Chapter 3: Birthday Gift

The Ice Princess and Her Knight [On Hold]

The last two months Krystal has been spending her time eating dinner in the garden when the weathers allows. She spends a lot of her free time watching the Knights marching by to see if Amber was among them. For the last months she has been studying the names and faces of aristocrats. When she mastered that, Victoria made her study again so that Krystal can remember them instinctively.

In just a few days it will be Krystal’s birthday. For two whole months and Amber is nowhere to be seen or heard. Even when the maids volunteer to look for Amber, they still came back with no news of Amber.

“What am I going to do?” Krystal said as she pace back and forth in her room. Turning to her maids Krystal looks at them with eyes of sad puppies. “Do you think I’ll ever meet that knight again after my sixteen birthday?”

The answer was clear. There’s no chance that Krystal will meet that Knight again unless a miracle occurs. A sudden knock on Krystal’s door surprised her. Seeing that it was Victoria behind the door made her smile.

“Ms. Song.” Krystal said walking up to her and hugs her. “I haven’t seen you for two weeks. Do you have good news?”

“Yes.” Victoria smiles. “Do you want clues to what your parents are giving you for your birthday in a few days?”

“I better not.” Krystal said with a tone of disappointment. “Last year they got me a dress.”

“This year is your sixteen birthday. It’s going to be different. It’s going to be more extravagant than any other year before it.”

“That’s what I’m worry about. I don’t want just something extravagant. I want something that can’t be bought with money. I want my parents to spend my birthday with me.”

“You should be happy then. Your parent is planning on a special gift.”

“Is that the clue you were talking about earlier?”

“Yes. Do you want to know?” There’s excitement in Victoria’s voice.

Krystal pauses for a moment before responding, “No I want to be surprised.”

 

During the last month, Amber has been preparing for an event hosted by the King and Queen for their daughter, Princess Krystal. At the end of the day Amber would come home exhausted. They have been drilling Amber on faces of nobles and nobles of allies Kingdoms. Then Amber is to learn about the schedule the whole castle is running on in order to maintain security. In such a short time they expected Amber to know rules and customs of the people living in the castle.

Amber finds herself spending less time wearing her full suite of armor and more time wearing a specially made uniform for her. What Amber knows about the uniform is that it is different from the other Knights in the castle. Though the armor is heavier, the clothes Amber would be wearing will need more maintenance. She keeps finding herself less and less time to work out.

 “What am I getting myself into?” Amber lays down on her bed exhausted and it is only eight pm. “The prize is me being involving with the King’s and Queen’s Ballroom party for their daughter.” She sighs. “The things royalties do to us commoners. Tomorrow and I’ll be a nobody.”

 

Finally Krystal’s birthday arrived. Woken up by the sounds of music playing, Krystal finds her new gift in her room. A large rectangular box that is big enough to fit a person inside, standing six feet tall (1.8 meters). On the very top is a beautiful bow wrapped in beautifully decorated paper. There’s something about this gift that was different than any other before it and Krystal couldn’t hold back her excitement.

“Open it.” Krystal said as her face brightens up.

Victoria came in and saying, “Dress up before you can receive your gift, orders from the Queen.”

“I understand.” Krystal said still feeling the excitement.

After an hour of preparation for dressing, finally Krystal is able to open her gift. She is wearing a beautiful white and gold dress with a fluffy skirt and beautiful detail designs. The maids starts opening the present, laying bare the box underneath held together with a rope.

“Go on. Pull that string and you’ll see your gift. I’m sure you’ll be happy to see it.”

Slowly Krystal pulls the rope and Victoria quickly pulls Krystal away from the box. As the box is free from the ropes restraint, it started to open up itself revealing the content inside it. To Krystal’s surprise it looks like a human size doll, a beautiful prince charming of her own. The most surprising part of it was, it looks striking similar to Amber.

“This is my gift.” Krystal walks up to take a closer look. She touches the doll’s right cheek only to find warmth. Surprised her she walks back losing her balances.

