✩ : chapter three。

✩ : come back to me。+ the story continues

 

YOU'VE GOT TO WIN FROM WITHIN

When a man’s in love, he wants to stay by your side
There’s always so much he wants to do for you
When I’m in love, I want to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, your heart
When I’m in love

“Baekhyun, would you buy Ajima milk from the store down the street?” Jinkyung’s mother asks over the speakers blaring INFINITE’s new title song: Be Mine.

“Hah?” The tall male cups his ears, rising from couch.

(“Do you hear me… Do you hear me… oh” Jinkyung sings loudly in horrible English in the background. How ironic this situation is. )

“Milk? From the store?” She makes hand gestures, before grabbing the empty milk carton and shaking it, “No. More. Milk.” Mrs. Jung says as Yunho rolls his eyes.

“You’re pathetic Baekhyun,” Yunho says audibly over the speakers.

“I would’ve heard,” Baekhyun raises his voice, “If Jinkyung wasn’t being an idiot!”

“My sister is just going through a phase.”

“Right,” the younger mutters. “Just like puberty.” (“Can you not.” Jinkyung groans.)

“How about no,” he returns cynically, eyeing her as she walks down the steps. She rolls her eyes.

Jinkyung returns to dancing, her lanky limbs moving ratherly awkwardly to the music: Jinkyung will never be a dancer, like ever.

- - - - - - - - - -

PRESENT DAY 2013.

“Have you heard of the new boy group? They’re sooooo—”

“Save it Jinkyung. We haven’t heard about it, we don’t want to know. And even so, aren’t they like, five hundred years younger than you?” Inguk interjects as Eunji punches his shoulders, narrowing her eyes at him before focusing her attention back to Jinkyung. “You mean, B1A4 right?”

“My little cousin got tickets to see them, she still hasn’t shut up since then.” Jinju says softly, “I think they’re quite adorable.”

Jinkyung nods enthusiastically, clasping her hands together, “I just bought tickets to their concert, they’re so magical and heav—”

Jinkyung,” It’s Baekhyun’s turn to interject, batting his eyelashes, “Not as magical as me right?”

“I can’t believe you actually said yes to be his wife,” Yunho says, looking up from his food, giving judging glances at Jinkyung. Yunho still doesn’t know and still doesn’t want to know what Jinkyung sees in Byun Baekhyun. He’d always thought Minki was a better choice. This was a twist in the plot Yunho never wanted.

“Or his girlfriend,” Kris mumbles stuffing his mouth as Seolju kicks him in the shin.

“Jesus Christ woman—”

“Jesus Christ yourself. You shouldn’t be talking, you're my husband,” Seolju retorts.

Kris ends up choking on his piece of chicken as Baekhyun cackles, “Oh. My. God. You, go girl.” He says between breaths, eyes disappearing.

“You don’t—” (Today’s lesson should’ve been that it is rude to interrupt).

“The Prez has arrived.” Inguk whistles as Youngmi sits down next to Jinju, smiling.

“You haven’t changed a bit President Jung..” Jinju says, patting her shoulder.

- - - - - - - - - -

YEAR OF 1997.

“Why are you even here Jinkyung,” Baekhyun says, “You don’t even like getting up.”

“Oh, shut up. Youngmi said she’ll meet up with me so we can study with Jinju,” Jinkyung rolls her eyes, “Unless you love my presence so much, then I’ll gladly stay to make you happy.”

“Can you not.”

“But I can.”

Baekhyun groans, dragging his face down by the palm of his hands thinking, when did she get so annoying.

They reach the convenience store in silence (—aside from Jinkyung humming the tune of Infinite’s debut song, ‘Come Back Again’, but Baekhyun decides to ignore the fact that Jinkyung at humming more than she does singing).

Youngmi is in front of the frozen food aisle, waving at Jinkyung, papers in her hand. Jinju is behind Youngmi, flashing Jinkyung a small smile. Baekhyun concludes that they’re probably notes from class that Jinkyung missed after catching the cold—courtesy of himself. He feels a twinge of pride because Jung Jinkyung can never get sick, not even that one time from staying out in the rain while waiting for Infinite’s van to come, never. And he knows this personally because he was the one who got sick.

“Looks like you’ve just been dumped.”

Baekhyun reminds himself to buy jingle bells for Minki before he goes into another cardiac arrest.

- - - - - - - - - -

“I don’t even know why you’re dragging me to this concert. You know very well I have work to finish,” Seolju says, feeling another sharp tug on her left arm. She has a feeling by the time they reach their destination, her arm will be dislocated.

“Because Jinkyung is busy and we all know Youngmi is strictly anti-boy groups,” Nana replies nonchalantly, ignoring her petty excuses, pushing through the busy streets.

