Romance Plots

Making Mistakes the Right Way {a writing tip thread}

This topic was requested by IcyWish, who I met quite recently! ^^ Anyway, she said something about "not using the same plots for romance." I did cover "overused plots," which is circling around the same idea, but I guess I didn't really go into much depth about it. I sort of just ranted and that's it. I'll try my best to talk about it and share your thoughts on this too! (: 


In all romance stories (which is more than half of the fanfictions on AFF, and pretty much in all books, there's a little bit of romance), they have two characters meet up and fall for each other. Isn't that lovely. I mean, I really love romance novels, it's just the kind of thing I read. I rarely read any adventure ones or fantasy ones. 

There are plots where two people hate each other, and later on fall in love. I find it a little hard to apply this "plot" into real life. Yeah, it might just be me thinking this way, but honestly. Imagine if you hated this bully, would you fall in love with him/her? I mean, that may be the most extreme situation, but still. I don't know why, but when there's a love triangle, there's always the couple who everybody ships, then the lonely guy. What if...the main character didn't end up with either? That's something new, and it probably will stand out compared to the other fanfictions. Of course, the story's readers would be like, "NOO. But she should end up with [insert name here]." Well not all love stories have a happy ending you know? Not all romance novels have a couple at the end of the story.

I think we should try something new than the classic love triangle. Maybe a love square? That'd be pretty cool to read. I mean, that's sort of what happened during Dream High 2. (JB and Kang Sora, Jinwoon and Kang Sora, Jiyeon and JB, Jinwoon and Jiyeon). If you guys watched Dream High 2, maybe you would understand. But basically, I think the love triangle is getting a little old. Sure, when I read love triangle stories, I'm just like, "HAH IN YOUR FACE. YOU GOT COMPETITION NOW. WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT!?" But like really. I want to read something new now! 

Love square or forbidden love or no couple at the end of the story!

I'll leave you guys to think about that. Feel free to comment below on your thoughts and feel free to request any topics! I'll respond to your comments asap. ♥