want you to move on. Find another man that can take care of you the way I couldn't. I want to do it before I leave for good, three weeks from now," he revealed.

To this, Sunjung bitterly replied, "Do you think it's that easy?"

"No- I don't-"

"You left me and then tell me to move on. What, you think I'd use some innocent person to fool, so that I could forget about you?" A knock from the door interrupted her venting.

"Sunjungie, are you alright?" her mother worriedly asked.

Trying hard to not let her voice crack, she replied, "Yes, omma. I'm just practicing some lines." She heard her mother laugh from the other side when the older realized that her daughter acts. She left her, then.

Sunjung glared at Sungyeol before hiding herself under her ginormous pillows.

"Sunjungie, you know I never meant it like that. I just don't want to see you being sad like this. I don't want you to pretend to be happy," Sungyeol wooed her but Sunjung wasn't affected by it. "I'm going to help you find someone suitable..."

 

"IT FEELS like years since I've been here," Sungyeol grinned as he floated beside Sunjung. "This university is the best. They're always updated with what's new and delicious snacks. I hope I can eat them, too." He kept on blabbering random things but her girlfriend wasn't interested at all.

They sat in the cafeteria to pass time until Sunjung's first designated class. She kept ignoring the elementary kid floating around her.

"Look, I'm swimming on air!" Sungyeol demonstrated by swinging his arms sideways in a circular motion .He made face when Sunjung wasn't looking. "Ya, how can you find a new boyfriend now if you frown like that?" Just then, a certain boy next door caught his eye. He pointed to him, "Sunjung, that's Hoya hyung from the dance department. He's a dancing machine. His moves are totaly daebak! Would you like to date him?" Sunjung didn't reply. "No? How about that guy on the stage? He's good in singing. But I can't seem to see his eyes... Oh! That one's good choice! Woohyun hyung, he's a singer, too. He has the best humor!" Sungyeol kept on pointing at the best and most popular boys in their school but Sunjung never looked at any of them.

Sunjung shot up as grew grew irritated of Sungyeol's pointing, 'oh, ohs!', yelping and squeaking while recommending guys to her. "Would you shut up? I told you, it's not that easy!" she shouted.

When she realized what she had just done, she bowed in embarrassment. "I'm sorry! I just had the urge to practice my lines..." she smiled meekly.

"Sunjung-ssi?" a figure stood right next to her.

"What do you want, Myungsoo- uh-goon?" she asked in an annoyed tone.

"I never thought you were my noona because you always look cute. The scene earlier was daebak, by the way." The said boy took a seat across her and started a friendly conversation.

Although, this seemed to be a good chance for Sunjung to date, Sungyeol didn't really like this particular man.

"So yeah, I believe you're already familiar with me. I'm honoured, Juliet."

Sunjung scoffed, "Kim Myungsoo, the prodigy who can do well in every field and have starred in different crack plays. You're said to be the best male lead but I don't think so." Sungyeol grinned and gave her a thumbs up when he saw her eyed him while saying the last sentence.

Myungsoo was beaming widely, "You're actually very knowledgeable about me, huh. I wonder why I am not your favorite."

"Walls in this school have ears and news have wings, so what do you expect? And my favorite male lead is none of your business, womanizer. Leave me alone," Sunjung scowled as she replied.

Myungsoo made a disappointed face at Sunjung as if he was expecting a much better interaction with her. He smirked as he left with a remark, "Sungyeol hyung wasn't much of a competition, so if he's your favorite, then too bad, he didn't even had the chance to shine."

Sungyeol saw Sunjung's pale clutched knuckle. "That's okay...don't mind him." Sunjung tried to remain calm as Sungyeol have instructed. He vanished for a while to who knows where.

"Sunjung-ssi," another figure stood beside the female.

"I'm not interesred with anyone, okay?!" she snapped for the second time. She was surprised at herself and so is the man who was just an innocent guy.

"What's wrong with you, noona?" Sungjong asked in confusion. His sister bowed and apologized. "Dongwoo hyung has something to say to you. I have tons of schedule today, so bye!"

The guy named Dongwoo bowed and introduced himself also adding that he was Sunjung's classmate.

Sungyeol came back in time and commented, "He looks like a pterodactyl." Sunjung laughed which made Dongwoo confused.

Somehow, her mood was back to normal again. "I'm sorry. Yeah, of course I know you. You're the guy with a hilarious laugh. So what were you trying to say?" she spoke and even imitated the guy's laugh.

The three of them laughed at each other: Sungyeol laugh at Dongwoo, Dongwoo laugh at himself and Sunjung also laughed at him.

After a joyous laughs, Dongwoo got to the point. "I was just going to hand you our homework yesterday. You were sent yesterday, so yeah..." He awkwardly bid goodbye afterwards.

Sungyeol floated beside Sunjung and sat down. "He's not that good-looking as I am but he reminds you of me, right?" He made Sunjung widen her eyes. "Come on, we started off like that to. I'm an awkward ball- stick," he cleared when Sunjung gave him a look. He continued, "-but has a lot of hidden humor."

"And you're childish."

"I am."

The two were surprised when Dongwoo suddenly showed up beside them, "Sunjung-ssi! I almost forgot, aren't you going to audition for the new play?"

"What play?" the two chorused.