“Princess.” A hand caught Krystal with hands and another wraps around her waist, it was the doll. The doll turns out to be an actual human being. The voice oddly sounds similar to Amber.

Krystal couldn’t help but murmur, “Amber?” Her heart was racing and her face began to turn flush red.

“I’m sorry for the inappropriate distance I have put myself in front of you.” Amber kneels down on one knee. “Let me introduce myself. I am Amber J. Lui your Knight and servant. Here to protect and serve you. Princess, your order is my command.”

Krystal is so shock at the coincident she is left speechless. The King and Queen couldn’t have known she have a growing fondness of Amber. Seeing Amber as her prince charming was the best gift she could wish for.

“Excuse me princess.” Victoria said. “He is your personal Knight. A striking coincident I might add.”

“T-thank you for saving me from falling ungracefully to the floor.” This is all Krystal could muster to say.

Victoria turns to Amber and said, “Can you excuse the princess for a moment?”

Amber left the princess’s room to wait out in the hallway. Once Amber was out of Krystal’s sight, her knees became weak and gave way underneath her. She covers her cheeks that are heating up.

“Princess, are you okay.” Victoria said as she waives to the maids to get water.

Krystal nodded obediently and said, “I’m just a bit fluster.” She drank some water and asks Victoria curiously. You knew about this?”

“Not completely. I know that the King and Queen were planning on an extravagant gift for you, also that they held a large competition in search of the perfect knight. I never would have thought they put those two together.” Victoria looks at Krystal. “Are you happy he’s closer to you now?”

“I-“ Krystal couldn’t answer Victoria.

“If you keep acting like this in front of your Knight, the King and Queen might just take him away.”

“I don’t want that.”

“Then remember, you can have him by your side as long as both you and him don’t fall in love with each other. At the very least, don’t show how much you love him in public.” With a sadden face Victoria said, “Remember, you can have the Knight by your side, but you can’t marry a Knight for love.”

Before Krystal could answer, there’s a knock at the door. It was Amber. “Princess, it is time for your breakfast.”

Breakfast is being served and Amber was busy watching the surrounding observing for anything out of the ordinary. Krystal slowly eats her food as her eyes follows Amber’s every actions. When their eyes meet, Amber smiles gently as Krystal slowly looks away hoping Amber didn’t realize her face was growing red.

 

After breakfast, Krystal heads back to her room to prepare for her big party. Victoria pulls Amber to the side and said, “If you ever hurt the princess you will face hell from me.”

“Wait Ms. Song!” Amber said. “What do you mean by that?”

“I mean what I said.”

“They haven’t told you, then, I guess I have to. Can we go to somewhere private?”

They went to an unoccupied tea room. Victoria was hesitant but feel the need to trust in the King’s and Queen’s choice of Knight.“So. Speak up.”

“I am female regardless of how much I resemble a male.” Amber said. “Since you are close to the princess, you have to know that. Also I will have four other knights accompanying me to protect the princess until she gets marry.”

“Why go through all the trouble to hide the fact that you are female?” Victoria said interrupting Amber.

“I was never hiding my gender. My name is Amber.”

“You act so much like a man.” Victoria argued.

“That’s part of my personality.” Amber pulls out four photos. “These are the Knights I have chosen to help guard the Princess with.”

Victoria eyes widen when she saw the pictures. One of the Knights resembles that Knight who caught her when she tripped.

“Ms. Song?” Amber said. “Do you know one of these Knights? They are my most trusted companions.”

“No, sorry. I was distracted by how you are such a capable woman among a male driven occupation.”

“Thank you for your time. I will take my leave and head off to my other duties.” Amber said as she got up to leave. Just as Amber was walking away, she stops and turns back to face Victoria to say, “If you want to see one of my companions, you will soon enough.” Amber left to perform her duties, security for the Princess safety.

 

_ _ _

From the Author: Realistic drawings takes so much time to draw. If you like the story tell me. If there's something you don't like about the story, tell me. Please comment.