Chapter Two

Cho Kyuhyun - The Defenseless Little Magnae

 

Sungmin’s P.O.V

Where is Kyuhyun?

I have to tell him the schedule for tomorrow…or today as it is. Hey, I’d leave that job to Teukie but he’s in a different room and can’t stay awake. So it’s up to me.

Where is Kyuhyun? How can you possibly still be out at 2‘o’clock in the morning?

Late night television but I can’t fall asleep…can’t fall…asleep…

 

_________

I can’t remember how long I remained in that alleyway. I can’t remember if I cried. I can’t remember if I called for help. All I know is, I had to be the weakest person I know. Even Ryeowook might have been able to defend himself in some way. Shaking my head, I stood up and began stumbling my way back to the well-lit street. There was no-one around. The moon was high in the sky so I assumed that it was some early hour of the morning. I walked past many closed stores on my way back to the dorm but refused to glance at any of the windows. I could feel my face stinging but I couldn’t bring myself to examine any wounds. I would clean up when I got back to the dorm. The others should be asleep.

Out of stupidity, I took the stairs. Wincing, I wondered why I hadn’t simply taken the lift. I tripped up the last steps and took a final few strides along the corridor. I dug my hand into my pocket for my keys but cursed when I couldn’t find them. They must have dropped out. Reluctantly, I raised my hand and tapped on the door. I didn’t really want to wake anyone but there was no way I was going to stay out here all night. Nobody had come to the door yet so I tentatively knocked again.

“Alright, alright, alright, aish.” Inside I heard Sungmin hyung making his way to the door. “Annyeong?” He opened the door and peered bleary eyed through the gap made by the security lock. His eyes widened for two seconds before he slammed the door. There was a scraping then the door opened once more.

“What happened?” He asked with wide eyes.

“Nothing. Tell me the others are asleep?” I glanced in the door.

“You are so lucky Teukie hyung has gone to bed. There would have been a commotion if he was still checking all the rooms. Now, what happened?”

“Can I tell you inside?”

Sungmin ran a hand through his already messed up hair. “Yeah, this is your room after all.”

I followed him through to the lounge area where he told me to sit for a second. I looked around and saw a blanket and a pillow lying messily on the sofa. A bowl of chips sat on the table next to it. Some sort of late night game show was playing quietly on the TV. I looked at the clock and saw that it was almost 2:30am. I felt bad for Sungmin let alone myself.

“Sit.” He waved me to sit on the sofa as he came back from the bathroom with the first aid kit.

“Hyung, I’m so sorry. You really shouldn’t have stayed up –” I started to apologize but he merely dabbed at my face.

“Nonsense, this isn’t about me.” I flinched as he touched a tender spot. “What happened?”

“Nothing really.” I shrugged. Sungmin suddenly pulled his hand away and started examining the tissue in his hand quite seriously. For a second I felt panicked.

“What’s wrong?” I tried to see the tissue. Sungmin gave me a skeptical look.

“Am I imagining all this blood then?”

I sighed. Then I regretted it when it hurt. Sungmin was pulling my leg. Haha…not funny.

“I’ll ask again,” He poured some antiseptic onto a bandage. “But if you don’t tell me, I will call Teukie hyung.” Yeah, empty threats hyung.

“It’s nothing big –” I started. Sungmin shook his head and took a deep breath. Oh, he was serious.

“TEU –” He shouted…before I put my hand over his mouth.

“Fine.”

So, there on the sofa, it all came pouring out. Everything leading up to the attack, the attack itself and my reflections on how weak I was. I cried at how weak I was, how it always seemed that the bad things happened to me and I couldn’t do anything to stop them. Sungmin lent me a listening ear the whole way through, stopping only to ask me a question or apologize if he hurt me.

“So, they only wanted a performance?” Sungmin asked when I had finished venting.

“It seemed like it.”

“Yeah, cos’ every fan bashes you up for a performance.” Sungmin muttered under his breath. I didn’t want him having to deal with my problems so instead I yawned.

“Look, if I run into them again, I will deal with the problem myself. I’ll just make sure hyung is near me,” I smiled. “Because you know taekkyon and I at it.” I could see Sungmin thinking for a second, but he simply pinned a final bandage in place and the moment was gone.

“Bed.” He snapped his fingers and pointed to my room. “We have a schedule in the morning and if you claim you’re so fine, you will be able to wake up on time. Go.” I tried to stand up from the sofa but fell back.

“No, I’ve sat down and now my muscles want to stay here. Can’t I just sleep here, hyung?” I tried to use my cute look on him. Hey, I learnt it from the best person…him. Sungmin stared at me for a second before picking me up. Now, I’m not the lightest person in the world and I know it.

“Hyung, put me down. I will try and walk.”

“No,” He puffed. “You said you couldn’t move so I’m carrying you. A bed is better for you than a sofa.” His little body struggled under my weight and I could tell he breathed a sigh of relief when he sat me on the edge of my bed.

“Are you able to get changed at least?” He asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Of course.” I scoffed. He started to walk out the door but as I tried to pull my shirt off, I figured I would need his help.

“Sungmin-ah.” I whined. He spun around at the door and came back in.

“Told you.” He said. I am a huge antifan of skinship and having him to help me get changed was incredibly nerve-wracking. Not to mention embarrassing. I was grateful afterwards though. My body now wanted nothing more than to go right to sleep.

Like a true pumpkin, he tucked me in.

“Kamsah hamnida, hyung.” I said kindly.

Sungmin just smiled at me. “It’s what I do.” He nodded.

The last thing I saw before I closed my eyes was my caring hyung smiling at me.

 

_________

Sungmin’s P.O.V

I look down at Kyuhyun who is finally fast asleep.

Why does so much harm have to come to our little magnae? What has he done to deserve it?

I take his bloodied and torn clothes to the clothes hamper and then look longingly at my own bed. Get a good night’s sleep and forget that your friend has just been bashed up? Or try and find the morons and give them a taste of their own medicine?

Sighing, I grabbed a jacket and my keys.