“If I don’t get an A on this essay, my reputation will be ruined!” Seolju halts in her steps causing Nana to be yanked back rather forcefully. When she turns around, Seolju is has a frown embed on her lips, frustration in her eyes. The shorter girl sighs, waving her free hand into the air.

“Seolju, Seolju,” Nana says, the habit she had picked up from her fellow friend coming through, “Your reputation for being the smartest was already ruined when Yifan decided to become a student here. There’s no point of fighting back unless you can kiss people’s asses better than he does.”

Seolju has the urge to hug Nana because she knows very well that the shorter girl is only trying to cheer her up. She also has an urge to laugh but she suppresses both ideas and just deflates her shoulders. “Fine, but I swear, if you scream in my ear, I’ll never come with you again.”

- - - - - - - - - -

“He’s just so perfect.”

“Who, that kid with yellow teeth? …I always thought you had better standards tha—” Nana digs her index finger on the side of Jinkyung, making the girl howl in pain.

“Ouch!”

“Be happy it wasn’t a fork,” Nana says, “And I meant that new Chinese transferee. Isn’t he just, ugh, I can’t even.”

“I’ve seen hotter boys than him,” Inguk interjects making Jinkyung laugh into her milk.

“Ew, gross, can you not Jinkyung,” Baekhyun speaks up, throwing napkins at her face. He gives her a disgusted look as Youngmi gives her group of friends helpless looks.

“He’s right though, and he doesn’t even like you!” Baekhyun says.

“You’re just angry Jinkyung indirectly rejects your undying love for her,” Nana retorts as Jinkyung starts laughing, snorting in between each breathe.

“Yeah, and Seolju and Kris are getting it on right now,” Jinkyung responds, as Youngmi rolls her eyes.

“Maybe they are,” Inguk says, eyebrows wriggling.

“We aren’t, and you’re gross Jinkyung.” The second best of Busan High comes up from behind them, dropping her textbooks onto the table before settling in between Nana and Youngmi. Jinkyung sends her a knowing look, smirking at the smart-aleck of a book worm.

“Getting defensive are we?” Inguk teases. Seolju rolls her eyes, shaking her head as she opens to the page of assigned homework.

“Are you seriously doing homework due in two weeks,” Jinkyung deadpans. It isn’t a question, more like a statement of really Seolju really.

“Yes, I am. Because I’m not those who do their assignments at the last minute and earn the last place in this school, Jung Jinkyung.”

Nana pouts; she currently—just currently, because she always has a hope to inch her way to higher spots—is just above Jinkyung’s spot in the academic ranking’s. If only she could be like Seolju or Youngmi or Inguk who always maintained a Top Ten spot. She sighs in the Nana-esque, daydreamer kind of way, returning to thoughts of the Chinese transferee. He is handsome, like those models she sees in magazines, but delicately so, not in a masculine way for sure. But it only made her mind go a little bit woozy.

“His name’s Lu Han if you’re ever going to make a move.” Baekhyun stares at his drink almost uncomfortably, but doesn’t spare Nana a glance when he speaks.

“Lu. Han.” He shakes his head, watching Jinkyung bicker with Seolju and Youngmi. He sips his drink, mumbling to himself: “Girls.

- - - - - - - - - -

“Kyori!” Baekhyun screeches, a loud inhuman gurgle emitting from his throat, eyes set wide, arms in the air flailing like a fish deprived from water.

“Oh my God, are they at it again?” Jinkyung says, settling down next to Jinju, a girl she’d only met about twice, once with Kyori and the other with Youngmi’s study date.

“It seems like it,” Jinju mumbles in reply, picking at the sleeves of her sweater. Befriending the group of rowdy high school seniors was pretty much something she didn’t expect when transferring to Busan High. The eleven of them were unusual in their own different but good way. Jinju sighs for what seems like the nth time, parting her lips to ask when Youngmi was go—

“I swear to god Kyori give me back my phone!” Baekhyun yells, tripping over his own foot, struggling to take back what was rightfully his.

“Why should I? There isn't anything you have to hide, right?” She raises her eyebrows in amusement, dodging another of Baekhyun’s attempts.

“You’re just angry no one invited you to the recent Infinite concert last week.” Kyori glances at  him. Touché.

She tuts her tongue and wags her finger in typical Jung Kyori fashion. Baekhyun’s phone is a new model and she’s curious—there is, after all, a full keyboard for texting, whatever that is. Kyori plays around with it for a bit, looking through the texts.

“Is your mom the only person you talk to? Wow, you’re a very lonely person,” she remarks, cackling as Baekhyun makes a noise what seems to be a mixture of a grunt and a whimper.

With shoulders relaxed dejectedly, Baekhyun sighs. She was already putting her nose into his business so there isn’t a point to stop her anymore. He lowers to a seat on the floor, looking through the channels with uninterested eyes.

