01. her birthday

What A Girl Wants

“Where is he?” Gayoon asked, frustrated.

Yoseob glanced around the room, “Well, he’s obviously not here.”

Gayoon narrowed her eyes at the man sitting besides her. “Yoseob…”

“Sorry,” He quickly held his head down, afraid of the wrath the might befall him.

“What are you worrying about, unnie?” Hyuna plopped down beside Gayoon.

“That Yong Junhyung is not here, on your birthday. Isn’t he your boyfriend?”

Hyuna shrugged and smiled, “It’s okay. He’s probably stuck in traffic.”

“Stuck in traffic, my .” Kikwang muttered, taking a sip of his drink.

“Did you say something?” Hyuna looked over at him with expectant eyes.

Kikwang was surprised that Hyuna had heard him and speedily composed himself. “Oh, n-nothing.” He pasted a smile on his face, not wanting her to feel down.

The two idol groups were hanging out at a karaoke bar in downtown Seoul to celebrate Hyuna’s birthday. They had been lucky enough to receive a break from hectic schedules to throw a party for her. All was well, except that a certain someone was missing from the party.

Junhyung – also known as Hyuna’s boyfriend – was late and couldn’t be contacted. It had been an hour and a half, and still he was nowhere to be seen. Even the guys had no idea where he had gone, since he rushed out of the dorm before any of them.

Hyuna glanced around the room, watching everyone happily sing and play. The older men, Doojoon and Hyunseung, were singing and dancing to ‘Gee’, the girls were flipping through the song choices, and the maknae couple were playing with their phones.

“Yah, Dongwoon, you have a message!” Sohyun nudged the man next to her.

“Oh, I do.” He nodded. He kept his arm around her shoulders as he took his cell phone from her and opened the message.

As the couple read the message together, they both had incredulous expressions.

----

“Thank you, please come again!”

Junhyung nodded and left the store, pulling out his cell phone from his pants. “Where’s Hyuna’s number?” He scrolled through his contacts, ignoring the notice that he had missed ten calls from an unknown caller.

After a full five minutes of standing in the middle of the road and scrolling through his list of contacts, he decided to call his group’s maknae.

“Dongwoon-ah, call Sohyun for me.” Junhyung began walking again as he picked up the phone.

“Hey hyung,” Dongwoon greeted from the other line. "What? Why?”

“Because…” Junhyung didn’t really want to tell him that he didn’t have his girlfriend’s phone number. “I need you to tell her something.”

“She’s right next to me.” Dongwoon replied, in the background was a female voice. “Where are you Junhyung oppa? We’re at Hyuna’s party.” Sohyun asked in the background.

Oh crap. That was what he had forgotten. He forgot about his girlfriend’s birthday party. Junhyung was so in trouble. Even Dongwoon was there already! “C-can you tell her that I’m coming? It’s the traffic… that’s right, I’m kinda stuck in traffic.”

“Alright.” She sounded angry. “I better see you in fifteen minutes or else I get Dongwoon to whip your !” Sohyun shouted from the phone.

“Y-yes.” Junhyung hung up. He could feel his heartbeat beating at an erratic pace.

Why didn’t the other members tell him that it was Hyuna’s birthday today? Why didn’t they tell him that they were going to go to her party as well? That was why they were giving him weird looks last night and this morning!

He crossed the road with an armful of branded shopping bags and urgently hollered for a taxi.

Junhyung arrived outside the girl’s dormitory. He stared up at the building in awe. He felt nervous and small. What would he do if she were really angry?

He stopped in front of the building entrance. Was her party even at their dorm? Junhyung panicked and fumbled around in his pants for his phone.

“Dongwoon.” Junhyung sounded dead.

“What is it, hyung?” Dongwoon sounded fine.

“Where are you guys?” His voice sounded like he was close to tears.

Junhyung was pretty sure he heard Dongwoon stifle a laugh. “We’re at a karaoke club downtown. You’re so out of it, hyung!”

“Very funny.” Junhyung laughed sarcastically. “I’ll be there in a moment.”

“I think you better come quickly. It looks like Kikwang and Doojoon are putting some moves on your girl.” Dongwoon reported.

What?” He screamed.

Dongwoon ended the call with an evil laugh.

Junhyung’s heart was beating at an irregular rate again. He felt a wave of anxiousness and anger within him. He hollered another taxi and was off again.

----

As time passed, everyone else was getting quite furious with Junhyung, all except Hyuna. The atmosphere in the karaoke room was quite tense; therefore, everyone was muttering nonsense among themselves.

“Come on, guys. He’s probably… busy.” She tried to reassure everyone and told Yoseob to sing a song to brighten up the mood.

Just as Yoseob was getting into the chorus with Hyunseung and Kikwang as his backup dancers, the door opened to reveal the person they’d all been waiting for.

“H-happy birthday Hyuna.” Junhyung puffed, leaning his arm against the doorframe. He looked like he had been running a marathon.

“Junhyung!” All the members exclaimed. They ran up to him and playfully beat him up.

“We’ll take this.” Yoseob and Hyunseung took all the bags from Junhyung’s hands and pushed him forward. “You go and do your thing.” They nudged him in the direction of the awaiting birthday girl.

Junhyung gulped. He feared for the worse. Hyuna’s expression didn’t tell him how she was feeling. She was just watching him approach with expectant eyes.

“H-Hyuna.” Junhyung tried to smile and settled down besides her.

Hyuna gave him a small smile and sort of looked away from him. Junhyung gasped silently. His eyes darted around the room and landed on the maknae couple. While Hyuna was playing with the song selector, he caught Sohyun’s eye and translated his panic into eye language.

Sohyun noticed the awkward situation between Junhyung and Hyuna. She pulled Dongwoon towards her. Dongwoon seemed to understand what Sohyun’s actions meant and the couple began to role-play.

“I’m-I’m sorry,” Junhyung glanced over to Dongwoon and Sohyun on the over side of the room.

Dongwoon portrayed Junhyung and had an apologetic expression. He mouthed a few words and then took Sohyun’s hand in his.

“I didn’t mean to come late today. It’s just, that a few things came up.” Junhyung felt nervous as he reached for Hyuna’s hand.

When their hands made contact Hyuna looked up at him with a hint of sadness in her eyes. It gave Junhyung a funny feeling in his chest. He frowned slightly. “Hyuna, don’t be sad.” From the corner of his eye, he saw Dongwoon hug Sohyun.

“I’m fine.” She didn’t complain about it, but Hyuna was a bit sad that her boyfriend was the last to show. She couldn’t help but be. She wouldn’t meet his eyes for more than two seconds.

“Um… can I hug you?” Junhyung asked with uncertainty in his voice.

On the opposite side of the room, the maknae couple stared in disbelief. “Did he just ask her if he could hug her?” Sohyun’s mouth gaped open. Then, Dongwoon hugged Sohyun without any notice and surprised her.

Hyuna looked at Junhyung weirdly for a few moments after he had said that. She burst out in laughter. “Aw, you’re so cute!” She pulled him into a tight embrace. “Thanks for coming to my party.”

Doojoon watched the whole scene from his spot while singing. “Oh, do I see Junhyung blushing?” He raised an eyebrow curiously.

“What’s happening?” Kikwang looked in Doojoon’s direction. When he saw Hyuna hugging Junhyung, Kikwang exclaimed with a horrified expression.

Junhyung felt his heart thudding against his chest and a heat on his face. It felt good to hug her. “H-happy birthday.” 

----

Here's the first chapter!

Comment and subscribe please?

JSMPKK - 14/04/11