I don't need no education

The second heart

Key unwillingly stood up from his bed when he heard his alarm go off. It was the first day of school and even though he was old enough to be prepared he couldn’t help but feel the light butterflies possess his stomach. He was new in town and the only people he knew were his parents and the annoying neighbors across the street. Plus the lady from the store where he bought  the school uniform: white button-up shirt and black pants.  They are pretty skinny for a uniform. Apart from those people Key didn’t know anyone else and his parents were expecting him to jus walk into his new school with a huge smile plastered on his face and make a thousand friends on his first day! That was impossible. Key was obviously aware of the fact that all you had to do in school to become cool was to swear half the time, half of the girls at school, skip school like there is no tomorrow and drink not caring about a thing in the world. Kibum – that was his real name –wasn’t a good boy, but he would never, under any condition would he ever do any of those things. His conscience would never let him. And he hated it. He was never going to become smart – his brains wouldn’t handle the pressure and he was never going to be a bad boy. In the new school he would most likely be a middle-class nobody with few friends and problems with getting a girlfriend. At least so far he doesn’t have a chance to become a total loser.

 

With that “happy” thought Key got up and put on his uniform before heading downstairs. His mom was standing in the kitchen making eggs – he could tell from the smell.His dad was probably already half way to work…. Probably. Key sat down quietly. After sitting for a while he decided to make his presence visible – cleared his throat.

 

“Kibum? You already up? Excited for school?”

“Not really….. But sorta, I guess” – His parents were not to blame for  the way school is nowadays

“You will be when you see the school.”

“Is it huge and pretty or something?”

“You will see.” – His mom smiled while placing a plate in front of him.

“Ok…..”

 

They ate breakfast in silence. What was there to talk about anyways? After finishing, Key placed his plate in the sink and went upstairs to get his bag. The bag strangely enough was also part of the uniform – blue. Kibum didn’t really mind though.

 

Key headed out after kissing his mom goodbye. Their house was pretty close to school so he only had to walk 8 minutes before he could see the building. Not big, not pretty. It was an average bluish-grey building with one floor. Didn’t stand out much. Key signed. This school did not give him any good impressions. It was dull and kinda had a sad feeling to it.

 

The inside of the school was better. He could see people talking and laughing – it looked livelier. He decided to observe the people around him. That was actually one of the things Key liked to do most. He enjoyed looking at people, acknowledging how they act and then try to understand what type of person they were.

 

He saw a girl standing in the centre of a huge group of other girls who were attentively listening to her. She was dressed neatly with all the buttons securely buttoned. Key saw a badge on her and then noticed that all the girls around her had the same badge. Student council? And probably the girl in the middle was the president. She seemed nice but also very calm and in control. A real leader type, huh?

 

Kibum strolled on. He was told to go to the principal’s office to get his schedule. Although he had no clue where the office was located but he figured that if he kept walking forward he would eventually find it. Hopefully.

 

The next victim of his observation became a guy. His buttons were undone, hair messed up and Key could definitely see a scar on his right hand and a hickey on the left side of his neck. A popular bad boy with a big fighting history and all the girls falling for his “charms”.  Key hated such people. Suddenly the guy saw Kibum staring at him and flashed a sympathetic smile. The hell? The guy made his way to Key.

 

“You new?” – was the guy actually trying to start a conversation with him?

“Deh.”  

“Looking for the principal office?”

“Deh”

“Ok. Then it’s right down that hall.” – The guy pointed somewhere.

“Oh… Thank you.” – Key followed the finger with his eyes and saw a door. He was about to walk away when the guy tapped him on the shoulder.

“Hey! Kid, by the way the name is Ok Taec-Yeon.”

“Ok. I am Kim Kibum or Key for short.”

“I see. Well good luck and see you around” – Taecyeon waved his hand and ran into a nearby classroom.

 

The hell? Why was a jock being so nice to him? Aren’t jocks supposed to be bastard? Aish… It would be so much easier if he was mean and Key could easily hate him.

 

When he got to the principal’s office he knocked on the door, unsure if the principal would actually hear him. There was a pause before Key heard a quiet “Come in”. He entered the room and right away noticed the overly-large desk. On a leather chair beside the desk he noticed the principal Mr. Park. He was a middle-aged man with a lot of wrinkles but his over-all aura showed that he was most likely a nice man. On the table Key noticed a photo of Mr. Park and two small kids. The man looked younger in the picture so the kids were probably a little older now. A family man.

 

“Your name?” – Mr. Park’s voice brought Key back to reality.

“Kim Kibum, sir.”

“Aw… Sit down Mr. Kim.” – Key did as he was told. – “So…. Is there anything I can help you with/”

“Umm… I am new and I would like to have my schedule.”

“Oh!!! Sorry... I didn’t realize you were new. Let me see…. Kim Kibum, Kim Kibum…. Ah!!! Found it.” – Mr. Park pulled out a paper from his drawer and handed it to Key. – “Here you go.”

“Thank you very much, sir” – Key stood up, bowed and exited the room. After he closed the door he heard a quiet “Have a great first day”

 

So far school was going great but Key had a feeling it would change. He looked at his schedule.