Kang Jinju follows his movements and feels sympathetic for him, staring at the old re-runs of television shows and music programs. Jinkyung glances at Jinju, patting the girl’s shoulder. “If you’re looking for Youngmi, she mentioned having meetings with the student council and other smart things smart people do,” Jinkyung nods before continuing, “And don’t feel too bad for Baekhyun. This happens a lot, he’ll get over it.”

“She’s getting her dirty fingers all over my new phone.”

“Deal with it,” Jinkyung scoffs. Baekhyun glares at the girl, fighting the urge to roll his eyes.

So much for childhood friend.

- - - - - - - - - -

“I’m assigned to tutor you,” Youngmi says exasperatedly, “Not to fool around. Math is much more important than some foosball game you promised your buddy. Now can we please get back to—”

“I actually want to talk about something else Prez,” Chanyeol says, “Foosball can be saved for next time.” The male has a haughty glint in his eyes, smirk etched on his lips, knowing well how ridiculous it looked on his face.

Busan High’s school president pauses in copying problems from the textbook. “What do you mean?”

Chanyeol leans slightly toward the table. “You know what I mean Prez.”

Rolling her eyes, Youngmi stares at him, quirking an eyebrow. “If this is one of your stup—”

“I’m talking about the concert you attended.” Chanyeol’s face looks way too nonchalant to be deemed natural, “I mean, the oh-so famous president of Busan High attending a boy band concert late at night instead of doing her homework?” Chanyeol clutches his chest and gasps loudly, “Could it be? Is it real? Miss Goody-Two-Shoes is breaking the rules? I guess it’s really happening.”

She’s silent after few moments, each one passing when she takes the information in.

“What are going to do about it then?” Youngmi says. And her tone is awfully calm for person who has her entire reputation on the line. Her reputation is the indiscernible school president and she would play it.

“Oh, nothing much,” Chanyeol says, cracking into one of those simple smiles that were more mischievous than they let on. “Just that there’s more for you to do other help me raise my grades.”

She rolls her eyes, but they stray to his ridiculous smile and she presses her lips together. “I hope you don’t mean anything inappropriate, Park.”

He shakes his head, laughing. “’course not. Prez! I have another thing in mind.”

- - - - - - - - - -

“Ten bucks that—” Jinkyung starts only to be cut off by an annoyed Baekhyun.

“Shut up Jinkyung, I am definitely not making bets with you at this ungodly hour,” he hisses, rubbing his eyes. Maybe pulling an all-nighter to study for their multiple tests tomorrow was a bad idea.

“I swear to god, stop talking you’re both giving me a migraine,” Seolju snaps, eyes skimming the set of problems in frustration. Maybe she should’ve gone home before Jinkyung opened to voice this ridiculous plan.

They can hear Yunho snoring in his room, the sound of the clock ticking and Seolju frantically scribbling nonsense in beautifully written hangul. Jinkyung tries on focusing her attention on her literature textbook, only to groan because ‘English is too complicated.’

“We should’ve invited Youngmi, her notes are much—” organized. Baekhyun yelps as Seolju flings her black pen right between his eyes.

She glares at him before pushing up her reading glasses, “Youngmi was tutoring Park Chanyeol today,” she pulls out a new pen from her pencil bag also wishing that Youngmi was here to neutralize the amount of dumbness in one room but that stay a secret, “I don’t think she can handle any more stupidity.”

“Wow rude much.” Baekhyun mumbles, glancing at Jinkyung who seems to have fallen asleep, and oh God not to mention Jinkyung looks absolutely ador—wait. Baekhyun clears his throat, mentally vomiting because ew gross, he did not just about to call Jinkyung that forbidden word. (There is nothing adorable about Jinkyung falling asleep and drooling on her textbook, and he is reminded of that).

Seolju’s eyes flicker to the sleeping form of Jinkyung and blinks; after numerous all-nighters with her, she was already used to this. “Put her on the bed, she’s wasting the desk space,” and the brainiac returned to scrutinizing English sentences.

He grunted, carrying her bridal-style to her bed. Her room is pasted with INFINITE posters all over. Sungyeol is the main focus and his smiling face creeps Baekhyun out to no end. How does she change her clothes with him staring at her? He sets her on the bed. Probably wants it that way, he concludes and he ends up staring at her. Baekhyun’s gaze relaxes on her face: mouth somewhat open, her hair hiding half her face; he tucks it behind her ear. The lack of sound by pen on paper goes unnoticed by him.

Seolju watches him and smiles slightly. Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun.

 


author note haha 2k+ words of our feels and sweat and our laziness put in this but omg sorry for not updating we've been pretty busy with finals and pretty lazy as well and we both had like no motivation to go on aff or touched this bUT WE'VE FINALLY FINISHED. ok enjoy!!!! and summer is really near for us (well one of us) so we'll try to update more frequently!