Chapter 3

We Are KARA!

Jiyoung was running late for school as she had overslept. Carrying her guitar, she ran up the steep slope along with a few other latecomers. Halfway up the slope, someone overtook her at an amazing speed. However, the school gate closed seconds before the girl can reach it. She could see the girl stamping her feet in frustration. Huffing and puffing, Jiyoung slowed to a walk and continue her way up the steep slope. 

Along with Jiyoung, the few latecomers had also managed to gather at the front gate. The teacher only open the gates after the first bell rang. 

"It's only the second week of the semester and you girls are already late" the teacher chided. "Before you go to your class, tell me your name and class."

"Goo Hara, class 2-3" said the girl who had ran up the slope at an amazing speed. 

"Kang Jiyoung, class 1-6."

"Im Nana, class 2-4."

After the teacher had finished taking down everyone's name, the students left for their respective classes.

 

~~~~~


"Jiyoung ah, I saw your posters, it was very well made. Have you found any new members to join?" Suzy asked during break.

"Thanks, I found 1 member already, but no one has contacted me so far. But it's only the start of the week, I think people need time to decide"

"Haha thats great."

"Hey, look over there" Sulli interrupted, pointing at a beautiful girl sitting on the bench outside their window.

"What?"

"That girl, she is the most popular girl in our school, even boys from other schools gather at our school gates to peek at her. I think her name is Gyuri, a third year student. Ah look, the girl walking towards her is the top student, called Seungyeon. Oh I think Gyuri is in second place and both of them are best friends. I wonder how the first place and second place can be best friends? Won't they be enemies instead?"

"Sulli ah, you are such a gossip" Suzy said jokingly.

"Well, it won't do us any harm knowing some gossip around the school" Sulli replied sheepishly.

 

~~~~~


Throughout the week, no one had approached Jiyoung asking about the new club she is setting up. Although she saw people looking at the posters, no one had shown any interest in joining. Feeling dejected, she called up Nicole to inform her that she had yet to find a third member for their club.

"Nicole ah, it's been a week and no one has asked to join. What should I do? If I can't find a third member, I can't set up the club."

"Don't worry, I'm sure you will find the third member soon. I will help you ask around if anyone knows how to play the instruments and are interested in joining."

"Thank you, you are the best."

"Haha, no problem. On a side note, I'm thinking that I should probably learn a new instrument for the band. I thinking of learning guitar or bass as they are string instruments which I am more familiar with."

"Really? Won't it be too troublesome for you to learn a new instrument?"

"It's ok, I have been wanting to learn something new for a while. It's a good chance for me too."

"Then, I would recommend you I learn bass as I will be playing the guitar and I think that it will be harder to find a member who play bass than someone who plays the guitar."

"Okay then, I will learn the bass. I'm so excited now." Nicole squeaked in delight.

 

~~~~~


On Sunday, Jiyoung and Nicole went to the music instrumental store to buy Nicole's new bass. They also received free lessons and some books from the store owner.
After spending an enjoyable afternoon, Jiyoung suggested going to the entertainment arcade.

"Wow, there are so many people here."

"Yeah, many people come here during the weekends. Let's play Guitar Hero" said Jiyoung, dragging Nicole along.

"Jiyoung, look over there" Nicole pointed at a crowd. "Let's take a look."

A crowd had gathered around the drum machine where a girl was playing. The girl was playing brilliantly, the drum sticks moving extremely fast across the drums, hitting every note. When she finished the crowd applauded and she shyly took a bow.

Recognising the girl, Jiyoung approached her in a flash. "Hello, Goo Hara ssi"

"Hello, erm... do I know you?"

"My name is Jiyoung, we are from the same school. Actually I would like to ask if you would like to join the music club I am setting up? It is similar to a band and we are looking for a drummer" 

"Ah, I saw the posters around the school, but I am sorry I already joined the Track and Field Team."

"But the track and field team haven't start their training right? It would be a few more months before the season starts" Jiyoung recalled the information she got from Sulli, secretly thanking her.

"Yeah, but I still have to train to prepare for the competition"

"I understand that you will need to prepare, but our club activities won't be held everyday. I'm sure it won't affect your trainings that much, plus it would be really fun." Jiyoung tries to persuade Hara.

"Yeah, it would be really fun, Hara ssi. Please join us" Nicole joined in.

"Please?" Jiyoung tried using her aegyo.

"Give me some time to consider"

"Thank you, please inform me when you make a decision, this is my number" Jiyoung passed Hara a slip of paper with her number written on it.

After the talk Jiyoung and Nicole made their way to the guitar machine, unaware that Hara was looking at them playing.