Chapter 9 .

Beauty and the Briefcase
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Jess, where’s the report—Where’s Jess?” Donghae asked Sungmin, who just shook his head in return. Donghae let out a sigh before noticing a piece of paper on the printer. "Oh, here it is."

 

 

 

*Knock knock*

 

“Come in.”

“Ta-da! Look! I add a few pictures here and there in a few pages. What do you think? Great, right?” I wave the finished magazine in front of Donghae.

“They’re fine, Jess.” Donghae said quietly, giving me only a glance. Uh-oh, somebody’s in a mood.

Donghae pull out his drawer and takes out a pink folder and put it on the table.

“My article!” I gasp at the sight of my book. “W-where did you get those?”

“It was sitting on top of the printer. The folder was on your desk." Donghae coldly said, not looking at me. “Donghae, this isn’t what you think.” I quickly grab the folder. “All this time, after everything-“

“Hey Jess, looking great.” Onew suddenly entered Donghae’s room. “Donghae, I already piled the report-“

Donghae stood up and grab Onew’s collar. “You smug little bastard!”

“Woah. I think I’m missing something.” Onew said, shocked with Donghae’s sudden outburst. “You don’t understand. Donghae, the article wasn’t what you think.” I said, almost pleading to be exact. This is not how I want things to be. “Wait a minute. This is for a stupid article?” Donghae let go of Onew’s collar and turn to look at me.

I quickly wiped my teary eyes and look back at him. “It’s not a stupid article! It’s a cover story for CLEO magazine.”

Onew look at both and me and Donghae repeatedly. “I’ll just be in my office.”

“You’re staying right here.” Donghae command which quiet down Onew. I look at Onew apologetically before looking back at Donghae. “It wasn’t Onew.”

“What wasn’t me?” Onew asked confused. One thing I really want right now is Onew to shut up. “It was a fake Onew. I made it up.” I explained ignoring Onew’s question. I make this mess, so I’m the one who will clean it all up.

Donghae snorted and look disgustedly at me and Onew. “Yeah, the between you guys, the chocolate kiss.”

Onew looked surprise as his mouth formed an ‘O’. “We had chocolate kiss?” Donghae looked annoyed at Onew. “Get out.”

“I thought I knew you, Jess. And not to sound too personal, but I really enjoyed working with you. And now I found out everything is a lie.” Donghae looks really hurt as he said those words.

I look down, trying to hide my tears. “Don’t say that. That’s not true.”

“Then what the hell is true, Jess? I hired you. I believed in you.” Donghae half shouting. Thank god it’s lunch time right now.

“And I worked really hard.” I reply, staring at his eyes. Donghae smirked at me. This is the first time I’ve seen him so cold.

“No, you worked hard on your story, on tricking everyone.” He snickered, glaring at my folder which I was holding tightly. “I thought you were becoming a great assistant. But I didn’t know you were hooking up with every guy in the office.”

“I didn’t hook up with anyone! And I did become a great assistant.” I stop and take a deep breath. As angry as I am, I should never let my emotion controls me. “Okay, I learned your hand signals, I studied those tutorials, and I worked late every night and I poured my heart into these visuals. How did you think I managed all this in 2 freaking days? You know what, don’t think. Forget it. Goodbye, Donghae.Nice working with you.”

 

 

--

 

 

I know I’m the one who makes the mess. And I know for goodness-sake I deserves more than a shouting right now. But seeing Donghae looking so cold and distant, that’s the last thing I want to see.

Being home during lunch hour, I never felt so lonely. Tiffany’s must be on lunch date with Siwon. Where’s Jaejoong when I need him?

“Hello. Are you okay, love? You sound like you just finished crying.” So I pretty much decided to call him. Hey, he’s my boyfriend. Of course I will call him if anything happens.

“I just had the most horrible day ever. I just got fired from my job and ruined everything. I want you to just come over and hold me and hand me tissues.” I taking a handful of tissues and wipe my runny nose. I can her Jaejoong’s sigh on the other line.

“I’d love to, Jess, I really would, but I’m actually out of town.” He said quietly. “You are?”

“I had to hop over to Japan. My cousin who stays there falls sick. I’ll be back by Friday. We could pick up some cheesecake and enjoy it in your bedroom.” As much as it sounds suspicious, I’m too messed up to care right now. “Okay. Well, I miss you.”

“I miss you, too. Bye.”

 

 

--

 

 

[Starbucks café]

 

“This is where I first met Jaejoong. I mean, we.” I said, reminiscing my first meeting with Jaejoong. We’re now sitting at the exact same place and exact same time where I spilled my drinks on Jaejoong.

“Tiff, what am I gonna do? I got fired from my job, I let Donghae down, and now my article is dead.” I let out a big sigh.

Tiffany furiously shook her head. “No, it’s not. Aren’t you forgetting about your best friend who vouched for you at CLEO? You can’t just declare your article dead.”

“I know that you vouched for me, and I feel really horrible. Trust me.” I sipped my hot chocolate and let out another big sigh. “But my story was supposed to be about finding love in the world of business, and now the world of business has kicked me out. So now what?”

“Jessie, I told you not to date Jaejoong. I told you not to write lies.” Tiffany looked at me sympathetically. “I know you did. I screwed up.” I was about to avoid making eye-contact with Tiffany when I saw a familiar figure far ahead of me.

 

 

“Jess?”

 

 

“Jess!”

 

 

“I think I just saw Jaejoong.” I gasped. Tiffany looks at me weirdly, as if I’ve just grown another head. “Jess, he’s in Japan.”

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.” I stand up and walk to the familiar figure.

“I’m rather enjoying things in the current state. You feel guilty for making me look as though I’ve wet myself, and now you’ve no choice but to sit here with me till I finish my drink. It’s the only polite thing to do.” Jaejoong smiled charmingly at the girls in front of him.

“Okay, okay, so you spilled a drink on him too?” I asked, interrupting the girl. “Hi, I’m Jessica. What’s your name?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter