Chapter 5

Ex Imperium: Exemption

Inna, Luhan, Yongguk, Himchan

“We need to pry these doors open,” Yongguk told. Luhan sat on the floor, inspecting his ankle while the other tried to find something useful.

“Hey, I found food! Pizza!” Himchan yelled out and although Yongguk was starving, he knew he couldn’t risk it.

“It might be infected, Himchan,” Yongguk said and Himchan huffed. He was starving.

“I found a crowbar. Can you break the car window?” Inna asked and Yongguk went to her. In the backseat was a crowbar and they spotted a first aid too.

“Wait-is that…” Inna frowned as she saw a body on the driver’s seat. “Is he…dead?” she asked, fear creeping in her body.

“Let’s hope he stays dead,” Yongguk grumbled, taking off his jacket, leaving him in a black wife-beater.

“Wait! What are you doing?” Inna asked, her face was flustered at the sight of the man’s biceps. Yongguk was clearly a man who took care of his body, and at this kind of time, it was really advantageous.

“Breaking the window…” he said and glanced at Inna’s reddened face. He cracked into a gummy smile when he saw how flustered the woman was. “Why? What were you thinking?” he teased and Inna looked away.

“Just get the crowbar and the first aid,” Inna told, trying to cool down.

“Yes, ma’am,” Yongguk replied cheekily as he wrapped his elbow with his jacket. He smashed the window with his elbow before grunting in pain.

“Are you alright?” Inna asked worriedly when Yongguk rubbed his elbow.

“Yeah, but that looked real easy in movies,” he muttered and Inna giggled. “Yah, don’t laugh,” Yongguk scolded as his face turned red. His heroic act didn’t work out as he wanted but he unlocked the car and took the first aid and the crowbar. "Got it," he said.

“Where’s Himchan?” Inna asked suddenly. She turned around and saw Luhan was still resting at the same position but Himchan was nowhere to be found.

“Aish, ,” Yongguk said as he ran to Luhan with Inna trailing behind him. “Where did Himchan go?” Yongguk asked the actor.

“He went over there. To the construction site,” Luhan said weakly.

“Inna, stay here with Luhan,” Yongguk ordered, handing her the first aid kit. He sent her a sharp look when he saw she protested.

“You can’t go in there alone! Who knows what those construction workers/zombies had in stored for you!” she argued. Although they had just met, she had started to care for everyone. All of them were her friends, how can she let them be in danger?

“And you can’t leave Luhan alone here,” Yongguk said and Inna finally nodded.

“Be careful,” Inna told and Yongguk nodded.

“I’m sorry,” Luhan told the man meekly and Yongguk waved his hand dismissively, before going to the construction site.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Inna had fallen asleep on Luhan’s shoulder, and was startled at the loud sound coming from the warehouse.

“What was that?” she asked Luhan.

“I don’t know,” he replied silently.

“How long had I been out?” she asked, as she stood up.

“Just a few minutes,” Luhan told and made a gesture for her to help him up.

"Are you okay? Inna asked.

"Yeah, thanks," he said reffering for bandaging his ankle.

"No problem," Inna replied, looking at the construction site worriedly.

“There’re someone in there,” Luhan stated as his ears picked up the sound of footsteps.

“Are you sure they’re not zombies?” Inna asked and Luhan nodded. “Hello!” Inna shouted, banging on the tinted windows. “We’re out here!”

“Inna,” Luhan growled softly and she turned to him.

“What?” she hissed, before noticing the pure fear look on the actor’s face. Three zombies who were working at the construction site were walking toward them and it seemed like more would be coming.

“We have to go,” Luhan said, trying to limp further away from the zombies.

“What about Yongguk and Himchan?” Inna asked. The door to the warehouse slid opened and both of them sighed in relief at the sight of STA uniforms. One of them quickly shot the zombies down and turned to Inna and Luhan.

“Are you two alright?” he asked in Chinese and they nodded.

“We have another two friends with us. They went that way,” Inna quickly told.

“Sungmin, Heechul, follow me,” the leader said and went to the construction site.

“LUHANNNN!!!!” Ty Lee’s squeal broke the silence as she ran to him and hugged him. “I cannot believe that you survived!” she said excitedly and Luhan just mustered a smile.

“Thank you, uh, nice to meet you…” he trailed off and she looked at him before realizing he was asking her name.

“Oh, I’m Ty Lee,” she said with a wide grin. “You look so handsome in real life,” she said shyly and Luhan scratched his neck awkwardly.

“Thank you,” he said and Ty Lee muffled her squeal of excitements with her hand.

“Alright, let him go,” Tao growled before tugging Ty Lee to come to his side. Ty Lee pouted at the loss of contact and glared at her boyfriend. “I’m Tao,” he said.

“Luhan. And this is Inna,” Luhan told.

“Inna?” a familiar man’s voice asked her. Her heart skipped a beat. Right, he was in STA. She never knew she will meet him again, not after the night. Slowly, she turned to the man.

“Donghae,” she acknowledged and silence filled in. It wasn’t an awkward silence, it was more than that. She was having mixed feelings, between happy to see him again, sad that they were no longer together, glad that he was okay, heartbroken when she realized it was her choice, longing to be in his arms again, and the list went on.

“I’m glad that you survive,” Donghae said after a while and she nodded.

“I’m glad to see you again,” Inna said hesitantly and he looked at her. His deep brown eyes search for hers and she felt him looking into her soul. Donghae was always the romantic one. He was always sincere in whatever he was doing. When he accepted her request to break off, he only did that as he was sure she would be safer that way. He thought she would be happier that way as she was the one who asked for that.

