Chapter Five

| Unfortunate Ones |

 

 

So you could call this a bonus chapter, but it's pretty important i guess, no Jongyu tho lol/;;

 


 

 

U N K N O W N

 

 

The boy from far away always had a blindingly, sweet smile.

“Why does your hair change colour?” The girl from that ran with him always seemed to be so curious with every aspect of his physical features.  The boy should be frightened and shouldn’t feel so obligated to answer her every question, but he was quite used to her now, besides it’s not like she really cares. He beamed at her anyways, no words to say as he rocked back and forth, fingers tightly laced around the chains that held the rotting swing set. Despite receiving an actual answer, the girl persisted to question even further, as if he had willed her to talk more.

“Does it become red when you are happy?” The boy tones down his grin into a relaxed smile and answers her with a soft ‘yes’.  The girl who always had raven strands tumbling down her shoulders gave the questions a rest, pausing at the swing beside the other. Soon afterwards her questions shoot up again. Typical. “Your hair is red now; does that mean you are happy…now?” Her eyes are big and judging, but the boy thinks maybe they are trying to understand. He nods with the same peaceful smile.

The girl’s chapped lips curve upwards soon after as she shifts her eyes away. “It’s pretty,” She murmurs, more to herself than to him. “But, that’s kind of a useless power isn’t it?” She misses the slight fade from red to heavy pink as the boy agrees. He lets go of the swing as he falls to his feet, extending a hand to the other to do the same.

“It’s more of a curse than a power.”

-

 

His hair has faded to a total ash grey, falling shamelessly over his eyes. He sits, rocking back and forth on the palms of his hands, lips pressed tightly together. The hideous chorus of cutlery against food makes the little boy want to disappear.

“Is the food alright?”

At first, the boy doesn’t know who the question is addressed at, but by the two pairs of eyes staring into his soul, he guesses it’s for him. He nods, smile plastering over his lips.

His mother sighs.  “Ah-Deul, where were you at today?”

The boy shifts uncomfortably, all thoughts about actually touching his food vanish. He lowers his eyes, suddenly taking an interest of his shoes.  “M-Mother,” He whispers, “Why don’t we ever, ever go back to Kies? Why don’t we visit any relatives?” Why doesn’t anyone visit us?”

He could have asked so much more, like why his parents are never home, why they are in MainCity when they formerly originated from KEIS, why no one ever spoke about these things and where his mother fly’s off with her pure white wings every day.

But he gulps all his curiosity down as he sees his parents pause and gapes up at him incredulously.

“Ah-Deul,” His father starts after awhile. “You know the answer to these questions.”

The boy thinks he should laugh.

His father is right though, he does know. He knows that his parents work closely with the Honours, he knows that they were the lucky ones, the ones granted Mana, respected equally as deities. He knows why no family visits, he knows it’s probably because family feuds. But still, he doesn’t understand why, why they don’t even try to go back, try to do something, anything.

But he settles with one short nod. “I know.”

He was just hoping he’d been wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One shoe falls off.

The boy nearly slips on the wet floor, one bare foot hitting the ground, stones and rocks ripping against his skin and the other foot feeling considerably stronger.

His breath hitches with every step, cold air pricks his eyes but crimson spreads along the lines of his face.

His heart thuds hard against his ribcage.

-

Both shoes are gone.

One he lost while he was on the furious run and the other he thinks he removed in anger or for more stability, one or the other he doesn’t remember.

Either way both of his feet bleed.

His hair silver, the boy never thought he’d ever muster any courage to do this. He still wheezes even though he had stopped running, and his chest still hurts, the adrenaline’s only kicking in now.

He had just run away from home, at the dead of the night.

Doubt starts to take a hold of his stomach as he thinks of possibilities of his parents finding him again. He harshly grips his hair and he feels his throat clench tighter. No, No, No! He is wrong.

He is wrong.

He will get away from here.

He has to get away.

-

His feet thud against the ground, more blood seeping through the cuts. He hisses as he pulls his hood further down his face. Stolen items intact, a small supply of food nothing much, he will make it out of here.

Anywhere but here. “Hey!” Someone calls out and the boy freezes, feet rooted to the floor. “Hey, little boy,” A slurred voice nears until the boy can hear it right in his ear. “B-Boy,”

A man with hands that looks like they are ready to grab you to the oblivion offers a crooked smile. “Where,” He hiccups, “Where you going?” He doesn’t answer, eyes glazed, hair turning an absolute black. He swallows thickly, tears threatening to fall. Why? Why now?

He finds it hard to breath as the stranger get impossibly close, breath smelling of hard alcohol. “A-Are you going anywhere?”

The question is lazy and simple, it gives the boy enough time to paste his small hands on the man’s chest and push him to the ground with all is might. The other falls with a thud. He limps forward.

Faster.

Faster.

Eyes focused straight on the border, determination running though his veins. Tears smear across his face as he uses the back of his hand to smudge them. His brain fails him but his eyes don’t, as long as he’s over that’s all he needs. That’s all.

Soon, he hears the man heaving, his eyes bulge as he realises he’s being followed.

“You little ! Get o-over here!”

He limps faster.

-

-

He doesn’t know where he is, but he is positive he’s not in Kies.

With his knees drawn to his chest the boy chews his little dinner, cramped against the porch of some apartment. He doesn’t realise he is crying until he tastes salt on his bread. Someone sits at his feet unexpectedly and he almost jumps in surprise. “Hey.”

He is reluctant to answer. He’s had enough of strangers for today but after a long hard look at the person before him, (a female with shaggy clothes, sunken eyes and a small smile) he finds himself answer.

“What is a good looking fella like you doing here?” She coughs almost instantly after her words. The boy shrugs, signalling the stranger that he’s not really keen on conversation. She shifts slightly with a nod. “looks like they are having an argument.” She suddenly says. Only then does he realise that there are shouts from inside one of the apartment houses. He nods slowly, acknowledging her comment. “But tell me this young man,” She says, slowly getting up. “What is your name?”

The boy shifts his eyes slightly, peeking shyly at the woman, “Taemin,” he answers, hair regaining colour to a slight gray.

 


[AUTHORS NOTE]

Short update urgh.