Character Descriptions

Making Mistakes the Right Way {a writing tip thread}

Character descriptions. Five words. I don't believe in them. Reason? Just cause. I'm not even joking. I believe that readers must use their own imagination and label the characters' personalities. You don't just tell your readers about your characters. It's not as simple as that. Because if it were, then I'd assume everybody use character descriptions. Using your writing ability, you must show your readers the characters' personalities. However, if it were just simple background information on the characters, then fine. I don't care, you do that. But...not personalities. You don't tell your readers that characters are like this. The readers themseleves have to figure their personalities. That's the fun of being a reader. Don't out the joy of figuring out personalities. 


Things that are okay to be seen in character descriptions: relationships with other characters/background information (example: where they study at, etc.) 

EXAMPLE:

sungshiwon

20120906_seoulbeats_answerme19974.png

-best friend to Yoon Yoon Jae

-18 years old

(lool, yes, I used Jung Eunji who plays the main character in "Reply 1997", since I'm watching that drama right now.) 


The character description above is completely fine, since you just gave the relationship between her and Yoon Yoon Jae (who is played by Seo In Gook). However, if you said she had mood swings quite frequently, then that's a big no. Don't give away their personalities, let us, READERS, figure it out ourseleves. Simple as that. I guess you can go as far as writing Sung Shi Won as a "crazy fangirl of H.O.T" but that's all you can go up to. Nothing more. Got that? 


Now what really ticks me off is how everybody uses generic words to describe their characters. Like, you already went to describing your character and telling us their personality, but now you're using words that are frequently used. A BIG NO. Sometimes I just skip over character descriptions, because I hate to be told their personalities! 

EXAMPLE:

Yoon Eunmi-

-playful, sometimes considered a cold ice princess

-shy

-smart

-nerd

-pretty

LIKE. SERIOUSLY. USE A THESAURUS IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TELL US WHAT THEIR PERSONALITIES ARE LIKE. Also, I find it quite impossible how she can be shy and a cold ice princess at the same time. At times, the character descriptions mismatch each other, so this is why I do not reccommend character descriptions!