“Me too,” he told.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yongguk spotted Himchan quickly, and saw a zombie walking toward him. Himchan was busy searching for something useful and didn’t realize the zombie. Cursing Himchan in his head, Yongguk grabbed a brick and sneaked up on the zombie.

“MA!” Himchan screamed when he heard Yongguk hitting the zombie’s head.

“Stay alert,” Yongguk hissed at Himchan and Himchan gave him a grin. “Let’s go,” Yongguk said.

“Stop!” A voice commanded and the two men stopped at their tracks. “Have you been bitten?” he asked.

“No, we have friends near the warehouse,” Yongguk told and they lowered their firearms.

“Good, we already called help. Follow me,” the leader said and they regrouped with the survivors.

“Sir, we can’t bring the survivors to JeraQ building. Not after knowing that’s what causing this to happen,” Kyuhyun told. “We can’t risk the survivors to go any near to the building.”

“Then we have to tell them to come here,” Heechul said.

“I think we can get into this building, use the stairs,” Donghae said, pointing at the building next to the warehouse.

“Alright, Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Heechul at the front. Donghae and I will guard you from the back,” Hankyung said.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

H03

“It’s clear!” Kangin called out.

“Come,” Yesung said, helping Heeyoung up. The four of them walked through the door nd found the exit.

“Whoever did that, I’m going to kiss her,” Kangin said and Yesung laughed.

“Was it you?” Yesung asked Kibum.

“No, please say no,” Kangin said desperately and Heeyoung laughed, before flinching at the pain from her wound.

“No, it wasn’t me,” Kibum said. “The chopper’s here,” he pointed out.

“Thank God!” they muttered.

“Where are we heading?” Kangin asked.

“We’re meeting the others at JeraQ. They say that might be the cause of this chaos,” Yesung said, reading the notice that he received. “They found a cure for Alzheimer and it went wrong.”

“If we can get the sample, we can find the antidote,” Heeyoung said, looking at Yesung meaningfully and he nodded with a small smile.

“Wait, I thought the antidote is already found? The anti-virus launching?” Kangin asked, confused. The two members of the Organization looked at each other guiltily.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“WHAT THE HELL?” Eunhyuk yelled, shoving Leeteuk while Siwon ran his hands over his face in frustration.

“God help us,” he muttered before looking up to Leeteuk.

“We found the cause to this, I say we head there ASAP and give the Organization the sample and they’ll make the antidote,” Leeteuk said rather calmly.

“The anti-virus that we gave to those who were bitten? What was that?” Siwon asked.

“It works like antibiotic, it kills the virus. That’s why it only works if the virus had just entered the blood vessel. If the victim has been bitten for too long, the virus duplicates and once it enters the heart, it would be too late. The victim turns into…a zombie when the virus has damaged all the neurons and taken control over his brain,” Leeteuk explained.

“You said there’ll be anti-virus launching. What was that? A lie? An assurance?” Siwon asked and Leeteuk shook his head.

“It’s true, it’s just not the way you think it is,” Leeteuk said coolly.

“What do you mean?” Eunhyuk asked.

“We’re going to use nuclear to destroy the virus,” Leeteuk stated calmly.

“Oh my God,” Yeonjin who had been listening gasped.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“You’ll be sent to the HQ and The Organization will take you to have some tests. We’ll meet again and I hope you have a safe journey there,” Hankyung said to the survivors.

“Don’t cry,” Heechul and he glared at Heechul earning chuckles from the survivors and the members.

“We’ll meet again, please take care of yourself. Don’t let this thing wound you. Let this experience strengthen you. You are one of the survivors. I'm proud of you,” Hankyung said and saluted them. They saluted each other before the survivors thanked the STA members and headed into the chopper.

“Inna,” Donghae called. She felt her heart stopped at the pain in his voice. When she turned around, she never felt so heartbroken. His face was tormented, and when he looked at her, he had to look away, or else he’ll break down.

“Please take care of yourself!” Inna said, and broke into sobs when she hugged him close to her. They had lived without each other for a year and a half, missing each other and praying that the other will be safe and happy when both of them were hurting.

“You have no idea how glad I am. You’re safe, you’re going to be safe,” Donghae said, kissing her hair. “I love you,” he uttered the three words and felt his life was completed. If he was to die in this mission, he wouldn’t mind. He knew that Inna was safe.

“I’ll wait for you,” Inna said, releasing him and kissed him full in the lips. The kiss was more than passionate, as they knew there was a chance they wouldn’t see each other again. She tried to imprint the taste of his lips against her, the salty tears, the warmth of his touch in her mind.

“Come back safely,” Inna said and Donghae kissed her forehead. He let his lips lingered there, showing how much he loved and cared for her.

“I can’t promise that, but I’ll try my best,” Donghae murmured and Inna tried hard to smile. “Go,” he told her, before kissing her one last time.

“I love you,” she mouthed when she turned around to look at him one last time.

With all the survivors inside the chopper, the chopper headed to the HQ.

“I’ll see you again. Hopefully,” Donghae prayed.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I’m sorry for not updating, I was writing part by part and got stuck at Himchan and Yongguk. Blame them for blocking my inspiration! Now, I’m so sorry to end Inna and Donghae love story here, but in the epilogue the couple will be there again.

Wolflaire: I love you. I’m sorry I couldn’t include you here but I think it’ll be nice to end the chapter with Inna and Donghae.