Chapter 4

Ex Imperium: Exemption

Alpha Team H01

“Are you alright?” Ty Lee asked Sunye who looked so pale. Sunye just nodded her head silently.

“Is it only LingZhen?” Jia suddenly asked.

“I’m sorry?” Hankyung asked, as he didn’t hear her question.

“This…thing that happened, is it only in LingZhen? Or is other region infected as well?” Jia asked and Hankyung nodded.

“We’re not sure if it’s an accident or not. But yes, it’s only LingZhen,” Hankyung said solemnly.

“Do you remember about what I told you? That they found the cure for Alzheimer?” Fei asked Jia quietly.

“What?” Kyuhyun, who had sharp ears asked.

“My mother’s a chemist. She’s involved with the project,” Fei explained briefly.

“Do you know where her workplace is?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Yes, it’s at Hua Lien street,” Fei told. “JeraQ Corporation.”

“Sir?” Kyuhyun turned to Hankyung. They had to get to the bottom of this.

“We have survivors,” Heechul reminded knowing that the younger man wanted to go to JeraQ.

“Guixian, we need a chopper for the survivors. Tell them to meet us at the top of JeraQ Corporation,” Hankyung gave the order.

“Copy,” Kyuhyun replied and started working on his laptop.

“If you don’t mind, I’d like you to go with us,” Hankyung told Fei who nodded hesitantly.

“I’ll go with you,” Jia said and Fei smiled, mouthing ‘thank you’.

“Hey, there’re survivors,” Ty Lee who had been watching the town with binoculars said.

“Seen. I’m finding a place to land,” the pilot told.

“Oh my God, it’s Luhan!” Ty Lee gasped. “How do you zoom this?” she asked but before she could get another look at the famous actor, Tao snatched the binoculars away. “Hey!” she slapped his arm but Tao ignored her protest.

The chopper suddenly dropped, making the girls yelped in surprised. “What’s wrong?”

“Something’s wrong, sir!” The pilot said.

“I know something’s wrong, idiot,” Heechul said, standing up and walked to the pilot.

“Fasten your seatbelt,” Hankyung ordered and everyone fastened their seatbelts. Heechul saw Jia was struggling and helped her with it. Looking up in surprise, Jia smirked.

“Thanks, but I got it,” she repeated his words making him to roll his eyes. That girl.

“H01 is malfunctioning, over,” Kyuhyun said to his codec.

“We’re crashing, hold on tight.” Sungmin said and they closed their eyes at the impact. Everyone had their eyes closed as they prepared for the fall, and prayed that they would survive. After a few crashes, they could feel the chopper being dragged before it finally stopped.

“We’re alright!” Min said and they could feel the ground shook before it crumbled, bringing the chopper down with it.

“It’s stopped. Alright, ladies first,” Hankyung told as he unfastened his seatbelt.

“My hurt,” Ty Lee muttered, earning a chuckle from Tao. “And what are you laughing at, mister?” Ty Lee huffed and walked out of the chopper.         

“Where are we?” Jia asked as she massaged her sore arm.

“It’s some sort of warehouse,” Ty Lee said, looking around.

“Is everyone good?” Sungmin asked and the girls nodded. Heechul handed everyone a 9mm gun, with spare ammo. “We hope you wouldn’t have to use this,” Sungmin said before starting to tell the survivors how to load and use a gun.

“Just bring what you need,” Hankyung shouted.

“Henwook is dead,” Donghae announced grimly at the death of their pilot. “He hit his head,” he explained before anyone could ask.

“Let’s just get somewhere safer, this place looks like it’s about to fall,” Heechul said.

“It’s better if we go down,” Seulong suggested.

“There’s the exit,” Kyuhyun nodded and the rest followed him tiredly.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Alpha Team H03 – National Library

Yesung, Kangin, Kibum, and Heeyoung had entered the secret door, flashlight pointed and gun readied. Heeyoung entered the control room and rushed to the panel.

“Someone’s been here,” she muttered.

“Kibum,” Yesung called him over and the youngest male quickly headed to the panel, taking a seat.

