Chapter Three

Cho Kyuhyun - The Defenseless Little Magnae

 

Leeteuk’s P.O.V

Sungmin and Kyuhyun aren’t usually the last people up. Sungmin’s usually making sure everyone else is ready. Ah well, he could be having an off day.

Why does the place reek of antiseptic? What’s with the bandages? Who’s the mummy?

Who slept over?

So…Sungmin is…not in his room. Hm, bed’s made though. Maybe he’s gone out for breakfast.

So…Kyuhyun is…ah, right here.

 

_________

“Rise and shine!” Teukie threw my bedcovers back with a shout. Behind him Kibum opened the curtains. I rolled over and pulled the covers back up as the bright light flooded into my closed eyes.

“Hyuunngg…” I groaned. “Five more minutes.”

“No such time.” Teukie ruffled my hair. “We have a schedule to keep to.”

I merely groan again with my head buried in the pillow.

“Don’t make me make Shindong jump on you.” He warns me.

“I’m up.” My voice is incredibly muffled.

“What was that?”

“I’m up! Gosh.”

“Two minutes or I won’t be the one coming in here.”

I nod into my pillow and wait until I have heard the door shut. I hope that overnight – miraculously – my injuries have gone away. Who am I kidding? I lift myself up and notice that there is blood on the pillow. All the medications and bandages in the world won’t hide this from the other members. I stretched and groaned as I felt that my muscles had no plan on moving anytime soon. Gingerly, I pulled my clothes on. In the process, I discovered it was hard to pull your pants on without bending your knees. Before I pulled a top on I walked over to the mirror in the bathroom. My arms had bruises here and there; Sungmin had covered up all the cuts.

Bless him.

I looked at my chest. My skin wasn’t looking good; it seemed someone had practically painted me purple. I was amazed nothing was broken. I rotated to see my back. A wonderful looking gash and matching bruise ran across the middle of my back from where I had hit the dumpster.

What freaked me out the most was the sight of my face. How did Leeteuk hyung not see it before? The bottle had done an amazing amount of damage to the right side of my face. Cuts and dents ran the length and width of it. My left eye was all puffed up. A nasty looking mark on the left side of my face was bleeding again.

Giving up my self-examination, I limped out into the kitchen. I grabbed something to drink, I couldn’t be bothered eating. Instinctively, I turned the television on. Technology always helps me for some reason. What I saw however did not. It was a police report.

 “– The attack allegedly took place around 1:00 in the morning. The informant, who refuses to reveal his name and the victim’s name, is said to be a close friend of the victim and is worried for his safety. Police will investigate but are wary to whether this is the truth or just a simple hoax. With no further leads –” I changed the channel just as Sungmin walked in the door.

“Early breakfast hyung?” I asked sweetly. I knew that wasn’t the truth.

“Um, neh.”

“Then why do look like you haven’t slept for say a whole night?” Here were the two of us trying to play dumb.

“I –”

“Sungmin, do I look stupid to you?” I cocked my head. “There was just a police report about an attack that took place this morning and that the informant refuses to name himself and the victim.”

“Well, that could be –”

“Hyung, what other freaking attack happened last night?! Why did you even go to try and sought this out? I told you I would handle it.” Wait, was I getting angry?

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin sounded hurt. I didn’t mean to do that. “I would’ve thought that you would want me to help, if not me then the other members.”

“Yeah, because I really want those idiots to bash all of us up just for a performance.” Kyuhyun you fool, clam the situation down. Don’t fire it up.

“I was just trying to help. If you don’t want our help, I can’t do anything but think that you’re incredibly selfish!” Sungmin started gesturing wildly. He walked toward me. “So what? You think you can defend yourself against this?” He hit me on the head. I swatted him away.

“This?” He jabbed me in the back of the knee.

“This?” Elbow.

“This?” Neck.

“This?” My back.

“ALRIGHT!” I shouted, exasperated. “I know. I can’t defend myself. I’m stupid. I’m weak. I can’t go anywhere without one of you following me to make sure I don’t get into trouble like this. I admitted it, are you happy?” I stared Sungmin down but he just folded his arms.

“I won’t help if you don’t say sorry.” He looked away. How could I make Sungmin out if he didn’t want to? Even if I managed to…I dunno…tape him down to stop him from helping me, the others would not be swayed. Oh man, the brotherly love was choking the air around me. I figured I couldn’t fight against it.

“Mianhae.” I said quietly.

“What?” Sungmin cupped a hand to his ear. “Didn’t catch that.”

“Mianhae.” I sighed loudly. I shouldn’t have done that because Sungmin rushed at me and knocked the remaining wind from my lungs.

“Yay! I get to be a bodyguard!” He squeaked. I patted him awkwardly on the head before attempting to detach him.

“Okay, get off.” He jumped backward with a smile.

“We have to get going now or manager hyung will murder us.” Sungmin pointed out. That was where I stopped.

“Um, there is no way I’m doing a schedule today.” I put my fingers in a cross in front of me.

“Waeyo?” He did not just ask that.

“Maybe because my acne scars will look like beauty spots compared to this.” I moved my hand in a circle around my face.

“Just kidding,” Sungmin laughed. “I’m not blind. But you at least have to come downstairs.”

“Wae?” I was so reluctant to let the other members see me.

“They’re hardly going to believe me if I just stand there and tell them what happened to you. I have a reputation as bad as Eunhyuk and Hangeng put together.”

I balanced nervously on one foot and then the other.

“Oookkaaay…” I said slowly. Sungmin huyng needed no further invitation. He grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the door.

“Move, move, move, move.” He told me as I was yanked down the corridor. I cautiously watched my feet as he dragged me down the stairs at a ridiculously fast pace. At the last few steps I pulled myself from his grip. I could hear my other members talking in the corridor below.

“Do I look okay?” I asked nervously touching my face. Sungmin just raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, none of them would see any difference.” He shook his head before skipping down the last few steps.

“Sungminnie, about time. You’re so incredibly late. We have to leave now.” I heard Teukie hyung scolding the little bunny.

“Yeah your punishment when we get back can be that you clean Ddangkoma’s area.” I heard Yesung pipe up. I decided I would have to save Sungmin from his – if somewhat amusing – fate. I descended slowly down the last few steps and swung myself around the corner.

There was a collective intake of breath from the whole group.