Chapter 5

We Are KARA!

The three girls made their way to their new club room located at the old school building that is currently not in used for lessons. But there are several clubs that had made their base there. It is quiet and clean, although the building is old. A great place for them to start their new club.

"Hello" Hara greeted as she saw the girls approaching. "The door is locked."

"How did you get here so fast?" Jiyoung asked.

"Well, I am not called Goosain Bolt for nothing. Haha, just joking. I was at the gymnasium earlier," replied Hara.

"Sunbaenim, I am Goo Hara," she bowed politely to Seungyeon and Gyuri, as Jiyoung unlock the door. 

The girls could hardly believe their eyes when they opened the door to their new club room. The room is in complete disarray, things were strewn all over the place. It was totally different from the well-maintained corridors of the old school building.

"What is this?" Gyuri exclaimed.

"Hello" someone greeted loudly as she approach. The girls turned to see the last member Nicole rushing towards them. "Sorry, I was caught up in class. Have you guys waited for a long time?"

"We just arrived too" Jiyoung replied as she recollected herself.

"How's the club room? I was so excited when you messaged me."

"Erm... I don't know how to describe it, come see for yourself."

"Oh My Gosh.... It's, it's...." Nicole also could not find the words to express what she saw.

"Yeah, there's no word for it." Gyuri responded.

"I think we should just clean up, since it's already assigned to us." Hara suggested.

"Yeah, let's do it" Jiyoung encouraged the others. Slowly, the girls set to work, throwing away the rubbish and broken items, cleaning the place and music instruments.

 

~~~~~


"Phew, we are finally done." Jiyoung heaved a sigh of relieve after one hour of hard work.

"It's looks better now, but it looks too bare and empty. I think we can decorate it next time to make it nicer." Gyuri suggested.

"Yeah. Some of the music instruments left behind is still in good condition. I think we can still use it. By the way, I have not formally introduced you girls to each other. I am Jiyoung from class 1-6, I will be the guitarist. Nicole, from class 2-1 will be our bassist and she can play the violin. Hara ssi, from class 2-3 will be our drummer. Seungyeon ssi, from class 3-1 will be our vocalist. Gyuri ssi, from class 3-1 too, will be... Sorry, I forgot to ask, Gyuri ssi, do you play any instrument?" 

"Of course, isn't it an requirement to join the club. I can play the piano, so I will be playing the keyboard?" Gyuri answered.

"That's great, we have a vocalist, guitarist, bassist, drummer and a keyboardist. A five member band."

"What's our band name?" Nicole asked.

"There isn't one, we should all discuss it together, as it's our band."

"How about combining our names?" Hara suggested.

"What about something that suggests five person?" Nicole proposed.

"I think let's not rush into the band name, we should take some time to consider it carefully." Gyuri cautioned them.

"Yeah, that's right. Let's just think of a few ideas and decide it another time." said Jiyoung. "For now, let's just chill and relax, get to know each other better."

"Agreed. I am too tired to do anything else." Seungyeon said as she collapsed to a chair nearby. Gyuri joined her shortly after.

 

~~~~~


Meanwhile, Jiyoung, Nicole and Hara went to look at the music instruments they had found when cleaned up the room. 

"Woo, look is this a trumpet?" Jiyoung picked it up and started playing with it.

"Yah... stop, it sounds horrible" Nicole complained.

"Haha, although there is very few music instruments here, luckily they have the basic instruments that we need."

"There is a set of drums here too, Hara ssi, do you want to try it?" Nicole asked.

"The drums look old but is in rather good condition." Hara observed "Let me get my drum sticks"

While Hara went to fetch her drum sticks from her bag, the two girls continue to look and take stock of the other music instruments.

"There is a trumpet, a clarinet, and a flute, too bad we won't be using it."

"Hmm, I wonder if this keyboard still works, we will need it" Jiyoung asked.

"Well, let's try it later" Nicole replied as Hara approaches with her drum sticks.

After Hara settled down, she started to play, slowly at first, testing and getting a feel of the drums. She then gradually increased her speed, her drum sticks flying across the different drums. By the time she finished, her hair was in a mess, which always happens when she plays the drums as she was always too focused to care about her appearance.

"That was brilliant, where did you learn all that?" Gyuri complimented. Gyuri and Seungyeon had walked over when Hara was playing.

"Thank you. I took some lessons a few years ago, but i continued learning by myself. Why don't you play for us too?"

"There is a keyboard here." Jiyoung pointed to the keyboard "let's see if it works"

However, no sound was produced after they set up the keyboard.

"What do we do? It's spoilt but we will need a keyboard for practice" Jiyoung said anxiously.

"Anyone has a keyboard at home?" Seungyeon asked.

"I have a grand piano at home to practise" Gyuri answered when no one replied.

"But we need a keyboard here. Why don't we ask for some funding?" Seungyeon suggested.

"That's right, why didn't I thought of it before. I will ask the student council tomorrow. Why don't we go home now? It's getting late." Jiyoung suggested. 

"When are we meeting again?" Nicole asked.

"Since Hara ssi have training tomorrow, let's meet on Wednesday. Meanwhile let's think of the club name." Jiyoung replied and the girls murmured in agreement. "But I have a spare key here, who wants to hold on to it?"

"I will." Gyuri volunteered, when no one responded.

The girls soon packed up and left the room, feeling jubilant.