Snow in the Attic

Snow in the Attic

 

                Han Mihyun looked up at the house from the passenger seat of the car she was currently waiting in. Her boyfriend had gone in ahead of her to check in with the owner. It was almost nine o’clock at night, Christmas Eve. She’d come here with her boyfriend, Kim Joonmyeon. After dating for nearly a year they’d finally managed to make time in their busy schedules to spend a holiday together. He’d taken to planning everything. Mihyun swore she’d never seen someone work so hard to plan something in her life.

                Snow was falling all around gently, blanketing everything in white. The smoke from the western style house’s chimney, the lights in the windows, the whole place practically sang old country home. The closest neighbor was some twenty minutes away. While Mihyun had some reservations about coming so far out (they had to take a train and then rent a car to get here) she’d willingly agreed since Joonmyeon had worked so hard to arrange everything. However, she was really beginning to regret the decision now that she was actually at the house. When Minhyun had told her friends about this house…

                “Really? Mihyun-ah, you know that house is haunted?”

                “They say a girl died there.”

                “She especially hates happy couples…”

                Granted Mihyun believed her friends about a far as she could throw them. She wouldn’t put it past them to say things like that right before her trip just to make her paranoid. It was silly. However, being in front of the house now she really had to wonder if there was any truth in what they were saying.

                Something tapped on the window next to her and Mihyun let out a startled scream. Joonmyeon jumped back a little from the window at the sound, equally as startled.

                “Sorry,” he said after opening her door, “I called you a few times but you didn’t hear me. Ready? The owner is leaving now so we’ll have the house to ourselves.”

                Mihyun nodded and got out of the car, her feet crunching into the snow audibly. As he shut the door for her Mihyun suddenly regretted not packing a warmer jacket or her ear muffs. It felt much colder now that they were at the house than when they left. She even forgot her gloves.

                Suddenly she felt something wrap around her head and then neck. Joonmyeon stood in front of her, quickly wrapping his scarf, a well-used but soft brown and tan striped thing, around her neck and making a quick cowl to cover her ears. Satisfied that her ears and neck would be warm, he then took her hands in his also bare ones and brought them to his lips where he blew his warm breath on them.

                “Sorry. I didn’t think it’d be this cold.”

                “It’s fine,” Minhyun immediately reassured him, blushing a little at the small act of affection, “really.”

                Smiling, he released one of her hands only to take one immediately afterwards and began to lead her to the house. An elderly woman passed them as they reached the door, smiling and wishing them well before going to her own car (the owner, Minhyun assumed). As they entered she was greeted by the scent of apple and cinnamon. The house was warm, lit by some candles and a fireplace. A green Christmas tree had already been set up in a corner with boxes of what she assumed were ornaments next to it.

                Joonmyeon offered to take her jacket, to which Minhyun complied, however when he tried to take the scarf she playfully pulled away and stuck her tongue out at him.

                “Mine.”

                He rolled his eyes in mock annoyance before walking to the tree and inspecting the ornaments. The box was a nice mix of gold and wood ornaments. Each looked old and well used, but that seemed to give them a certain amount of charm. As he began taking them out one by one, Mihyun found a place next to him and took another box that had a roll of Christmas lights in it.

                “These look old too. Is it safe to use them?”

                “The owner said they used these for years. I’ll plug them in. Pick out the ornaments you like,” he got to his feet, taking the box of lights, and began looking for an outlet. Mihyun picked up the first ornament. It was what looked like an old, tarnished photo frame. The glass was covered by a thick layer of dust. Looking over her shoulder at Joonmyeon (he was muttering angrily at the lights once he realized they were all kinds of tangled and knotted) she took the edge of the scarf and gently rubbed the dust away. In the frame was a picture of a pretty girl (no older than Mihyun). How old were these ornaments?

                “Where did these all come from?” She asked him after setting the picture aside and considering another one.

                “People leave them as they pass through,” Joonmyeon explained, triumphant that he managed to untangle the mess.

                Mihyun nodded mutely and continued to pick through the ornaments. Joonmyeon chose that moment to begin placing the lights around the tree.

                “You missed a spot.”

                “What? Where?” He stood next to her, “No I didn’t.”

                “Yeah, right there.”

                “That looks fine.”

                “How about we make it look perfect?”

