Chapter 7: Love of Common Things

The Ice Princess and Her Knight [On Hold]

Now that Princess Krystal has made it outside the castle, it is finally time to explore. Everything is different compare to what Krystal is use to in the castle. The sight, the smells, and the way people talk were different than what Krystal is use to. She never would have thought about how different everything would be. Instead of large beautiful buildings there are cluster of small buildings of businesses and home.

“Can we spy on Amber?” Krystal asks Minzy.

“If the princess wished it, then so be it.” Minzy said.

They walk through crowds of people and Krystal finds it a little strange to be walking through a crowd that doesn’t know who she is. Minzy takes extra care not to let Krystal out of her sight. Finally they arrive just outside of the home of Amber. Waiting outside for the sight of Amber, Krystal waited eagerly. Though Minzy realizes the feelings the princess have for Amber, the truth would be too hard for the princess to understand right now.

“Princess there,” Minzy pointed as she spotted Amber. “Look its Amber.”

Amber is dressed in her casual clothes which still resemble clothes that men would wear. Minzy knew this and knows that it is rare to find Amber in a dress. The way Amber carries herself made her appear like a fallen angel or even a prince who was force out of his place in royalty.

The expression on Krystal’s face brightens as she catches sight of Amber. She couldn’t contain her excitement and lost her footing as she tries to get closer. Krystal trips and fell flat on her face covering her from head to toe in dirt. Minzy quickly helps Krystal hides and luckily Amber didn’t realize anything.

“I don’t want to be here anymore.” Krystal said with watery eyes.

“It’s just a little dirt. Don’t worry princess. It is not uncommon to get dirty.” Minzy said.

After Krystal have the chance to clean herself up Minzy took her to the marketplace where Amber is heading. Krystal has never seen such a place where people gather to get fresh food ingredients. She haven’t had the chance to even see how food is prepared in the castle so seeing this new sight is exciting for Krystal to see. In the distance Krystal can see Amber buying some fish.

“I never realize how many new scents raw food can produce.” Krystal said. “Do you buy your food here?”

“Sometimes when I feel like it. Mostly the cooks, maids, or butlers are the people handling that job.” Minzy said. “Most knights are born in common blood but there are a lot of knights born from wealthy family. Though they may not be as wealthy as royalties they have more than enough to get by.”

“I never realize how different people are when they are in different class.”

“You’ll be surprise with the number of different people you meet when you are not of royal blood.”

“Really? Why can’t I do that?” Krystal asks curiously.

“You wouldn’t want to be trouble by the things the common people wished for.” Minzy said.

“Is Amber one of the common people?”

“No, but she is closer to one than you are princess. What royalties have is different from what we Kni ght gets to see. We only have a taste of the life most commoner will never have.”

“Why would there be a restriction on love?” Krystal said with a sad expression.

“Well, I don’t know how to answer that. Love is difficult when lives are at stake.”

Minzy’s words left Krystal in a daze. She never thought about how

It was noon when Krystal returns back to the castle. She and Minzy made it back to her bedroom without anyone suspecting them being gone. Waiting for them in Krystal’s bedroom is Victoria. She sat sipping tea as she was waiting for Krystal’s return.

“Welcome back. Since when did you return back so soon.” Victoria said.

“Ms. Song I…” Minzy attempts to say before Victoria cuts her off.

“There’s no excuse for your action. You could have endangered the princess.” Victoria yells. When she turns to Krystal she gently said, “Princess where have you’ve been all morning. I was worried sick.”

“It’s my fault.” Krystal shouts. “All I wanted to do was see the world outside the castle walls. The world I would never have seen if Minzy didn’t bring me outside of the castle.”

“It must be Minzy that gave you that idea.” Victoria said.

“No.” Krystal said firmly. “I gave her the idea and motive to take me outside.”

Ms. Song looks at Minzy and said, “You’ll be relieved of duty at the end of the day.”

 “Stop and listen!” Krystal shouted.

Surprise Victoria turns her attention to Krystal. “I’m doing this to protect you.”

“To protect me from what?” Krystal shouted. “All you’ve done is preventing me from learning anything outside the castle walls. Is my life meant to become nothing but a wallflower?”

The room grew awkwardly quiet for a few seconds before being broken by Victoria’s words. “You are more than a wallflower. You are the symbol of a country, born from a bloodline that is meant for the people to praise and look up to. That is what you are, the symbol all women dream of becoming.”

“I don’t want that kind of life.” Krystal complains. “I want to be something more.”

“You can be nothing more than what you are born into.”

“Don’t take this out on Minzy.”

“I’m sorry Princess. Minzy your duty have been restored. Don’t mess this up again.”

“Thank-you Ms. Song.” Krystal said happily.

“I’m sorry but Princess, your action will cost you something far more important than love.” Victoria sternly said. “It will cost you everything you have.”

 

The rest of the day Krystal didn’t do anything on her schedule. Victoria wanted Krystal to reflect on her action that could cost Krystal’s place in the castle. Despite the things Victoria wanted to get, she sacrifice love so that she can serve the princess without any form of hesitation. Everything Victoria does is out of love to protect Krystal.

For that day Krystal was able to see a new side to Amber and her whole perspective on life. Despite Amber being from a wealthy family, Amber was able to get along with anyone she was with. The only person Amber hasn’t been outwardly friendly towards was Krystal because she is the princess. Krystal couldn’t accept the fact that her being a princess has caused Amber to treat her far differently than other people around Amber.

Amber would be back soon but Krystal doesn’t know when it would be. Knowing that Amber isn’t around when Krystal is feeling awkward to face Amber gives Krystal a sense of security. Krystal can’t let go the fact that she wants love more than anything. Her beating heart for Amber won’t go away because it is against the rules. She want more than anything to follow her heart since it is the first time in her whole life that she wanted something and someone to the point where she is more than willing to give up her position as princess so she can obtain it.

 

From the Author: Writing this story is so hard.