Chapter 6

We Are KARA!

Nicole and Hara was waiting outside the club room when Jiyoung arrived.

"Hello," Jiyoung greeted "have you been waiting long?"

"Nope, we just arrived too," Nicole replied while Jiyoung took out the club room keys.

"By the way, about the funding..." Jiyoung stopped mid-sentence while opening the door.

"Oh my gosh" Nicole exclaimed.

"Its..." Hara was interrupted by Gyuri.

"Beautiful, right?" Gyuri arrived with Seungyeon. "We spent the whole afternoon decorating yesterday. We thought that it would be nice to make the room comfortable if we are practising here in the future."

The bare and simple room that the girls had first saw has transformed into a bright and cozy room. The walls are plastered with posters of different singers and bands. At the left side of the room, the music instruments are arranged neatly at the side, leaving some space in the middle for the girls to practice. At the right side of the room, a cozy rest area was set up.

"Come and take a look," Gyuri led them towards the rest area.

"We got these sofa and bean bag chairs from the old library" Seungyeon explained.

"There is a mini fridge too!" Nicole squealed in excitement and rushed to open it. "And it's filled with snacks."

"Seungyeon brought it from her home." Gyuri replied.

"Wow, it must be hard to move it here. It's so heavy." Hara commented.

"Well, we had some help moving it here," Seungyeon said with a twinkle in her eyes, and Gyuri started laughing.

"Look at all these music scores" Nicole pointed out, oblivious to the conversation that had went on, she was exploring the bookshelf at the other end of the room.

"We found these in the boxes we didn't open on Monday. It turns out there are a wide variety of music scores that we can practice on." Seungyeon replied.

"This room is like a treasure trove waiting for someone to discover it. There are so many things we could use," Gyuri said. "We even found a sound system. But we haven't got the chance to try it yet."

"Then let's test it now, I brought my guitar today." Jiyoung pointed at her guitar case.

After setting up the sound system, everyone gathered around Jiyoung, looking at her with anticipation.

After strumming a few chords to test the sound, Jiyoung started to play 'Stairway to Heaven'. When she finished, everyone applauded.

"That was really good," Nicole praised Jiyoung.

"Yeah, looks like we have a great guitarist," Gyuri complimented "and the sound system sounds good too."

"Fortunately, it works. We only have enough funding to buy a keyboard, we will be in trouble if we need to buy a sound system too." Jiyoung informed the girls.

"It looks like we are almost set for an official practice," Gyuri said.

"Yup, so let's have our practice every Wednesday and Friday afternoon. Everyone agrees?" Jiyoung asked and the girls nodded in agreement.

 

~~~~~


During their first official practice, the girls were gathered at the rest area, busily chatting.

"Look at this" Jiyoung took out a poster.

"A high school band competition? Isn't it a little too fast for us to enter?" Hara questions.

"The purpose isn't to win, it's to gain experience. Plus, it's better to have a goal to work towards when we practice," Jiyoung explained.

"It sounds interesting, and it even require us to compose our own song." Nicole pointed out.

"Doesn't that seem too difficult for us?" Seungyeon asked.

"It would be a challenge, but I believe that we can do it" Gyuri said confidently.

"Then let's do this!" Nicole agreed.

Jiyoung pasted the poster on the white board, decorating it with encouraging words.

"We need a band name to register for the competition." Seungyeon mentioned. 

"I have been thinking of some names these few days. I thought of combining our names but it all came out weird," Hara said.

"I thought of stuff that represent 5 members, such as May, Friday, and Pentagon," Nicole added.

"I think that we will need a name that defines the music we play, or the image that we portray," Gyuri suggested.

"Hmm, the image we would want to portray? I feel that we should bring joy to people," Jiyoung voiced out.

"Joy? I like that. I love listening to music that makes me happy," Nicole said.

"Joy sounds good, but isn't it a weird name?" Seungyeon asked.

"What about using another language to represent it?" Gyuri recommended.

"In Spanish, joy means alegría," Nicole pointed out.

"Let me search online," Seungyeon pulls out her phone. "In French, it's joie. It's hard to pronounce. In Italian, it's gioia. In Greek, it's kara." 

"Kara? That sounds nice," Gyuri commented.

"I think Kara is good too," Hara agrees.

"So Kara? Anybody disagree?" Jiyoung asked and everyone shake their head in response. "Kara it is then."

 

~~~~~


"Let's start practice!" Nicole urges and the girls quickly prepares their instruments.

"G.O.D's Road? It's my favourite song." Seungyeon commented when Jiyoung passed out the score sheets are lyrics to the members.

"Really? I really like this song too," Jiyoung replied.

"I heard of them when I was in America too," Nicole answered excitedly and reads the music score. "But, I am still not familiar with the bass, so do forgive me when I make a mistake."

"Don't worry, it's only practice and all of us also just receive the music score. Let's take our time and do our best." Hara encourages.

"Alright, thanks Hara," Nicole smiled in gratitude.

After a few minutes of preparing and setting up, the girls were finally ready to start.

"Let's start" Seungyeon spoke to the mic, and Hara hit her drumsticks together three times to signal the start of the music.

Although their first practice did not progress smoothly, with minor glitches, it was nonetheless a great effort from all and they were extremely satisfied with it.

"That was good. Nicole did really well too, despite only picking up the bass recently." Jiyoung complimented.

"Yeah, it was a great practice, with more practice I believe we can perfect this song." Seungyeon said happily.

"Then, let's try it again" Hara suggested and the girls agreed enthusiastically.