                “That space is going to bother you for the rest of our time here if I don’t fix it, huh?”

                “Yup.”

                Finally after an hour the tree was up. Eagerly Joonmyeon dimmed the lights. With an expectant smile direct towards Mihyun, he plugged in the lights…only for them not to turn on. He unplugged it, tried again, same result. For the next few moments they both were checking the bulbs, looking for the culprit that had gone out. Why did old lights always do that (all of them go out when only one was REALLY burned out)?

                “Aha!” Mihyun said victoriously when after she tapped one of the lights all of them seemed to magically spring to life. Together they stood back to examine their work. Despite the age of the ornaments and the less than spectacular display of lights, it really felt like a scene out of an old movie. She was sure this was the kind of scene someone would take a photo of and put in a magazine…and when Joonmyeon slipped his hand around hers she was certain this moment should be replayed in some romantic drama somewhere.  However...

                “Oh no,” she groaned, releasing his hand reluctantly, “we forgot the star.”

                Quickly Minhyun fished the gold and glass star from the box and scrambled around looking for a chair or something else sturdy to stand on. Instead she felt Joonmyeon suddenly lift her up, ignoring her surprised protest, and soon she was on his back. Even though he wasn’t the tallest boy she knew they were still just tall enough for her to place the star.

                “Careful,” he cautioned. Mihyun nodded and had just placed it when she felt Joonmyeon begin to waver. Before she could warn him to hurry and let her down he toppled. Mihyun yelped and they collapsed onto each other.

                “Are you okay?!” He asked frantically even though he was the one who took the brunt of the fall, Mihyun having landed on top of him.

                “I’m okay…”

                “Good,” he leaned up to kiss her on the forehead before wrapping his arms around her and hugging her tight, “now I have you where I want you.” Mihyun felt her face flame up in a blush. Sometimes Joonmyeon surprised her. Despite her embarrassment Mihyun made herself comfortable and tucked her head under his chin. They were quiet, listening to the wind outside. This was nice…

                “You know,” he whispered to her, “we haven’t had much time together lately, and sometimes it can be a little hard on you. But, I really do lo-OW!” her boyfriend yelped when he moved a little to make himself more comfortable.

                “Are YOU okay?” She laughed a little while getting off him. He sat up and cringed in pain, rubbing his hip, “Baby get hurt?”

                “Oh be quiet,” he sulked a little, “owww, I think I bruised my hip.”

                “Alright old man,” she laughed at the face he made at her, “shall we…” Before she could finish the lights suddenly blinked out, “Ah!”

                Plunged into pitch black dark initially Mihyun was almost blind. She immediately reached out and felt Joonmyeon take her hand. She was pulled along and after a moment her eyes began to adjust to the darkness. The moon outside providing just enough light, they made their way to the kitchen where Joonmyeon fished out a couple of flashlights from a cupboard. Just before Minhyun could turn hers on she saw something move nearby. Or rather, she felt it. It was that feeling when someone right next to you quickly moves away…like a change in pressure or a gust of air near your face. It was hard to describe…and the dark figure that moved near the staircase didn’t help…

                “Mihyun?”

                “Ah!” She spun around, covering to muffle the scream. Joonmyeon smiled apologetically, the flashlight causing shadows that made his usually handsome face seem sinister, “here.”

                “Thank you,” she took the offered flashlight and immediately turned it towards the staircase.

                Nothing.

                “You okay?”

                “Yeah,” she mumbled still staring at the staircase. What was that?

                “Help me light the fire?” He asked, taking her free hand. She nodded, still glancing over her shoulder once in a while. He did most of the work, Mihyun too distracted to be of any real assistance. A feeling of unease had settled in her mind. When Joonmyeon would ask her something she’d merely nod or make a “uh huh” or “mm hm”. What was that…?

                “Mihyun, if you’re mad at me I’d like to know,” her boyfriend suddenly said. Mihyun shook out of her trance and looked at him. He’d just gotten the fire started and looked a little sad, though he kept smiling, “you seem like you’re in a bad mood.”

                “I’m just…” Mihyun trailed off. She didn’t want him worrying over nothing or worse thinking she was being paranoid for nothing, “…it’s a little spooky in here with no lights.”

