Chapter 4

We Are KARA!

After the exhausting yet fruitful afternoon, Jiyoung fell asleep right after dinner. She had managed to wake up early for school the next day, after a good sleep. It was such a rare occurrence that Jiyoung herself could hardly believe. Believing that something lucky is going to happen to her, she made her way to school with a hopeful feeling.

Jiyoung had never seen the school so empty in the morning. Making her way to class, she saw someone staring at her poster. As Jiyoung tried to recall when she had seen this girl, the girl spotting Jiyoung, quickly fled towards the opposite direction.

"Jiyoung ssi?"

Jiyoung turned around and saw Hara. "Good morning, Hara ssi. You are early."

"Good morning, you are early too."

"Are you here for morning training?"

"Yeah, I have morning training once a week and afternoon training twice a week since it's off season."

"Wow, that sounds tough, I doubt I can wake up early for trainings." 

"Haha, it's hard sometimes. By the way, I wanted to tell you that if your music club activities does not clash with my training, I will be able to join."

"Really? We have not set any dates for club activities yet so I am sure that it won't clash with your training. When are your training dates?"

"Every Monday morning, Tuesday and Thursday afternoon."

"Noted. I will submit the application for our club this afternoon." 

"Alright, I will go to class first then. Just let me know when we start club activities. Bye."

"Thank you so much. Bye." Jiyoung waves enthusiastically.

"Today is indeed my lucky day." Jiyoung thought to herself.

 

~~~~~


In the afternoon, Jiyoung went to the student council room to submit the application of her new club. Clearly stating the purpose, activities, members, and dates on the paper.

Upon entering the room, Jiyoung spotted the president whom she saw on the first day of school at the table going through some work. Looking around the room, she saw the girl whom was looking at her poster this morning.

"Hello," the girl greeted.

"Hello."

"How can I help you?"

"Oh, I want to submit the application form for a new club." Jiyoung replied, handing her the form.

After scanning through the paper, the girl said "please wait a while" and walk towards the president.

Meanwhile, Jiyoung finally remembered that the girl is called Seungyeon, the top student.

After a few minutes, the president walked over to Jiyoung, "Hello, I'm the student council president, Kim Taeyeon."

"Hello, I'm Kang Jiyoung."

"Jiyoung ssi, regarding your application for a new club, I am sad to inform you that we cannot approve."

"Why? I thought I just need to gather 3 or more members to form a club? And I had done so," Jiyoung asked desperately. 

"Although you have 3 members in your club, I feel that it is a little small if you want to set up a music club that operates like a band. The previous music club was closed down because of too few members, so to prevent such things to happen again, you may want to consider recruiting more members before applying?"

"But it's hard to find members for a new club, plus almost everyone had joined a club by now." Jiyoung pleaded.

"I'm sorry, I can't accept your application now. Please find more members to join before you apply again. Even if it's one more member."

"Then, Seungyeon ssi, do you want to join?" Jiyoung boldly suggested.

"Ey? Why did you ask me?" Seungyeon asked, apparently shocked my Jiyoung's request.

"Because I saw you looking at our posters, and you seem like you are interested."

"I admit that I am interested in the club, but I'm afraid I can't join as I am already in the student council."

"Seungyeon ah, you should join the club" someone interrupted. A beautiful girl walks into the room and sat beside Seungyeon. Jiyoung recalls that her name is Gyuri.

"Why? I can't. I already have student council activities on top of my studies. It's our final year so I have to prepare for our national exam."

"Precisely because it's our final year, you should try something fun. Spend your last year in high school memorably, don't just bury yourself inside these books and paperwork. Plus you are a great singer, I heard you singing when we went to the karaoke together."

"But... But..." Seungyeon stammers, she can never win Gyuri over such things.

"Fine, I will join with you. Since I just quit the debate team."

"What? Why?" Seungyeon exclaimed, overwhelmed by the sudden confession of Gyuri.

"I will tell you the story later. Let's just join the club, it will be fun."

"Wait, let's consider it for a while"

"I have already decided to join. Could you join with me? Please?" Gyuri asked cutely.
Knowing that after Gyuri made a decision she will never break it, Seungyeon relented. "Fine, I will join with you."

"Thank you. Taeyeon ssi, are we now able to apply for the club?"

"Ah, yes. Of course. Just write your name on the paper." Taeyeon was obviously taken aback by the progress.

 

~~~~~


After the necessary paperwork, Jiyoung's music club is finally established.
"Jiyoung ssi, you will be using the music room in the old school building as the club room. It is where the old music club had their activities too."

"Old school building?"

"Yeah, it's behind the gymnasium. Lesser people goes there now, so I think it would be a nice environment for you to practice."

"Thank you very much. I will go take a look now."

"Wait a moment, let me give you the keys" Taeyeon said as she took out a bunch of old keys from the cabinet. "Here is two set of keys to the room. Keep it safe. All the best to you and your club."

"Thank you." Jiyoung bowed and left with Seungyeon and Gyuri to their new club room.