Part of Me: Chapter 2

Part of Me

 

SUNJUNG woke up at the sound of her alarm clock. Sungyeol's screaming voice kept on playing on her phone but she just stared at it ringing on the small table beside her bed. She was still drained from yesterday's play where she portrayed Juliet Capulet in a crack version of Rome and Juliet. She was also forced to attend the after-party until two in the morning.

"Oppa, you're so very noisy," she grumbled then turned away from the loud device.

"Noona! Wake up already!" Someone harshly banged on her door. "And turn of that thing off! Sungyeol hyung might suddenly visit us here!"

Sometime after, the alarm went off by itself and before it could start ringing again, Sunjung finally had the will-and energy-to get up and turn it off. With a heavy sigh, she trudged towards the her bathroom to prepare for school.

 

"GOOD morning, omma," Sunjung greeted her mom with a kiss. She took a seat beside the older.

Sunjung's mother have prepared everything on their plates and bowls, so there was no need reaching for a certain dish unless they're on their seconds. And with that, they started eating together with the exception of their father who was working overseas. 

Sunjung felt someone eyeing her. She looked up and saw her younger brother making a weird face at her. "Sungjongie, what are you looking at?" she asked with connected eyebrows.

"You look like a kid." Dressed in an overalls which was cut short, a pink, half-sleeved t-shirt with Rarity printed on it and a pair of pastel yellow doll shoes, Sungjong noticed it all. "Your armpits are even showing," he added.

Their mother joined their conversation by complimenting her daughter, "Your noona looks cute to me."

Sunjung contentedly smiled. "And my armpits are just fine. They're y," she added then stuck out her tongue.

It made Sungjong irritably roll his eyes at his sister's self praising comment. He still insisted that she specially looks more of a kid today. 'A big baby' was what Sungjong named her for today.

 

STUDENTS swarmed around the bulletin board loudly chatting about the latest news. Being the lazybum that she was, Sunjung passed them by knowing that all of the things posted there will fly to her later.

"Noona!" a familiar voice called Sunjung. She turned to look at where it came from and found her younger brother running towards her direction. "Sunjungie noona! I heard that there's a new ice cream stall around the campus. They say it's delicious, so you need to treat me to a big bowl of different flavors," Sungjong demanded while pushing his sister outside the theatre building.

Sunjung was totally against it but in the end, she regretfully gave in on her brother's cute pleading. "You can't tease me today, understand?" She bartered in exchange for the ice cream and Sungjong willfully nodded his head as a reply.

After devouring the large serving of rainbow colored ice cream-where Sunjung actually helped finish it halfway through-Sungjong was now ready to go back to their building.

"Look at yourself, Sungjongie. You have a bulging stomach," Sunjung joyously laughed at her brother making him pout and hide his abdomen.

"Done laughing?" Sungjung nodded to his brother. "Good. Let's walk back together."

"Of course, we're going to walk there together. We study in the same building, silly!" Sunjung stated the obvious. She suddenly felt like something was wrong with her brother for being dense but Sungjong denied it and retained his cheerful self.

Sunjung knew there was really something off with her brother, so she made him spill it. They were undeniably close siblings and secrets-or whatever it is that's troubling the other-was always easily noticed and shared amongst themselves.

Sungjong took his time contemplating on how he should start. He started with a softened expression, "You should take care of yourself more. I know you're working hard acting in plays..." he enumerated other things involving his sister's activities. Then, he continued, "I know it's to get good grades...but I also know that you're working extra hard for Sungyeol hyung's sake." He guessed it right as shown on Sunjung's look.

They reached their floor in awkward silence. Their classrooms were only a few rooms away from each other but none of them dared to go inside yet.

"Sungjongie," the older started with a sigh. "Thank you for your concern. I'll watch my health from now on. I apologize for making you worry. And by the way, did you know that your zipper is open?"

Sungjong covered that area in a flash. His cheeks burned red at her sister's embarrassing information. He turned around to check. "Wait- Noona! It isn't!" he yelled upon realization.

Sunjung was already in front of her classroom door. She showed his brother her tongue in a teasing manner then entered. Though, she had a lot of things she wanted to share to his younger sibling, she just couldn't.

Sunjung wanted to shine on stage not because she loves being popular but because she loves Sungyeol too much that she'd continue whatever dreams he couldn't fullfil. Acting was Sungyeol's passion, the same for Sunjung. If it wasn't for this, they wouldn't have met...they wouldn't have fallen in love with each other. She pushes herself on her own will. As Sungjong have said, it was for the sake of Sungyeol.

Sunjung reached her classroom and took the seat near the back door-farthest left from the board. She placed her workbook on her desk but she didn't even flip the pages when their newly arrived professor told them to. She cupped her face with her hands. Her elbows were resting on the table and moments later, she started bobbing her head back and forth because of her lack of sleep. She didn't noticed that the seat beside her, which was always empty, was taken by the most unexpected person.

"Sungjong's right. You should take care of yourself more. I remember before leaving, you had chubby cheeks, but look at you now, you're almost like a skeleton."

 Her ears might have been unclean that day, she starts hearing things. It might be because she lacks a few hours of sleep. Or maybe it was just another person who happened to sound like him...or not.

It was really him. Sungyeol, himself was displaying his signature smile at Sunjung as if nothing ever happened to him. Now, has her eyes started betraying her, too?

No.

Sunjung could see him very clearly. He was a little transparent, alright. He was also glowing in his all white shirt and pants but it doesn't matter. It was Lee Sungyeol right in front of her eyes, sitting beside the supposedly empty seat grinning like an idiot. It was Lee Sungyeol, her boyfriend who's supposedly dead two weeks ago.

Sunjung was utterly surprised by his sudden appearance. She accidentally managed to yelp but hold it back at once. She was heard, though, and the class' attention was on her.

In an annoyed tone, her instructor questioned, "Is there a problem, Ms. Lee Sunjung?"

The said female couldn't reply, not even make eye contact with anyone else besides the childish ghost beside her.

"Are you sick?" the instructor asked again.

By then, Sunjung lost her natural milky white skin tone and turned into a ghostly pale one. Cold sweat crawled down her temple.

She finally managed to move a muscle and stuttered in horror, "No- Sungyeol-"

"Boo!"