                Understanding immediately crossed his features and he scooted to sit next to her. Wrapping an arm around her and pulling her close. She sighed and rested her head against his shoulder, watching as the fire grew. The brighter it became the more the disquiet in her settled. The room was soon bathed in warm light from the fire, the aroma of burning wood and the cracking and popping of it soon filled the home with that comforting feeling again.

                She felt him kiss her temple gently, catching her attention. She looked up ot him and he smiled, the scarf around her neck.

                “You look good in my clothes,” Mihyun arched an eyebrow at him and immediately Joonmyeon blushed and tried to recover, “that sounded bad, real bad. You know what I meant!” Snickering, Mihyun silenced him by kissing the corner of his mouth quickly. Before she could pull away his hand caught her chin, tilting her face back up towards his. Mihyun closed her eyes when he drew near, expecting the kiss that felt long overdue…and they both jumped when a loud crash resounded above them somewhere.

                “What the,” Joonmyeon immediately stood, “you heard that right?”

                “Joonmyeon,” Mihyun held onto his arm, “let’s forget it.”

                “Sweetie we need to find the fuses anyways. The owner said they were upstairs and if anything happened we would just need to go on up. You can wait here if you want…”

                “No,” she said definitively, turning her flashlight back on, “I’m coming too. No way are you leaving me down here alone for a ghost to find me.”

                “Is that why you’ve been brooding? Scared of a ghost?”

                “Stop you,” she shushed him as he , “Let’s just get this over with.”

                Carefully they made their way upstairs, Mihyun looking around uneasily. She still remembered the dark thing she’d seen and the loud crash didn’t exactly do much to make that feeling go away. The upstairs definitely did not match downstairs. The pleasant, warm feeling was replaced by cold darkness that their flashlights had to cut through. And when they arrived at the door that led to the stairs for the attic…

                “Do we really need to do this?”

                “Yes,” he sighed, clearly not liking the idea any more than Mihyun. He turned the knob and after what seemed like a moment of hesitation opened the door. A cold gust of air blew pat them, making Mihyun shiver.

                “Really?”

                “Yeah,” he sighed again before they made their way up the stairs.

                The attic was exactly what you’d expect one to look like. Boxes, old chests, wardrobes, cloth covered mirrors, if they could think of it, it was there. Another crash made them both jump and brought their attention to the source of their fear: a circular window had blown open, snow flowing in. Breathing in a sigh of relief, Mihyun walked to close the window while Joonmyeon located the fuses.

                After shutting the window and securing the lock she turned to rejoin Joonmyeon but her foot hit something buried in the snow that had blown in. She knelt down, shining her light, and pulled out a broken photo frame. The glass fell away in shards, the photo following. It was an old decaying thing, but Mihyun could make out a note on the back of it.

                “…Take…me…back…?” She read aloud. She frowned and flipped the picture over. It looked like it was of a pretty girl and a handsome boy.

                “Aha!” The lights suddenly flickered on, “Found them!”

                Setting the picture down, Mihyun was quick to join Joonmyeon and they rushed downstairs.

 

                Mihyun shook awake from where she’d dozed off on the couch in front of the fire. Yawning, she realized she was in darkness, only illuminated by the dying firelight.

                “Joonmyeon?” She called out, pulling out her phone to check the time. 11:49pm. Her boyfriend was nowhere in sight. The spot next to her was still warm from where he’d obviously been, the blanket wrapped around her still.

                “Joonmyeon?” She called again. Still no answer. Finding her flashlight she stood, keeping the scarf wrapped around her neck. The house, despite the dying fire, felt unbearably cold. Her breath was coming out in white puffs. Mihyun called for him again and again received no response. Feeling a little frantic, Mihyun took to searching all of the downstairs. When that proved fruitless, she immediately rushed up to the second floor.

                “Joonmyeon!” She cried out in panic. As if on cue the door to the attic suddenly blew open, icy wind flowing out enough to nearly knock Mihyun off her feet. Fighting her urge to run out of the house she shone the light up the stairs. From her vantage point it seemed as if it led into nothing. Mustering up her courage, Mihyun slowly ascended the stairs. Each step resounded with a creak. Each step seemed to make the air colder and colder.

