Chapter 2

~Pool Of Tears~

 

 

A/N : Let the adventure begin MWAHAHAHAHA!


*

 


The day which everyone was waiting for finally came. Kyuhyun was going to be released from the hospital’s care and he was ready to head over to his place of comfort…the Super Junior dorms. Leeteuk had been released a few weeks in the past, so everyone was patently anxious about Kyuhyun’s return.

 

He was welcomed back with open arms and warm hearts. Everyone, even Kibum, the usually placid one, was sincerely happy about his home coming. Hankyung, assisted by Kangin and Leeteuk himself, had prepared all varieties of lip smacking, mouth watering foodies. They even prepared some sort of dessert, which seemed kind of Martian to Kyuhyun, and for a good minute or two he was puzzled about whether he should try it or make an excuse, but he gave it a shot nevertheless, knowing that he shouldn’t let the dessert’s taste get in way of the hard work they put in for it and their love for him.

But it was great. Best dessert they had ever made. Actually…it was the only dessert they ever made. But it was still worth the praise.

Most of his time, he spent in his bed. The others wouldn’t let him do a thing. They’d bring him his food, his medications, and everything else that he would possibly need. They even shifted the T.V. into his room. He told Eunhyuk that it wasn’t really necessary, but he would reply saying, “What do you mean by Not necessary? You’d do something, right? You can’t sit here all day and swat flies!” That made him smile. “Thanks” was all he could say in return.

It was Hankyung, Yesung, Sungmin and Ryeowook who spent the most time with him. Sometimes even Donghae. It made him sad that he couldn’t participate in the group activities. Yet. He knew that when he would fully recover he’d give his all into his performances. Not just because he wanted to, but because he missed the feeling of being 13. He missed the feeling of being on stage and having the mic in his hands. He missed the backstage rehearsals, the costumes and the audience. He missed his fans and the way they chanted “Super Junior” and “saranghae”. He missed the feelings that emerged every time he heard those two words together. He missed being a part of Super Junior. And so he knew, he knew that the moment he’d be back on stage he’d want these feelings back. And so he was prepared to give his all, selfishly wishing that he could somehow get all the moments, which he missed in his absence, at one shot.

He didn’t ask for much. He just wanted to be on stage that bad.

 

*

 

Later that night, when he was immersed in his thoughts about how desperately he wanted to sing, he was visited by Leeteuk. Only after Leeteuk was there beside him, did Kyuhyun realize how much he missed his presence. He somehow felt like he had rediscovered Leeteuk during his stay in the hospital. He had always thought of Leeteuk as the friendly-leader type, the one who could lead people without actually bossing them around. But now he felt he knew him more than just that. He now knew Leeteuk had a vulnerable side – a loyal motherly nature inside him – a side he rarely showed. He would worry himself sick even at the slightest pain any member received. He liked that about him. It reminded him of his family. Leeteuk, was a full-fledged family, all by himself. Even being around him gave Kyuhyun immense comfort. He felt like he was in his safe-haven, something he felt for the first time since his life as a member of Super Junior.

Kyuhyun smiled when Leeteuk seated himself beside him on the bed. He shifted giving Leeteuk more space.

“Kyuhyun, how are you feeling? I’m so sorry that I don’t get to meet you often. I wish I had more time for you. Do you feel lonely here?” Leeteuk asked, words saturated with concern.

“Hmm, I’m fine. I don’t feel lonely here. It’s my home.” Kyuhyun smiled reassuringly. But seeing Leeteuk’s solemn expression he could clearly tell that he was not buying it. “Why do you worry about me? I’m more worried about you.” He continued with a slight pout. “You shouldn’t be running around with so many schedules, you know? You still have to recover. Ask Eunhyuk to do that radio thing. You should rest for a while.”

