II

Familiar Stranger

 

The sky suddenly becomes grey, and the atmosphere rapidly darkens.

“You fell asleep? Again?” a sigh of annoyance escapes Daehyun’s lips. But are those really his lips? Youngjae always wonders. He doesn’t recognize this person. This isn’t Daehyun.

“Hey,” Youngjae breathes softly, “Where’s my ‘good morning’?” He tries to joke his way out of this situation with an anxious smile on his face, in hopes of placating this man. It will work. It always works. It usually works.

Not today.

“Don’t do that,” the man scowls and points a finger threateningly at Youngjae, stepping towards him. He could hear the satoori in his words. Satoori would appear in his speech only when he failed to control himself. This is one of those times.

Youngjae knows Daehyun is losing control. But he can only watch as his significant other descends deeper into the darkness, losing grip on reality.

 Any sign of Daehyun’s happy countenance is completely gone. His face is now full of frustration and irritation. Youngjae gives up and lets out a loud sigh, running a hand through his hair restlessly. He steps off the bed.

“I was tired, okay?” His response came off a lot stronger than he intended it to.

“What?” Daehyun—this person—is incredulous at what he just heard. Youngjae feels his breath shorten.

“Tired? You were tired?” He hissed scornfully, “Don’t lie.”

This is why Youngjae hated this person. Daehyun would never argue with him about petty things like this. Since when was napping considered a problem anyway?

“Yes, I was tired. Don’t you think I would be tired from fighting with you every other day?” he questions the shadowy figure in front of him. “You’re always dissatisfied with everything and everyone.” Youngjae subconsciously raised his voice with each sentence. “I think you should calm-”

“Shut your mouth!” the aggravated man yells as he flings his jacket aggressively at the floor. His voice echoes throughout the room. His satoori is incredibly strong now. Youngjae can barely understand him. A deafening silence fills the room.