                At the top of the steps Mihyun looked around the attic. She quietly called out for her boyfriend and as if acting on cue moonlight from the windows brightened the room. Snow covered everything and Mihyun was shivering. It felt like an icebox. And right below the circle window that was now wide open again, partially buried the snow was Joonmyeon.

                Crying out in panic, Mihyun rushed to him. He was sitting upright, eyes closed. He looked pale and his skin was like ice to touch. Frost was beginning to form on his brows and the tips of his hair. She cried out his name again, shaking him and trying to coax a response from him.

                He was lifeless.

                “It must feel terrible,” a soft voice whispered right next to her ear, “to have the man you love ripped from you.”

                Mihyun slowly turned her head…

                …and met the cold, piercing gaze of lifeless black eye.

                Screaming, Mihyun scrambled away, back against the wall beneath the window. On her knees, a girl paler than anything possibly living stared at her. Her white gown flowed out around her, her hair a long dark veil that only allowed one of her eyes to be visible, and she had a flurry of frost constantly around her. She slowly began to crawl forward towards Joonmyeon. Mihyun felt anger override her fear and she threw herself over Joonmyeon protectively.

                “Stay back! What did you do to him?!”

                “…I took what was taken from me…” The girl whispered harshly, drawing ever closer, “…I waited for him so for so long up here…he left me…for that horrible girl…” Mihyun found herself face to face with the girl she now knew to be some sort of ghost or demon, her gaze filled with hatred, “…since I can’t have what is mine…” She reached out past Mihyun and Joonmyeon’s face, “…I’ll take what is yours…”

                Joonmyeon gasped and at her touch more frost began to form on his skin. Mihyun immediately moved completely in front of him, effectively forcing the ghost to back off a little. Joonmyeon was quiet again, though that brought no relief to Mihyun.

                “…but…” The ghost smiled playfully, like a child ready to play a terrible prank, “…I’m not without fairplay…if you win a game against me…” she leaned forward until Mihyun could feel the cold, harsh breath of the ghost on her face, “…I’ll let him go…”

                “Y-You…” Mihyun chattered, her face beginning to feel numb from the cold, “…pr-promise?”

                “…unlike that man who made me take my life…” She sneered, tossing her head to the side a little so Mihyun had a clear view of the rope marks on the ghost’s white neck, “…I keep my word…but if you fail girl…I take him…”

                Looking back at Joonmyeon, Mihyun didn’t need more than a second to make her decision.

                “Agreed,” she responded, “wh-what is the game?”

                “…that man took something precious from me…its somewhere in this house…you have until midnight to find it…”

                “What kind of game is that?!”

                “…even though he left me, he kept me…he brought me out and hung me up…like I hanged myself…” the ghost motioned to an old clock that immediately began to tick. 11:55pm.

                “Five minutes…five minutes…!” Mihyun sprung to her feet. She began to tear through the boxes, tossing old toys, vanity items, and other bits of junk around. What the hell was she talking about? Something he hangs like she hangs herself?!

                “…tic…toc…”

                “Shut up!” She screamed at the ghost only to have her smile and laugh maniacally. The sound began to fill the room, louder and louder. The ghost was drawing closer and closer to Joonmyeon, slowly rising to her feet, “stay away from him!” Mihyun rushed at her but a biting cold wind forcefully pushed her back until she fell backwards onto the icy floor. The ghost’s cackle continued, nearing deafening levels. Mihyun felt tears begin to sting her eyes…and her gaze fell on the scarf around her neck. On the end, at the corner, was a dark smudge…from where she’d cleaned the ornament with the now familiar girl’s photo.

                Mihyun was on her feet and rushing down the stairs. As she left she glanced at the clock: 11:58pm…

                The fire down below was blazing to surreal proportions, the room an orange glow. The tree seemed to be on fire itself, the lights flickering. Seemingly taunting her, the ornament hung, swaying gently. Without a thought she snatched the offending object, a furious howl resounding through the house as she did so, and turned to run back up the stairs.

                She took the stairs two, sometimes three, at a time. The ornament felt like it was burning into her hand. The wind, cold as death, was whipping her hair around her face, frost beginning to form on the ends. Her fingers, ear, face, all felt numb. Mihyun made it to the attic steps and took those just as quickly…until a patch of ice on the second to top step made her slip and nearly fall in her face.