Leeteuk smiled his angel-smile and leaned forward to tousle Kyuhyun’s hair. “Don’t worry about me. I’m fine. I couldn’t leave Hyukjae with that radio show all by himself. He’s still a kid himself.” He patted Kyuhyun’s knee and continued with a solemn look etching on his face, “Kyuhyun, what happened a few months ago was a drastic event not just for us but everyone else present here. You know that right?” He looked up at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun smiled and lay a hand on Leeteuk’s, which was resting upon his knee. “Of course I know hyung. I’m actually glad that it happened. I realized how much I am loved. I never had any clue before.” A faint look of sorrow replaced his smile and he looked down. “Hyung…” he raised his eyes to look at Leeteuk, “I’ve realized how poorly I treated you and the others before this incident. I’ve hurt everyone’s feelings with the way I misbehaved, but you all still did so much for me. I’m a mean, cold, stone-hearted person.” He couldn’t face him anymore. He looked down at his free hand and retreated the hand resting on Leeteuk’s. “I’m sorry. I’m really very sorry…”

Leeteuk was sure that he would tear up any second. Kyuhyun was repenting for his actions. He felt touched and at the same time pleased at the thought that Kyuhyun felt that they were now close enough for him to confess. “Yah Cho Kyuhyun!” he said as if admonishing him. “Don’t you ever say sorry again for something so silly. Have you ever seen us complain about your behavior? Why are you sorry?”

Kyuhyun still had his head hung really low.

Leeteuk sighed and took Kyuhyun’s hand with both of his, “Kyuhyun, don’t forget that we’re your family. You are our little brother. We are prized to have you. Don’t you ever think that you mistreated us. And even if you did, we’d still love you.”

Kyuhyun looked up from his stance in a ‘semi puzzled-semi hopeful’ look.

Leeteuk smiled and said, “What are you so surprised about? It’s not like we can get a new little brother!” Leeteuk winked playfully.

Kyuhyun vaguely smiled.

“Now…you don’t have to worry your little, weary head over nonsensical matters.” Leeteuk got up and lightly forced Kyuhyun on his back, pulling the bed covers on top of him. “You take some rest, ‘kay?” He went past the door and peeked in. “You need something? Water? Tea? Yada yada?

Kyuhyun shook his head lightly, indicating that he didn’t need anything else for the night.

“OK then…Night.” Leeteuk smiled his signature dimple smile, before disappearing behind the door.

“Night hyung…” Kyuhyun whispered to himself.

 

*

 

The thought of being back on stage somewhere soon got Kyuhyun hyperventilated. He was so excited he could hardly breathe. He vigorously shook his head, trying to get the thoughts out. He started taking deep, long breaths, letting the soft rustle of the leaves and the branches outside his window calm his senses. He attentively stared at the patterns the shadows from outside were creating on his ceiling. He looked intently, trying to figure out any signs or pretty patterns. The more he gazed at it, the more lost he felt.

He closed his eyes and sighed in frustration. What a bummer! he thought.

He opened his eyes once more and caught something spectacular, just the second before it disappeared.

“Wait! Was that an ‘SJ’ written?” He smiled, instinctively pointing at the spot where just a fraction of a second ago he had caught that beautiful pattern. He sighed blissfully, fully convinced that this was a sign from God himself, that He was saying that ‘SJ’ was his destiny forever to come. He couldn’t have been happier.

 

As the night progressed Kyuhyun felt more at ease. The wind was doing its charm and Kyuhyun was finally giving in to the comfort. He closed his eyes, still paying attention to the soft murmur of the leaves outside, as a feeling of contentment surged over him. He hadn’t felt like this since that incident and the hospital was anything but comfortable. He’d rather give a million bucks then go back to that place. Every night the scenes of his accident would haunt him, disrupting his sleep and keeping him awake for the rest of the night. He was more than glad to be back here. He wished he could keep this peaceful aura, the soothing silence, this particular moment locked up in a box, so that whenever he felt down he could just open it, pick out the moment, and feel the pleasure he was feeling right now.

He let out a content sigh, slowly feeling the drowsiness resting heavily upon him. He was barely halfway into dreamland when he first saw it. And it was surely the first time when he saw her.

She was cringing in fear, kneeling before a heavy bodied man, the fingers of both of her hands intertwined. She was begging. For what, Kyuhyun did not know.

He had never seen this place before. How did I end up here? He thought, looking around him with thoughtful brows. He felt it before he actually heard it. He sharply turned around, looking in the direction of the man and the girl at his heels, weakly sobbing to herself. He saw the man gradually raise his right hand high up in the air. Kyuhyun felt like he was interfering. He wasn’t supposed to be here. He swiftly entered a nearby room, praying that the man did not spot him. And he felt it yet again.