“Hey, look at this,” he called for his team and typed on the keyboard. A screen appeared, showing the data of the experiment titled AZ1702 and the record. “It was a cure for Alzheimer.”

“And it went wrong,” Kangin said.

“Heeyoung, send the data to The Organization. Kibum, send this to HQ,” Yesung ordered. As soon as he said that, Kangin groaned in pain, he was shot in the back.

“What the hell?” Yesung cursed, aiming his gun at the air vent, but no one was there. He cursed under his breath and turned his attention to Kangin, who was groaning in a great pain. Yesung ripped Kangin’s shirt to see the wound and frowned.

“It’s not a bullet,” Yesung said in realization. Kangin started to hyperventilate and Yesung ordered the two to do their work quickly.

“Hang in there,” Yesung shouted at Kangin who was sweating and grunting in pain. Yesung injected the injured STA member with the anti-virus.

“Room 003, lock opened,” a woman’s voice echoed as soon as Kibum sent the files to the HQ.

“What in the world…” Heeyoung trailed off as she could see a silhouette of a man, walking toward them slowly. Heeyoung stood up and pointed her gun at the man. “FREEZE!” Yesung did the same, while Kibum was working on the data.

“Hello there,” the man’s deep voice said. He had a sinister smile on his face and his dark eyes were glinting mischievously. He seemed to be no older than any of them, with a good looking face, Heeyoung had to admit. He was tall and wearing all black. “It seems like your friend is injured,” he said silkily, nodding at Kangin who was lying on the floor, still as a statue.

“Who are you?” Heeyoung demanded, throwing all the thoughts about the handsome man in front of her.

“The question is, ‘what did you do’,” the man replied back and as if on cue, Kangin started gasping for air. Heeyoung stood on her ground, watching the man while Yesung rushed to Kangin.

“Are you okay?” he asked and Kangin nodded.

“Yeah,” Kangin replied, his voice was dry and his whole body ached.

“What games are you playing with us?” Heeyoung asked and the man’s lips curved into a smirk.

“A dangerous and a tricky game,” he replied nonchalantly. He looked at his watch and turned to them. “So, which one of you is the wolf?” he asked. Heeyoung frowned and glanced at Yesung.

“What are you talking about?” she asked.

“Which one of you is the wolf?” he repeated slowly and clearly, observing everyone’s face.

“Who are you?” Heeyoung asked again and he smirked. His movement was too fast, and by the time they realized what he had done, it was almost too late. The mysterious man had shot Heeyoung, missing her heart as Yesung had been rather sharp, and pulled Heeyoung to the side. The man was gone the next second he pulled the trigger.

“No, don’t chase him!” Yesung yelled at Kibum. “Send the data to the HQ!” He yelled. Kangin had opened the first-aid and injected Heeyoung with a serum to minimize the bleeding. 

“You’ll be fine,” Yesung assured Heeyoung. He lifted her shirt and saw the wound in her abs and quickly fished out a tweezers. He injected her with painkillers and gave her something to bite. “This is going to hurt,” he warned and Heeyoung rolled her eyes at his remark. She was in pain and Yesung should just get it done.

“Room 002, lock opened,” the woman’s voice said again and Kangin quickly rose to his full height. He didn’t feel dizzy anymore and he aimed his rifle to the door. Growls were heard and a bunch of scientists walked toward them. They were dead, but walking.

“I’ll take care of these bastards, you take care of her,” Kangin told Yesung. As Kangin shot the zombies down, and Kibum sending the data to the HQ, Yesung was digging Heeyoung’s flesh to get the bullet out. Heeyoung’s head was light, her eyes were blinded with tears from the great pain and she tried to stay awake.

“Don’t you dare to close your eyes,” Yesung threatened her softly, panic and worries could be heard at the edge of his voice. Once the bullet was out, Heeyoung breathed heavily, before pulling Yesung into a quick kiss. It was dark, so no one could see them blushing but that didn’t mean their kiss couldn’t being seen. Kangin rolled his eyes in disgust and finished the last wave of zombies.