                Ding….Ding…

                “No!” She screamed in frustration, getting to her feet. The ghost was looming over Joonmyeon, ready to engulf him. With a cry Mihyun threw the ornament at the ghost…hearing it shatter as it hit the wall. With a screech and another loud howling laugh, the ghost spun, her eyes piercing into Mihyun. Before Mihyun could react the ghost flew towards her…and she was engulfed by the coldest darkness she’d ever even imagined possible…

 

                Mihyun sat up on the couch, drying tear trails on her cheeks and her heart pounding. Sunlight invaded her vision. 8:43m the clock on the wall read. Her body shaking, Mihyun stood, wrapping the blanket around her.

                “Joon…myeon…?” She called out weakly.

                “Mihyun? You awake?” She heard his wonderful voice call out from the kitchen, “you fell asleep last night, so we stayed on the couch. How are you feeling?”

                Mihyun wasted no time, she threw the blanket off and literally ran into the kitchen where Joonmyeon was currently stirring something on the stove. She threw her arms around him from behind, ignoring his startled questions, and hugged him tight, burying her face in his back.

                “You okay?” He asked after finally managing to pry her arms off and turning in her embrace so he was facing her, “What’s wrong? Have you been crying?!” He continued in worry, setting the spoon he was using so he could cup her face.

                “Just a bad dream…”

                His brow furrowed in worry he quickly kissed her forehead and held her, her hair. He cooed and hushed her, rocking her a little to soothe her still shaking form. After a few moments of that she felt her heart calm. Satisfied that she would be fine, he loosened his hold on her enough to look her in the face, moving her hair aside with a smile.

                “Better?”

                “Yeah…um, that’s burning…”

                “What?!” Joonmyeon spun around and groaned, “No! I was trying to make you breakfast!”

                After another thirty minutes (Mihyun having rushed off to clean herself up and dress) Joonmyeon had set out a small, modest breakfast. The food smelled delicious, although Mihyun was a little reluctant to try some of it since usually she was the one who did all the cooking. Regardless she ate everything she could, staring at Joonmyeon whenever she had the chance.

                “What is it?” He finally asked after finishing his rice. Mihyun just shook her head and grabbed a piece of egg with her chopsticks to feed to him (and he gratefully accepted it). She wasn’t about to tell him she was trying to memorize his wonderful face.

                “So, I know we said we wouldn’t get presents for each other…”

                “Oh Joonmyeon you didn’t. I didn’t bring anything for you,” she began, groaning. Part of her knew that she needed to bring him something, but she honestly thought he’d stick to the plan and not bring anything.

                “It’s nothing big,” he tried to explain, reaching under the table to produce a small package, “I just wanted to see you open something today. Merry Christmas,” he ended and handed her the gift. With a sigh, Mihyun took the present and ripped into the packaging.

                Within the box was a small stuffed penguin, like something you’d get out of a UFO machine. She brought it out and its fur, feeling how soft it was. Wrapped around its neck was a ribbon that had a handwritten note on it:

                I Love You.

                “Is it…okay?” Mihyun didn’t respond to his question. Holding the penguin close she rose from her seat and strode over to his side. To his surprise she leaned down and kissed him. After his moment of surprise, Joomyeon brought his arms around her waist and returned the act. She broke away for a moment and said against his lips:

                “I love you too,” and then kissed him again. Finally they broke apart and Mihyun took a seat on his lap, taking her chopsticks in hand again, “which one do you want to try next?”

                “That one,” he laughed when she picked it up and tried to feed him, “hey! Careful.”

                “Ah! It got on my penguin!”

                “By the way,” he said after he swallowed the food she just fed him, “I guess that window up in the attic flew open last night. The place is filled with snow.”

                “Sweetheart,” Mihyun added a little too sweetly after setting the chopsticks down, “do me a favor?”

                “Hm?”

                “After we eat…lets go home.” She stated without any room for argument. When he did try to speak she merely popped a piece of fruit in his mouth before getting off and leaving to go pack their stuff, penguin still cuddled close to her.

 

 

A/N:

The Prompt!

Bias: Suho (but use Joonmyeon as his name ^^)

Name: Han Mihyun 

Words: scarf, penguin, ghost, game, breakfast

Merry Christmas!!

To: Yixicorn

From: hiikyoung

 

...those words should have made for a fluffier fic...