A throbbing pain in his left cheek.

The man had brought down his hand sharply on the girl’s cheek.

Kyuhyun stood there for a good minute or two, palm on his cheek, staring blankly at the scene before him. What just happened? He thought to himself, the situation registering on his brain in the pace of a sloth – or maybe even worse. He saw the man raise his hand again and slapped the girl right across the other cheek. And he felt it one more time. The sting of the smack lingering on his right cheek.

This has to be a dream. This is not possible. He thought, bewildered by how his own assessment of the situation. Why am I getting hurt? That’s not possible. It must be a dream. He forcefully shook his head, in an attempt to wake up from his dream. He pinched himself – smacked himself too – and then instantly regretted doing so. His right cheek was still tender. He winced at the pain and looked up to see that the man was gone.

But the girl still lay there, on her knees, hiccupping at untimely intervals. After a few somber moments, she raised herself, and Kyuhyun could see the effort she was setting up in doing so. Kyuhyun tried to make out if he had seen the girl before, but nothing crossed his mind. She was not a familiar face to him. He panicked when the girl faced him and hid behind the door, but he was so clumsy in doing so that he was sure that the girl must have caught him. So he did not bother hiding anymore – stepping out in front of her – and mentally prepared for what he was to say if she asked who he was.

But she didn’t.

She walked past him gloomily, almost dragging her feet, not even looking up at him. If Kyuhyun hadn’t moved aside she might as well have walked into him. He looked at her retreating figure and thought that the only thing missing was a rag doll in her hand and she would look like a girl straight out of a horror movie. He mentally smacked himself for the absurd joke. He wasn’t really in a mood for laughter, especially with the bitter pain in his cheeks.

He let out a weak whimper while slowly rubbing his cheek. He saw the girl enter a room and close the door behind her.

Aish~, now how do I get out of here? He thought, dropping his hand to his side in frustration. “WHERE am I??” He almost screamed.

“Kyuhyun, are you alright?” He heard Ryeowook’s voice in the periphery. Relieved, he turned around but saw no one. His brows furrowed. Where IS he? He felt a sharp smack across his face. He closed his eyes in agony and peeked through his slightly closed eyes. He saw a face curiously peering down at him. He almost jumped back in surprise, clutching the blanket, now wide awake.

“Hyung…” He jumped in surprise and looked around him frantically. He was back in his room, on his bed, and the sun was already up high in the clear sky.

He was dreaming.

He turned back to Ryeowook, saying, “You scared me!” he was slightly panting.

Ryeowook looked at him with a mixture of confusion and concern on his face. “You were screaming in your sleep. You scared me!” he said in bewilderment. “Sorry I had to smack you though.” He said, sheepishly pointing at Kyuhyun’s face.

The dream.

It suddenly struck Kyuhyun that it was a dream. He backed a little, a look of annoyance on his face, his brows furrowing in confusion. He didn’t have an idea whether he should be relieved or worried. Or just forget about the whole ordeal!

 It felt so real… he thought, raising a hand to his cheek.

The girl.

Who was she? Why did I dream of her? I don’t even ‘know’ her! Why did she ignore me? How did ‘I’ feel what ‘she’ was experiencing? Was this dream some kind of sign too?

All these questions crossed Kyuhyun’s mind. He didn’t have the answer to a single one.

Ryeowook watched Kyuhyun with curious eyes. “Kyuhyun, did you have another nightmare? Was it bad?” he asked him, anxiously waiting for his reply.

Kyuhyun snapped back to reality at the voice of Ryeowook. He looked up and dressed his face with a fake smile. “I’m fine.” He paused for a while and then continued, “No! Actually I’m not fine. I’m hungry.”

Ryeowook’s face lit up. He totally bought it.

“Really?” he asked with abrupt excitement. “You should’ve said so.” He playfully smacked Kyuhyun’s . “Get up and get dressed. I’ll serve you your breakfast in bed.” He grinned childlike and walked out of the room.

Kyuhyun sighed, grinding his jaws uncomfortably.

It was still stinging.

*