Chapter 1

The Broken Crystal

 

Krystal’s POV

~~ding dong ding dong~~

It’s been the second time that I rang the bell of my house. Usually, they open it at the first time. As they don’t open, I take my back bag and start to search every corner. Ah ha! I found them. They were between my notebooks. When I was about to open the door, it opened. It was Jessica.

“Yahh, why do you take so much time to open a door” I yelled.

“Shhh, there is some guests” she respond, quietly.

“Who?”

“I don’t but mom told me to tell you to go change into a dress and to join them in the living room. You will have dinner with the guests.”

I take my shoes off and go upstairs in my room. If Jessica doesn’t know who the guests are, I probably don’t know it either. But why would my mom want me to change into a dress? I wear dresses only in special occasions. I’m not the type of girl who wears short skirt and dress that reveals her curves. Or may I say I’m not like Victoria, the ‘queen’ of my school, which every guy envies. I more like a tomboy, I love wearing jeans (duh who doesn’t?) with sweaters. I think that it’s why no guy approaches me, I don’t show enough skin. Never mind, I wear my black dress, well it’s the only one that I have. I think that I grow up since Christmas; the dress stopped right on my thighs and became tighter. I am going to stay at home so it doesn’t bother.  Anyways, I let my hairs on my back and go downstairs in the living room.

“Oh baby, you are finally here. Come and meet our guests or may I say your guests!”  she said to me with a big smile on her face. But wait, what did she said? My guests? Why would they come for me? Apart Sulli, my only and best friend, no one has come in my house. As I approach of where they were I could see clearly three people sitting next to my parents. Two of them look in mid-forties, they look as happy as mom. However, I couldn’t see the face of the guy; he was texting with his phone.

“Welcome, nice to meet you!” I bowed to them with a smile, not as exaggerate as my mom’s. The couple bowed as respond with another smile. Ehrr! Why do they keep smiling!? It’s so creepy! But wait! The dude with black hair continues to text and he didn’t even matter to bow me! So an impolite person!

“Hey! Say hi to Krystal, she is to one.” He’s mom ask him. What did she say? She’s the one What does that mean? Please someone explain me what is happening here!

“Hi Krystal!” he said coldly lifting his head up so I can see his face. Oh, I wish I didn’t! As I see his figure, I recognize him immediately. He’s no other than L. Well, it’s his nickname at school. His real name is Kim Myungsoo. His is the jerk of the school, for me. For other girls, he’s the ‘king’.  They keep following and screaming after him with their annoying voice. How I know that? Well, he is in my class! I know him very well; he is a big jerk and a player. I never talk to him except for once. When he sat on the desk beside mine, during the math class.

Flashback

“Euh…sorry! Can I borrow your eraser please? I forgot mine.” Do you know what his answer was? He said with a smirk on his face:  “For sure baby!  Don’t need excuses to talk to me, you know.” He winked at me while he expands his eraser. When I was about to take it from his huge hand, he pulled me by my wrists and whispered: “We can also talk at night. I’m always free!” Hearing those words I froze in my place. Why did he say that, this close? I don’t know why but I swear my heart was about to explode. Before it happened, I push his hand forgetting to take the eraser.

End Flashback

That’s all! Since this day I never talk to him. However, I had so many questions that kept repeating in my head. What does it mean? Why did he say? He has a girlfriend, why he teased me? Yes, he has a girlfriend. Of course, she not a simple and normal girl, like me. She’s Victoria, the ‘queen’ of the school. He’s the king and she’s the queen, what a beautiful couple! Even if he had a girlfriend, he never stopped teasing and chilling with the crazy girls; the ones who wears skirts that barely covers their long legs to attract him. But, I never understood why girls keep fantasying about him; he wasn’t that attractive neither hot. However, he’s cute when he smiles; he always destroys his cuteness by adding an evil smirk at the end.

Anyways, I have to return in the reality and stop thinking of him because I was standing there in the center with a shocked face and could see many eyes on me. I was still looking at him with the same expression when he said with another smirk: “Nice to meet you”

“Nice to meet you too…Myungsoo” I said with a low voice but enough loud for my mom to hear.

“Oh! How you know his name? Do you know each other” she said with a surprised tone

“Yeah…euh…No! Well, we are classmates” I said looking on the ground preventing his gaze. When he started to talk, I couldn’t help but look at him, in his eyes.

“Really? You are in my class? Too bad I never noticed you.” Is he kidding me? How can he never notice me? I know we don’t talk but I know everyone in my class even though we never talked. As I continue to stare at him with a Seriously?!  look, my mom told me to sit down pointing the only available place which was beside him, Myungsoo. I do as I was told with a little sight but I think it wasn’t that little because he turned toward me. He looked at me up and down and turned away after putting another smirk. Ashh! Why does he keep smirking like this?!

“Kids, we had something very important to tell you!” said my mom looking toward us.

“But as I see Mrs.Kim already told Myungsoo. So let say it to Krystal!” she continued with an excited voice. Seriously what’s going on! Why is he here? What does he know but I don’t? Please tell it already!

“Krystal please, listen without interrupting me.” finally she’s about to start!

“Like you know, we lost your grandfather three months ago.” Yeah. I know it very well. I even remember everything of that day. We had a call in the morning telling us that my grandpa had a heart attack and was in the hospital. Unfortunately, he had passed away even before we can reach it. I also remember how my dad was, he cried so much. It was my first time seeing him like that.

“You also know that the lawyer lost his testament that he had written before he died.” Yeah. I also know it very well.

“Fortunately, he called us last week to tell that he found it. He had put it in another folder. So I told him to come and see us as soon as possible. He came during the afternoon of the same day when you were at school. You dad and I read it….and….” she stopped talking doing a sad face.

“And?”

“Well it wasn’t a simple will that he had. To have access to his goods, he requested something.” It’s not like boasting but I have to admit that my dad came from a very healthy family. My grandpa was very rich but didn’t use it. So, we will, I guest! Well, he didn’t have other children besides my dad. But why did he request something? He was always like this! He always loved to complicate things.

“What?” I asked, impatient

“Well…he had a very close friend which was Myungsoo’s grandpa. As we see, they wrote their testament together and had the same request which is…” ash! I can’t take it anymore, I’m being more anxious when she stops talking.

“Say it already!” I said louder forgetting about the guests and Myungsoo

“Which is…to marry each other’s grandson and granddaughter. And like Jessica is still young, you are going to marry Myungsoo which is the only grandson of Mr. Kim.” Wait, wait, and wait! Am I dreaming? Yes,yes, yes! It is definitely a dream.

“WHAT?”I yelled shocked of what I heard

“You hear it Krystal. It’s you only choice and you can’t complain! Now, we will go to eat dinner. Both of you still here and discuss. The wedding is in two weeks so get to know each other!”  said my dad with a loud voice. It was the first time that he talked since I came home. I couldn’t disobey him. I don’t know why but since the death of my grandpa, he became cold and talked rarely. And that was one of the moments that were rare.

So I stayed still on the couch, looking at the parents who were going to the kitchen, leaving the two of us alone in the living room.