“I’m done, we should go,” Kibum said and Yesung pulled Heeyoung to her feet.

“Let’s go,” Kangin said but found the door was locked. They couldn’t go out the same way and they didn’t want to take the risk searching for the rooms. Who knew what else was stored in the room?

“Room 006, lock opened,” the same woman voice said robotically and they held their breaths as the door slid opened. They reloaded their firearms and waited. Ten seconds passed and nothing.

“I’ll go,” Kangin said and headed to the room warily.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Alpha Team H02 – UITL

“We have a situation,” Yeonjin said over the codec and the Alpha team’s hand quickly flew over the earpiece. “Someone had hacked The Organization and delayed the antivirus launch.”

“We have it under control,” Siwon reported as the survivors from the university climbed into the choppers. “But the antivirus needs to be launched.”

“We’re working on it,” Yeonjin said.

“Can you try to find the hacker?” Eunhyuk asked.

“We tried but he’ll delete our data and crashed our system. We can’t take the risk to try again,” Yeonjin said with a sigh.

“You tried your best,” Eunhyuk tried to comfort her.

“What about the underground route?” Leeteuk asked.

“The only underground route has been infected too,” Yeonjin reported.

“Then we’ll take them by choppers,” Siwon said.

“Move faster!” Shindong ordered to the survivors.

Leeteuk’s phone vibrated and he fished it out of his jacket.

From: Nana

To: Leeteuk

HJ got the wrong wolf.

Leeteuk’s jaw clenched as he read the text and typed his reply.

“What’s wrong?” Zhoumi asked the older man.

“Something,” Leeteuk replied curtly and turned his back on the Chinese man. Zhoumi turned to Siwon and glanced at Leeteuk sceptically.

“Sir, don’t you think Leeteuk is being rather suspicious?” he asked in Chinese, knowing the older man wouldn’t understand them if he was to hear them. Siwon remembered that Leeteuk’s cold eyes when taking a bitten human life and looked at Zhoumi.

“Keep an eye on him,” Siwon muttered under his breath in Chinese, and Zhoumi nodded.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

National Library

The tall blonde woman’s hands moved quickly over the keyboard and her head snapped at the sound of the programmed voice.

“Room 002, lock opened.”

Nana snapped the notebook shut and slipped it into her backpack. She bit back a sigh before crawling through the narrow air vent. She then pushed the air vent cover, and slid down smoothly.

She read the text from Leeteuk and took out the notebook again. After hacking through the system for a short while, she heard the familiar voice again.

“Room 006, lock opened.”

She kept the notebook away and sent a text to Leeteuk.

From: Nana

To: Leeteuk

I’m taking care of it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

JeraQ cafeteria

Kirsten ran a hand through her thick copper brown hair frustratingly. She turned to look at the student who was sipping the caramel latte that she had made.

“There’s no signal here. I don’t reckon we should get out of here to find help, right?” Kirsten asked the student slowly in Chinese.

“No, we should stay!” Kyumin answered hurriedly. She had encountered the zombies and if it wasn’t for the beautiful barista over here, she wouldn’t be breathing right now. Hell, she might have walked as one of them right now.

“I know they are sending help…” Kirsten muttered and headed over the window. She peeked through the blinds but saw only chaos.

“The Wi-Fi’s gone!” Kyumin wailed and Kirsten looked a bit alarmed at the younger girl’s sudden change of attitude.

Well, kids these days are ready for zombie apocalypse but can’t go a minute without the internet.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I’m still alive and breathing! I was just caught up with school activities and competitions. Thank you for applying! And welcome to the story!

smhaera as Choi HeeyoungYesung (you guys freaking kissed! Be grateful to me, woman!)

ayakasakagami as Lee InnaDonghae (They’ll meet on the next chapter!)

kyjinky as Kim YeonjinEunhyuk (It’s hard to make them meet >< I’m sorry I’ll try my best)

tiggersup as Mai KirstenKyuhyun (Thankyu for applying!)

wolflaire as Cho Kyumin (Kyu’s sister) – Sungmin (I see what you did there! Haha^^ Thankyu for applying!)