Gaze of Innocence

Labyrinth of the Past

~ Chapter 2 ~
“Gaze of Innocence”

I woke up at dawn. I think I am too excited for going to school. I don’t know why. When I was taking a bath, I usually do my habit, which is to sing my favorite song and as well to rehearse my voice. We will take a half day today. We need to focus in the rehearsal for the Harucon (spring “春” Concert). We want our fans to be satisfied and smile with us.

I greeted Mom, Dad, neechan and oniichan with smile. I wonder if that was ironic. I feel like I was having a good mood.

“Oh, what happened to you? You seem to be energetic now?” my dad asked.

“Uh-h, not really. I was just hyped up.”

My dad is working at a Notary Public. He is a Public Prosecutor in Japan, while my Mom is a housewife. My Older Sister is a College Graduate and working at a Communication Service Company and my older brother is engaged to a model here in Japan.

“For what reason?” my brother insisted. There was a long silence.

“We have rehearsal so I’m excited. We will have half day at school to rehearse for the upcoming concert.” Their faces seemed to be agreed on my answer.

After we eat breakfast I headed to the couch to pick my bag and I’m ready to go to school.

“I need to go. See you later. Maybe I will come late and we will have dinner there with them.” I stated and went outside.

Along my way, I saw her, Haru. She was rwalking and has a gloomy face. I somehow felt an embarrassment on my feelings. I do not know why. As I reach the school I parked my bike and she was there too.

“It’s my chance to talk to her.” I pointed in my mind.

But she was quick and I wasn’t able to reach her. I was quite disappointed.

I saw Hikaru with Daiki and with another man. He seems to be familiar.

“Yo Yabu chan. Ohayoo!” Hikaru greeted me with his usual face.

“Yo. Ohayou. Hey Daiki, it seems that you’re not late today.” I exclaimed. He smiled.

“Hey, don’t just answer me with your smile.” We laughed.

“Uh, by the way. Who’s he?” I asked.

“He’s Ren Natsumi. Remember?” Hikaru responded.

“Ah, yeah. I remember.”

“Hajime mae, I'm Ren Natsumi, from the University Class.” He introduced himself.

“Oh, Im Yabu Kota.” I finished my introduction with that. I don’t like long conversation about me.

“Oh, yoroshiku onegai shimasu.”

“Let’s go now. Class will start soon.” Hikaru ended the dead air.

As we walk to go to our classrooms, I saw her again. She’s back In my mind again. She was alone in near the vendo machine.

I passed by and.. “anou. . “ she spoke. I was shocked. Nervous.

“Hai?”

“I wonder if the vendo machine is broken..” I was perplexed.

“uh, why? Let me see.” I responded with such heroic speech. Is it to impress? I do not know.

“It looks like it is.” I answered after I checked the machine.

“Oh. My money is there. How can I get that back?” she was sad.

“oh, don’t be upset. We’ll get that back.”

The bell rang, “anou, Im Haru Mikage from the University class. I wonder if we can meet some time but I need to go. I’ll be late. You should hurry too.”

“Oh. Im Yabu. Yabu Kota. Yeah. You’re right. See you around.”

“ah! Thank you yabu kun. See you” she’s in a hurry.

I am happy. I headed back to the classroom and Hikaru was waiting for me.

“Ne, where have you been? You’re almost late.”

“Oh, I went to the vendo machine to get something to ate something.”I answered.

“Oi!” Hikaru said In a loud voice. I was shocked. “don’t lie to me. It’s not break time right?”

“I’m not lying.”

“Oh. Really? I saw you.” “saw me what?”

“saw you with.,,” the teacher entered. I was thinking if Hikaru is angry.

The class finished. I sat next to Hikaru and talked to him.

“Hika chan. Are you angry with me?or what?”

“no I’m not.” He laughed. “You always think negative. Do you think I’m like that?” He continued.

“Oh. I’m sorry.” I laughed too. “to tell you the truth, she’s in the vendo machine.” He looked at me with shock. “I passed by and she talked to me…” I told him the whole story and he was happy.

“Small things really put Hikaru in happiness.” I said on my mind.

~*~*~*~*~*~

We have our excuse slips passed on the Head so we’re ready to go. The van is waiting outside the gate to fetch us.

“Yossha~ I’m excited ne.” Hikaru said in his always smiling and energetic face.

“Yeah. We’re there so just wait for us yo.” Daiki exclaimed.

“Ne, Yabu kun..” Chinen speaks “Yabu kun?” he continued.

“Where’s Yabu kun?” Yamada also spoke.

“I wonder where did he go.” Hikaru articulated.

I saw them waiting for me. “oh, what’s the matter?” I asked innocently.

“Where did you go?” Hikaru asked me. I did not respond.

“O'm sorry I forgot something." I lied.

"Okay stop it already. Let’s go. Others are waiting for us.” Hikaru just said to finish the conversation.

“Im sorry. I went upstairs to look at her.” I finally said to Hikaru.

“Huh?” Hikaru was shocked. “Why are you looking for her?” he continued.

“I guess I just want to say good bye?” I said.

“Huh? For what reason ne?”

“I don’t know. Really. My body just go without noticing.”

“Did you see her?”

“No. So I just went to the vendo to buy something.” I continued. Hikaru sighed.

On our way to the rehearsal,

“Uh, Yabu, yabu, look.” Hikaru waked me up.

“What is it?”

“Hayakku.”

“okay. So what was…” I didn’t finish my line and I was shocked on what Hikaru was saying. “it?..”

“It’s her right?” Hikaru said. It’s her. Haru Mikage.

“Why’s she’s there at the park? Walking unconsciously?It’s still school hours? How did she get out of school?” I said on my mind.

“What was it Yabu kun, Hikaru kun?” Daiki asked us. “Uh, it’s Haru right?” He continued.

“Yes.” We answered.

“Why she’s there?” he asked.

“We don’t know.” I answered him.

“Stop right here.” I yelled on the driver. The driver was shocked.

“Why?”

“Just a moment.”

The van stopped. Yamada, Chinen were awake.

“What’s happening?”

“Go on first. I’ll go after. I will just deal for it.” I said.

“Huh?” they were all asking.

“Please.” I begged. They didn’t answer. I jumped off the van and ran towards Haru.

At this moment all I ever think is her. Why is she here? Why is she alone? Why is she unaware of what’s happening to her?Why is she mysterious? And why I am running towards her?

As I reached her, she still ignorant on who is beside her until I speak.

“Ne,” I’m sighing. “What are you doing here? It’s very hot and you’re just walking.”

She didn’t answer.

“Haru?” I whispered on her ears. Her hair is sweet-scented of my favorite lavender shampoo. I was set in paradise. No!! Concentrate.

She was now aware. “oh. Yabu kun. It’s you. Why you’re here?” She said.

“I’m sorry for barging myself here. But I am the one who must ask you. What are you doing here?” I said.

Before she answer a group of luxury cars and police cars arrived. She was shocked. She held my hand and ran. I was shocked and innocent.